VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't realize few days ago the world suffered from WannaCry ransomware attack. Somehow it didn't come to my attention. When the attack happened, I was working with my assistant, sharing work files using Windows share folders. We did not experience the attack, though. In fact, I just knew about WannaCry attack from socmed last night.

It should be noted that all computers in my home office use Windows XP (we have Windows 7 on virtual machine which is only turned on when necessary), and I read WannaCry doesn't target Windows XP (here and here). Probably that's the reason I didn't experience WannaCry attack?

The board seems to be quiet about WannaCry as well. Maybe it's because most of us still use old operating systems, so we're not being infected?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 57, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, for one, it has to first infect one of your machines, which from my understanding is only possible through either:
1. successful phishing attack
2. being transmitted through the SMB protocol from another machine that has access to your network.

So if nobody where you are opened up an infected scam email you would most likely not be able to have your computers infected.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 57, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some cheap or free mitigations:
1) hosted anti-spam service
2) CryptoPrevent software restriction policies
3) filtering DNS servers (for if you do click that link)

edit: the Wikipedia entry seems to indicate the XP is vulnerable, as MS apparently released the SMB patch for it:

The Windows vulnerability is not a zero-day flaw, but one for which Microsoft had made available a security patch on 14 March 2017,[20] nearly two months before the attack. The patch was to the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol used by Windows.[47][48] Organizations that lacked this security patch were affected for this reason, although there is so far no evidence that any were specifically targeted by the ransomware developers.[47] Any organization still running the older Windows XP[49] was at particularly high risk because, until 13 May,[3] no security patches had been released since April 2014.[50] Following the attack, Microsoft released a security patch for Windows XP.[3]

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 57, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I heard from a few other people in the sec. field that a new string of wannacry can infact outlook and send out emails and infact backup servers.
I don't know if that's true, as I have yet to deal with it first hand. Just water cooler talk around the office so to say.

Ether way I just patched up about 30 odd some XP systems with the new M$ patch and our 7 computers should have installed the patch on their own. We probably don't need the patch with how our networks and systems are setup, but you can never be to careful.

But so far I'm good.

EDIT:
The patch can be found here.
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Searc … spx?q=KB4012598

Reply 4 of 57, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't even use SMB, hell I'm a Linux user primarily.

WannaCrypt has a really strange killswitch though... and unless the malware author's have modified their program the virus is now useless because a malware researcher has registered the domain name it checks for and started a webserver responding to that domain name.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 57, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

There is already a version 2.0 that nullified that fix.
Even still a new pice of malware could used the same vulnerability so one better patch your systems.

Reply 6 of 57, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm still not clear on how this is worse than any other crypto malware. If the SMB flaw is patched, aren't you still susceptible to infection if you fall for the phishing attack? I thought SMB was the method of infecting other systems in a network once one user falls for the phishing attack. Is the big news because mostly XP systems (that were unpatched) are getting hit? I read something about 90% of UK healthcare systems are still running XP.

Reply 7 of 57, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I could be wrong, I haven't had the time to fully test the worm and patch.
But it's my guess that the patch stops it from spreading after an infection takes place.

Reply 8 of 57, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

I'm still not clear on how this is worse than any other crypto malware. If the SMB flaw is patched, aren't you still susceptible to infection if you fall for the phishing attack? I thought SMB was the method of infecting other systems in a network once one user falls for the phishing attack. Is the big news because mostly XP systems (that were unpatched) are getting hit? I read something about 90% of UK healthcare systems are still running XP.

It seems the correct news is "90% of UK health care system has at least one Windows XP PC.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 9 of 57, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I received an email infection attempt from an older worm within the last week, too, but I doubt it was this ransomware, but more some older thing. It was an attached .doc file claiming to contain some codes for some Bitcoin trading platform, and I couldn't even get the copy of Office in my throwaway non-networked VM to open the file, so I guess it was a dud from a really old infection that still hasn't been cleaned up.

Reply 10 of 57, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

It seems the correct news is "90% of UK health care system has at least one Windows XP PC.

...without a support contract covering security holes, as one Jeremy Hunt (Conservatives) was so graceful to cancel it because it cost too much a few years back 😠 . And many NHS systems are indeed still running Windows XP because they are specced too low to use anything Windows later than XP.

As for not getting hit by the worm on unpatched XP systems, that may be related to your firewall system (certain ports blocked), having SMB disabled, and not being stupid enough to click on a spam email's attachment.

Reply 11 of 57, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...without a support contract covering security holes, as one Jeremy Hunt (Conservatives) was so graceful to cancel it because it cost too much a few years back 😠 . And many NHS systems are indeed still running Windows XP because they are specced too low to use anything Windows later than XP.

As for not getting hit by the worm on unpatched XP systems, that may be related to your firewall system (certain ports blocked), having SMB disabled, and not being stupid enough to click on a spam email's attachment.

The systems still running XP are generally because of needing to run old software (for which there is no replacement) that isn't compatible with Windows 7. Also most of NHS systems where switched off as a precaution rather than actual infection.

Reply 12 of 57, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lvader wrote:

The systems still running XP are generally because of needing to run old software (for which there is no replacement) that isn't compatible with Windows 7. Also most of NHS systems where switched off as a precaution rather than actual infection.

Another reason for the mess has turned up:

Microsoft made a Windows XP patch back in February, yet did not release it back then

Guess what the build date of the "recent" Windows XP patch is?

I hope M$ end up in court over this.

Reply 14 of 57, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

And yet Kevin Beaumont deliberately infect XP computers with it (here and here), and he failed to make the computers infected.

Realistically, XP user base is only about 7% now; only a quarter of Windows 10 user base. Since hackers write Ransomware for profit, it makes more sense for them to target Windows 7, which has the largest user base, or Windows 10, whose user base is growing.

I'm not saying XP is absolutely safe; I recently installed CryptoPrevent on my XP computers. I just wonder if WannaCry makers ignore Win XP because they didn't think XP is worth it.

Reply 15 of 57, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Errius wrote:

They're under no obligation to support an expired OS. People were warned to move off XP years ago.

This. How ever xp pos and embedded are still supported and I'm betting people that pay for support got that patch sooner.

Reply 16 of 57, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
And yet Kevin Beaumont deliberately infect XP computers with it (here and here), and he failed to make the computers infected. […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote:

And yet Kevin Beaumont deliberately infect XP computers with it (here and here), and he failed to make the computers infected.

Realistically, XP user base is only about 7% now; only a quarter of Windows 10 user base. Since hackers write Ransomware for profit, it makes more sense for them to target Windows 7, which has the largest user base, or Windows 10, whose user base is growing.

I'm not saying XP is absolutely safe; I recently installed CryptoPrevent on my XP computers. I just wonder if WannaCry makers ignore Win XP because they didn't think XP is worth it.

I had a xp VM I was able to infect.
Maybe there is more then one stran of the malware?
I can also confirm that the patch only prevents it from spreading.
this is my experience with the 2.0 version

Reply 17 of 57, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I run XP on the system I use for online gaming at the moment.

It still gets updates and I'm not the least worried about it's security. The system is not behind a router as I want low latency and I do not run any kind of anti virus software either.

I dont visit shady sites, don't open shady attachments, don't download shady files and keep the Windows firewall enabled.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 18 of 57, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

I run XP on the system I use for online gaming at the moment.

It still gets updates and I'm not the least worried about it's security. The system is not behind a router as I want low latency and I do not run any kind of anti virus software either.

I dont visit shady sites, don't open shady attachments, don't download shady files and keep the Windows firewall enabled.

You are brave not running behind a router. You're basically putting all your trust in Windows Firewall. To me that sounds like it would put more strain on the system, as your CPU now has to do all the network filtering, rather than the router.

Other than running behind a router/firewall, I do the same as you. I don't use A/V either. But I have a real firewall (IPFire) with an intrusion prevention system and transparent proxy. Plus filtering DNS servers and CryptoPrevent software retriction policies.