VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheKeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just spent a frustrating couple of days trying to register for this board. I've created at least a half-dozen accounts on this board with half a dozen different e-mail addresses -- all at Yahoo -- and always with the same result: I get the "an e-mail has been sent to your e-mail address" confirmation, but no e-mail ever arrives (yes, I've checked my spam box). When I finally tried a separate private e-mail that I never give out, the activiation e-maill arrived immediately and I was able to register.

I understand -- even if I don't like -- the policy of not accepting Yahoo e-mails. However, it would be nice to actually be TOLD this sometime during the registration process. Instead, I spent a frustrating two days waiting for e-mails that apparently were never sent.

Can someone please confirm that it is policy to reject Yahoo e-mails, and then add this message to the registration process so people will know what's going on?

TheKeeper

Reply 1 of 21, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I would probably go complaining to the other side. Why yahoo does not accept mails from here? If this board wrote "an e-mail has been sent to your e-mail address", then it probably sent it, but yahoo did not accept it.

Disclaimer: I did not try whether this is true or not. I do not use yahoo.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 21, by TheKeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using Yahoo for several years, and I've never seen it reject an e-mail from anywhere. It DOES have excellent spam filters which will reroute suspect e-mails to a spambox, but it has never rejected or deleted an e-mail.

This isn't the first time, on the other hand, I've run across activation policies which refuse to accept free e-mail addresses (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) for security reasons. But it's the first time they've failed to notify the registrant as to what's going on.

TheKeeper

Reply 3 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

A previous thread on the same subject (Yahoo and non-delivery of confirmation e-mails): Re: Getting latest CVS builds

So - what is it?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 21, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just for the record.
I registered in this board using a yahoo account and everything worked properly (I got the registration email).
This was on september '03 and with a yahoo.es account.

Iampiti

Reply 5 of 21, by The_Keeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, thank you MiniMax. I had previously read the thread; however, nothing seemed to have been resolved there, so I thought I'd open a new one -- a second log tossed on the fire, as it were.

------------------
-- The_Keeper --
------------------
"The road to the south is impassible. Absolutely impossible to pass. Impassible."

Reply 6 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Trying to collect some facts.....

iampiti reports that .....@yahoo.es worked fine in 2003.
The_Keeper reports that ....@yahoo.com is blocked.
The_Keeper reports that ....@richter.org is fine.
The_Keeper reports that ....@hotmail.com is fine.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2004-05-21, 15:19. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 21, by The_Keeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The addresses I originally tried were all @yahoo.com, all unsuccessful. The address that eventually worked for me was @richter.org.

I have a Hotmail account as well, which I didn't try. I'll do so now and report back.

------------------
-- The_Keeper --
------------------
"The road to the south is impassible. Absolutely impossible to pass. Impassible."

Reply 10 of 21, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never did try a Yahoo email but that's because I don't use it that much. I have a @mail.com account which has several other account ends like @techie.com. Seems to work for me.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 11 of 21, by Guest

User metadata

No luck with my private e-mail account. It has to be a probelm with this site, I've never encountered any problems with my private or hotmail account trashing an e-mail. My spam filters are completely disabled. I can't resubmit them because the site says the the e-mails accounts are already registered but I can't log on because they aren't activated. What the hell am I supposed to do, grab every free e-mail service I can find and bombard this site with addresses until it decides to let one through? Are the people who run this site even aware that the problem exists?

Reply 17 of 21, by Netskimmer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to tell Qbix that I tried a different e-mail under the username Netskimmer1 when this one didn’t work. Since this one is active there’s no need to leave that one stuck in your system ever-awaiting verification.

Reply 18 of 21, by ESPN_STI_2

User metadata

I seem to have the same problem with Hotmail.

I registered under ESPNSTI and ESPN_STI using two different hotmail email addresses.

The second time I made sure I had junk email filtering set to default, automatic deletion of junk email off and I added www.vogons.org to the safe list before registering, but it still didn't work.

Can't say I've had this problem with any other forum / company / person before with hotmail.

Could you be so kind as to activate ESPNSTI (and delete ESPN_STI) please? 😁

Thanks.