VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 10 and Windows 7

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 57, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never had the problem when I was running Win 7 on the same system.

I'd also just like to add that I've never had a single issue with updates ever. Anniversary or otherwise.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 21 of 57, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

We're finally starting the process of upgrading to W10 from W7 at work and am looking forward to an expected speed increase.

Now that its not free?!?!!?
...yeh got a few customers doing the same thing.

Cant think of any good reason, Only reason I would duel boot is because to me 7 feels like the last of an era. The start menu era?

Win10 is ok but I prefer Win7, but then I actually prefer XP its just not particle, I'll move up to 10 without too much complaint when the time comes, Hopefully it will have gotten past its beta feel, which I agree with, but defiantly useable as a daily OS

Reply 22 of 57, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the advices guys, but I'm not having any problems right now.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 24 of 57, by RichPimp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had debated doing this same thing. I upgraded from 7 to 10 during the free upgrade period, and for the most part I like the OS. I did have issues with some GOG games not working on 10, though it's been some time since I tested them and there may well be updated versions available. I don't like having to relearn how to do some of the basic tasks. It seems that they tried to mash everything into Settings, and the OS still has a few carryovers from Windows 8 that I hate (tiles, ugh). I installed a 3rd party app that mimics the start menu of Windows 9X/XP, so that mitigates a lot of my grief with it. These things are all par for the course whenever a new version comes out though. Ultimately, I decided to just stick with 10 as I can't justify it enough to keep 7. Bigger picture problem for me, I wish Microsoft would stop trying to integrate a mobile-friendly UI with a desktop UI. They really scaled it back from 8, which is a good thing, but just not enough for my tastes. Also, I don't like the current design trend of all graphical elements being flat, as in no drop shadows and no color gradients. When done right, it can really enhance the user experience. Or maybe I'm getting old and set in my ways.

Reply 25 of 57, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't Win10 have problems running some older copy-protected games? In that case, I can see why you would want to dual-boot. Win7 is such a pain in the ass to get working nowadays, I would rather just dual-boot with XP (if possible) for even better legacy support.

(However, there is the Team Grinder Win7 x64 ISO with updates through 12/2016. That might make life much easier for building a system for Win7 legacy gaming.)

More and more nowadays, I don't like gaming on my primary PC. Using a dedicated gaming PC just makes life easier because I know that if I screw things up, my main system won't be down for repairs. Keeping my primary separated from gaming just feels better lately. In the future, I can't see myself building another desktop as my primary. Laptops just make more sense if you're not gaming. Better power optimization, battery (UPS) built right in, and portability.

Reply 27 of 57, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When are you going to stop running Prince? Spikes ahead slow down, chill, and drink that potion. I'll hack the hour glass time for you.

From my experience testing MultiOs Boot 98SE, XP, 7, and 10.

People are correct that you get a bunch of defaulted to YES options for sending information to Microsoft on Windows 10. There are some others not in the setup process as well that you have to disable. Tin hats or what not it's still a bit invasive and could have been resolved by being defaulted No to all of those questions. Even testing out an internet unplugged W10 machine you will constantly get pestered to update versus Windows 7 where I've tested for a few months of not activating it still functions without the constant update nag pop up windows.

The only true asset to Windows 10 vs 7 that I can see is DX 12.0 for high end graphics cards. It is also a little easier to hook up CableCards to Windows 10 if you are a DVR user. But for the most part Windows 7 64-bit does everything you'll really need with Windows XP 32-bit to run probably 95% of all Windows software that exists. DOSbox would probably take care of 95% of the DOS based games on modern machines.

When it comes to Skylake and beyond.
Windows 7 has issues installing from USB devices which is what you are trying to do. You'll have to patch it so it supports USB 3.0 drivers so more steps are required to get this result. As for Windows 10 it works from the optical disc out of the box and the USB ports function without issue. It might work from off a USB device but I haven't tested this. So even USB optical drives will not work for installing Windows 7 without modifications to the ISO. As for XP you'll have to get a modified SATA AHCI XP driver and you can only install using a nLited optical disc. USB installing for XP is not possible anymore due to the xHCI USB 3.0 ports are non functional since Intel never created an official xHCI XP driver and thanks to Intel they also nuked the eHCI USB 2.0 backward compatibility out of them so you have to get a USB 2.0/3.0 card with XP driver support. Yes Intel and MS truly want to kill XP off but we won't let them. 😀

Reply 28 of 57, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
95DosBox wrote:

The only true asset to Windows 10 vs 7 that I can see is DX 12.0 for high end graphics cards. It is also a little easier to hook up CableCards to Windows 10 if you are a DVR user. But for the most part Windows 7 64-bit does everything you'll really need with Windows XP 32-bit to run probably 95% of all Windows software that exists. DOSbox would probably take care of 95% of the DOS based games on modern machines.

Yup, though I wonder if DX 12 (Direct3D 12 in particular) will ever gain any significance, now that there's OpenGL, Mantle and Vulkan.
The latter also has the advantage of beeing available on Linux and all Windows versions since XP.
Speaking of Windows XP x86, there's one thing I really like. DirectMusic. It's the last release to support SoftSynths via the DirectX API.
Other solutions exists, but use ancient Media Control Interface.

95DosBox wrote:

Yes Intel and MS truly want to kill XP off but we won't let them. 😀

That's the spirit! (^_^)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 29 of 57, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Yup, though I wonder if DX 12 (Direct3D 12 in particular) will ever gain any significance, now that there's OpenGL, Mantle and V […]
Show full quote
95DosBox wrote:

Yup, though I wonder if DX 12 (Direct3D 12 in particular) will ever gain any significance, now that there's OpenGL, Mantle and Vulkan.
The latter also has the advantage of beeing available on Linux and all Windows versions since XP.
Speaking of Windows XP x86, there's one thing I really like. DirectMusic. It's the last release to support SoftSynths via the DirectX API.
Other solutions exists, but use ancient Media Control Interface.

95DosBox wrote:

Yes Intel and MS truly want to kill XP off but we won't let them. 😀

That's the spirit! (^_^)

Yeah we won't let them gain that DX12 footing but MS is already using that in their XBone1 system to make it easier to port their games to the PC.

But in all honestly I would be in support of the 3rd party OpenGL, Mantle and Vulkan over DX12 because then MS can't enforce their mandatory OS upgrade shouting. But if anything I will only force support of DX11.1 games only as long as possible to avoid needing to use Windows 10 as a gaming OS. Mantle or Vulkan are good alternatives if they catch on so it won't be so OS dependent and the manufacturer can provide the proper software support for Windows 7 and who knows if those can be somehow ported for XP support?

Reply 32 of 57, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Creators Update is even worse than Anniversary Update, believe me. Lots of glitches all around. Other than that, I really like w10. It needs a lot more polishing though, and to lose that "you are still using a beta" feeling.

Isn't Windows 10 always a beta, with us the consumers being unpaid beta testers?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 33 of 57, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Creators Update is even worse than Anniversary Update, believe me. Lots of glitches all around. Other than that, I really like w10. It needs a lot more polishing though, and to lose that "you are still using a beta" feeling.

Isn't Windows 10 always a beta, with us the consumers being unpaid beta testers?

We're all guinea pigs of Microsoft. I'm holding out on really using Windows 10 on a main machine till a real cumulative SP1 comes out that irons out all the bugs. 😀

Reply 34 of 57, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
95DosBox wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

We're all guinea pigs of Microsoft. I'm holding out on really using Windows 10 on a main machine till a real cumulative SP1 comes out that irons out all the bugs. 😀

I've got news for you: They've released the equivalent of a "service pack" twice a year since its launch, and will probably continue to push out major feature updates on the same alternating cycle of opening up with a feature pack, then releasing a major fixes/updates pack against that one. Anniversary update, Creators' update, etc. If you're waiting for them to break their announced rolling updates scheme and release an actual "numbered" service pack, or possibly even jump straight to Windows "11", you're probably in for sore disappointment.

Now, if you're waiting for them to switch all consumers over to the same subscription based updates that they supply to enterprise, that may be in for a shorter wait. That may very well be the motivator to release a numbered service pack or major release number.

Reply 35 of 57, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kode54 wrote:

I've got news for you: They've released the equivalent of a "service pack" twice a year since its launch, and will probably continue to push out major feature updates on the same alternating cycle of opening up with a feature pack, then releasing a major fixes/updates pack against that one. Anniversary update, Creators' update, etc. If you're waiting for them to break their announced rolling updates scheme and release an actual "numbered" service pack, or possibly even jump straight to Windows "11", you're probably in for sore disappointment.

Now, if you're waiting for them to switch all consumers over to the same subscription based updates that they supply to enterprise, that may be in for a shorter wait. That may very well be the motivator to release a numbered service pack or major release number.

I'm in no rush. I'm actually trying to postpone the death of XP 32-bit as long as possible on modern machines and then when that time finally comes it will be the the same for W7 64-bit. W10 64-bit will either be called W10 5th Anniversary Edition or 10th Anniversary Edition unless they start enumerating to 11+. 😀 When the last graphics card officially supports Windows 7 64-bit is when I'll start grabbing those for legacy W7 gaming support. And I'm sure by then there will be quite beefy DX12 titles to try out as well on a matured W10 Final Anniversary Edition.

Reply 36 of 57, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just installed 32bit W10 Pro on a 10 year old laptop with 1GB RAM, and it installed and runs OK(ish) which is pretty amazing in my book. The HDD is the main bottleneck and obviously the lack of RAM will be an issue if I tried to do anything other than light web surfing and MS Word, but it's workable for the kids. I plan on running a version of Scratch on it - I just bought my eldest an mBot.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 37 of 57, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
95DosBox wrote:

assuming W10 can run all W7 software. 😀

I've yet to find something that doesn't. It's rather the other way around; compatibility with 9x-era games is better on 10 than 7.

kode54 wrote:

Anniversary update, Creators' update, etc. If you're waiting for them to break their announced rolling updates scheme and release an actual "numbered" service pack

But they are numbered, in a year-month scheme:

Windows 10 RTM - 1507
November Update - 1511
Anniversary Update - 1607
Creators Update - 1703

Plus there are separate build numbers in the form of 10.0.xxxxx.

Reply 38 of 57, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

assuming W10 can run all W7 software. 😀

I've yet to find something that doesn't. It's rather the other way around; compatibility with 9x-era games is better on 10 than 7.

Be wary and understand that many folks have 20+ years of MS betrayals behind their justified concerns and skepticism.

I've confirmed what I speculated earlier, so don't be hasty to surrender your Win7-x86 or WinXP-x86 boxen to Mr. Nadella just yet.

Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM

You can read more here.

I really hope that others will grab a copy of the Team Grinder Win7-x64 updated ISO, so as to prevent its extinction and ultimate disappearance. I really wish there were an x86 version, but I'll take what I can get and I plan to use it alongside a 32-bit WinXP installation for future compatibility.

With FalconFly falling to the wayside, I fear that VOGONS may be the last line of defense when it comes to old software.

Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2017-05-28, 21:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39 of 57, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM

This is actually a good thing and can easily be worked around with a no-CD patch.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers