VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 10 and Windows 7

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm planning to install Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 using a USB stick (i don't have any DVDs right now)but I said to myself "Is it really worth it?" Now, whoever is reading this topic,can you answer that question? Just so that I can see if i should install it or not.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 1 of 57, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 10 to my mind is much cleaner and simpler, much easier to use; in some respects it feels somewhat like a return to XP, whereas 7 was in retrospect a bit of a clunky aberration. I don't see why you'd want both 7 and 10 unless you have some specific reason to do so [in which case you'd already know].

From time to time I toy with the notion of merging my Vista/XP and 10/XP boxes together to make a Vista/10/XP/XP monster; the reason for keeping those OSs all running separately is pretty much the same reason people run VMs: to keep certain things ringfenced, to maintain old software [and two machines to give some backup ability]. Doesn't sound as though any of that is on your mind.

I think it's easy to get in the habit of keeping too many OSs running for the sake of it. I'd only do so where there is a genuine need. That said,lately I keep wondering whether I need a baremetal install of linux; think I'm just bored though 🤣 .

Reply 4 of 57, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 10 is great, I don't miss 7 and see no reason to have both. The tinfoil hat wearing spyware conspiracy theorists don't seem to like it but who cares?

I had a great experience with 10 recently running a game from 2006 that wasn't happy running on 7 - on 10 it runs like a dream.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 57, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok,you convinced me. I ain't instaling Windows 7. I also thought of installing Windows XP alongside Windows 10 for compatibility reasons, but I think that deserves another topic of it's own.(thanks lightmaster for teaching me a lesson about this)

Last edited by olddos25 on 2017-05-19, 22:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 15 of 57, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I loved Win7. After I decided to try out Win10 I eventually decided not to go back. I've been really happy with my experience. There are way more steps to turn the spyware stuff off but it is possible. The only thing I don't like is that right clicking and click/hold/dragging icons and stuff takes a half a second or so for the interface to "kick in". But otherwise I've really liked it. Very polished and runs more or less exactly like Win7 worked for me. I'm even still running some Win95/98 games with very little issues (at least, the same issues I had in Win7. There's really no difference). I don't see a reason not to just go with Win10.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 17 of 57, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Creators Update is even worse than Anniversary Update, believe me. Lots of glitches all around. Other than that, I really like w10. It needs a lot more polishing though, and to lose that "you are still using a beta" feeling.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 18 of 57, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Creators Update is even worse than Anniversary Update, believe me. Lots of glitches all around. Other than that, I really like w10. It needs a lot more polishing though, and to lose that "you are still using a beta" feeling.

I've never had that feeling once, but I guess I'm no power user. I play me some games, browse the interwebs, etc. Both of the big updates were seamless on the couple of PC's in our household, as was the upgrade from Windows 7 much to my amazement.

We're finally starting the process of upgrading to W10 from W7 at work and am looking forward to an expected speed increase.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 19 of 57, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

It seems to me like I keep hearing stories about disastrous Windows 10 updates (the "Anniversary Update" is the big one that comes to mind) that turn up unexpectedly and take ages to install before breaking everything.

I had to do a fresh install on one box to get Win10 updates working; it was 1607 that was the problem, causing many hours of updating followed by "returning to previous istallation". On my laptop, I just had to reset the machine. Neither exactly satisfactory [though it mean make me clear away my own form of bloatware 😜], but on my Vista machine I similarly had to manually install updates to get that updating again [the critical trigger seemed to be an ie9 update]. I await the next update breakage on any and all of these.

MusicallyInspired wrote:

The only thing I don't like is that right clicking and click/hold/dragging icons and stuff takes a half a second or so for the interface to "kick in".

Interesting, lately I have had problems with this in Excel, really hard to highlight and move rows around. I thought it was my mouse drivers or settings. Doesn't always have such severe problems but always seem a bit like moving through treacle. Is this just endemic to Windows 10? I haven't noticed it on my laptop but that uses a pad so is more fiddly anyway.