VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Relatively recently I discovered Haxima, a free open source RPG that closely follows in the footsteps of the earlier Ultima games both in visual style and gameplay mechanics. While there are many different modern recreations (both open- and closed-source) of various popular games from previous decades, it seems that this is one-of-a-kind project amidst a dearth of similarly styled RPGs (not counting roguelikes), compared to a plethora of "Ultima clones" released for the DOS platform (many are listed here).

At least, I have so far found no other open source game that would bear any significant similarity to Ultima and/or other titles like WarWizard, The Aethra Chronicles, the Exile series or Realmz. A quick check of MobyGames seems to yield almost exclusively Japanese style/RPG Maker-esque titles among recently released top-down RPGs.

That said, do you know of any modern (by which I mean released in the past ten years or so) RPG games, open source or not, that would be (intentionally) similar to the titles I have listed above? I know about Classic Blades of Exile but that's a source port and not a new game. Ultima engine recreations don't count, of course.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games