VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing with emulators recently and for some reason, none of the options to prevent the screensaver from activating work under XP. Either they simply don't work when checked, or the option is grayed out. So after playing the game for a while, my screensaver suddenly kicks in and I have to stop and move the mouse or press a key. Then there's horrible lag for 2-3 seconds while it redraws the emulator screen and resumes the display.

Unfortunately none of the instructions on the net for allowing a USB controller to wake the computer apply to XP.

I know that I can disable the screensaver, and that there are small programs that will temporarily disable it while they're running, but I was hoping there might be a small program that could run all the time in the background and when it detects USB input, simulate a key press. I know this will work because if I run a program like Joy To Key and map a key to the game controller, it keeps the screensaver at bay as long as the controller is being used.

I don't really want to have to run Joy To Key every time I run an emulator though. I was hoping for something that could just run in the background, doing nothing when the game controller isn't plugged in.

Does anyone know of a program like this?

Reply 1 of 1, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may want to double-check your power saving settings (also in the BIOS, also under mouse settings and display settings), because this problem certainly doesn't apply to all Windows XP systems (I've never encountered this).