VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We have a sub forum for DOS and Windows but, these tend to include game questions as well. Why not separate these to where the DOS and Window's sub forums are for any OS questions or problems or such. Then make just a single sub forum for game questions or problems (for both DOS and Windows).

Reply 2 of 2, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While I realize that forums do change with the times, the intention for the DOS and Windows forums back in 2002 when VOGONS began (15th anniversary is coming soon!) was to channel discussion on how to setup/configure/troubleshoot old DOS games on new Windows systems (in those days, Windows NT4/2000/Windows XP-based systems), and how to setup/configure/troubleshoot old Windows (Windows 3.1/95/98/Me) games on new Windows systems.

Largely these forums were used as a "staging area" which eventually turned discussion of tips, tricks, hacks, unofficial patches, etc. into wiki pages and tutorial websites and eventually into the easy-to-download-and-install GOG.com / Steam downloads of today. (well, we'd like to think so, anyways.)

It's where the acronym VOGONS (Very Old Games On New Systems) comes from. So repurposing these forums unintentionally reworks the entire website. The initial intent was all about gaming.

For the most part, at least two (if not more) of VOGONS original members and moderators would like those forums to still be used *only* for the discussion of running old games on new operating systems. For old-times' sake, and the acronym/name of the site, etcetera.

If you were posting in the "Windows" and "DOS" topics about running DOOM on your Windows 95 retro PC box it would be, therefore, off-topic - and need to be moved.

This is why Marvin now has a "Software" sub-forum.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto