VOGONS

Common searches

AMD Ryzen CPUs dominate TechReport's May 2017 System Guide

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup, here's the link. You could see it here where Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X dominated the Sweet Spot chart.

How about High End suggestions? Well, it's completely dominated by Ryzen 7, where all high end CPU suggestions are AMD's. Intel, on the other hand, is nowhere to be seen, so it is safe to say TechReport no longer suggests Intel CPU's for high-end systems.

I say let's follow TechReport's suggestion, shall we?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 54, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

It depends on the software that will be used on that PC. For rendering, file compression, non-HEVC video encoding and other multitasking heavy applications absolutely. For gaming, <=4 threads applications and other applications that require a lot of inter-core communication... Ryzen isn't a very good choice. Also AVX2 is inferior to Intel implementation.

Don't forget this CPU is in fact a 2-way NUMA system... which doesn't report itself as such to the OS and thus there are issues with the scheduler. This will be even worse with the upcoming 16-core CPUs (quad-NUMA) and 32-core server variants (8-way 😲 ). Also most boards are still seriously bugged from what I've heard, mostly related to RAM compatibility.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 54, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:

It depends on the software that will be used on that PC. For rendering, file compression, non-HEVC video encoding and other multitasking heavy applications absolutely. For gaming, <=4 threads applications and other applications that require a lot of inter-core communication... Ryzen isn't a very good choice. Also AVX2 is inferior to Intel implementation.

Ah, but for gaming, I'd rather spend my money on GPU instead of some expensive Intel CPU.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 54, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, but for gaming, I'd rather spend my money on GPU instead of some expensive Intel CPU.

If CPU is the bottleneck, then more expensive GPU won't help. And the fact is CPU is the bottleneck quite often, especially when running hi-refresh LCD (120+ Hz).

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 8 of 54, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
awgamer wrote:

AMD is supposed to come out with a version 2 ryzen in 2018.

One Ryzen at a time please. Ryzen 7 1700 - octocore 65 Watts... 😀

If the successor has more than 8 cores and or uses equal or less than 65 watts I'm in! 😎
Oh and make sure the motherboard can support 128GB or 256GB. More memory slots please.

Reply 9 of 54, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes I feel like putting money aside to replace my gaming FX-8350 PC with a Threadripper system because it sounds so cool.. AMD have been underdogs in CPUs for so long that seeing them on top of the game again is a joy to my eyes.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 54, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Sometimes I feel like putting money aside to replace my gaming FX-8350 PC with a Threadripper system because it sounds so cool.. AMD have been underdogs in CPUs for so long that seeing them on top of the game again is a joy to my eyes.

Indeed... Even though the i7-7700K is on par with this processor but I just can't help to see if 8 cores can be seen under XP with this beauty. I'm just so tired of quad core.

Reply 14 of 54, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Glued together 🤣. I wonder what kind of glue they used for Pentium 4 Dual Core chips..

Or c2q chips, or sandy-bridge chips...

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 15 of 54, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't it contradictory that the so called Zen architecture could give birth to a Thread'ripper'?

Here's hoping that a healthy competition materializes that up(s) innovation / down(s) prices, contrary to cheap tactics & something like this. Granted one might not be better than the other, still, one would expect an already established behemoth to have acted more honorably when met with genuine competition. Or was it too much to ask even in those days?

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 16 of 54, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snorg wrote:
Some more news: […]
Show full quote

Some more news:

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/07/13/amd_t … by_as_much_1000

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/07/13/intel … epyc_processors

Intel must be getting a bit scared if they have to resort to name calling.

I admit, I'm getting excited.

200.webp#0-grid1

Looks like it's becoming obvious that Intel has trouble getting back into gear and had gotten lazy again.
Intel resorting to throwing mud... 😵

I was very wary at first about Ryzen, but it's definitely looking like a successful comeback here 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 54, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:

If CPU is the bottleneck, then more expensive GPU won't help. And the fact is CPU is the bottleneck quite often, especially when running hi-refresh LCD (120+ Hz).

Not to mention it's usually the single-threaded performance of the CPU that bottlenecks the GPU (which is only logical if you think about it: the CPU has to feed instructions to the GPU, this has to be done in a fixed order. You can't have multiple cores feeding instructions to a GPU at the same time, it needs to be synchronized).
Intel CPUs with high single-threaded performance aren't necessarily more expensive than AMD Ryzen CPUs.
Which is probably part of the reason why the Pentium G4560 is their budget choice.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 18 of 54, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Glued together 🤣. I wonder what kind of glue they used for Pentium 4 Dual Core chips..

They point out that AMD's solution results in 'inconsistent performance'.
I don't know if that is true or not, but you at the very least can't say that from Intel's multi-chip module CPUs from the past.
In fact, the first Pentium D (8xx) was a single core, they weren't MCM until the second generation (9xx), and performance didn't suffer one iota from it.

The Core2 Quad was a bit of a strange beast, since each dualcore had its own shared L2 cache. So there was some inconsistency in caching. This did not amount to problems in practice though. There was good cache synchronization, and OS schedulers would try to keep threads on the same cores anyway, so by default on the same die/cache as well.

MCM isn't necessarily bad, just like single-die isn't necessarily good. It all depends on the execution.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 19 of 54, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure if most are happy that now, there is someone to make Intel uncomfortable sitting on it's king of the CPU throne any longer, or if they are genuinely happy that AMD is making progress, after a long hiatus of filling the highest end CPU category.

I seriously thought of getting an AMD during my previous main upgrade, but I decided, Intel's i7 4790K was a much better alternative (at that time), especially when it came to efficiency and heat production, and yet, still runs smooth and fast.

I won't be upgrading soon, but I'm genuinely happy, that AMD is giving a serious competition to Intel in terms of CPU prowess. I'm not merely happy that it can pose a threat to Intel, but it is able to give the common consumer a chance to own a more powerful system at the fraction of Intel's flagship CPUs costs.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers