First post, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the exact same 'problem' as the OP on this forum:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/281104-33 … ards-hdmi-input
7 year old post...

Will shortly be forced to upgrade to a GET-box decoder, with only HDMI out.
And I have NO TV(at all), or any PC based tuner with HDMI in...

Any internal pci(e) cards or USB dongles etc etc, that can be my HDMI PAL PC tuner ?
What items/names/models to look for on ebay or webshops ?
Must have HDCP apparantly(!).

I am not planning to buy an actual TV any time soon, so....

Reply 1 of 9, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't know your entire system specs but I do DVRing all the time.

If you are capturing off an HDMI output from a set top box you need to get a HDMI splitter that decrypts the HDCP signal then you can use a Haupaugge HD PVR 2 to capture HDMI that is decrypted and it will show up in the software they use inside a window.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_h … vr2-gaming.html

On eBay it's hard to tell which HDMI splitters have the HDCP removed so it's a hit or miss when buying but that's the only way to get that HDMI input signal. If you can't disable the HDCP then you will not get any picture to record.

Reply 2 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, but all I really want is to be able to watch TV on my PC monitor... 😀

I currently have an ancient analog TV-card (pci) installed in my PC, with plain coax in. No decoder or card whatsoever. Wall cable connected directly to that card, and programs then shows up via the old software. Picture is not that great (no HD/analog only) but works fine for my very simple use...

- But, the new mandatory decoder has only HDMI out, which does not fit into my TV-cards input/antenna plug.

Any capturing ability would be a bonus I suppose, but is not really needed.

Basically, I'd need 'something' that can be connected to or installed in my PC or aging monitor, and that is able to take the HDMI output from the decoder box and give me sound and picture....
(no HDMI on my monitor/VGA+DVI only)

Maybe it would work (directly?) with a modern PC monitor with HDMI-input, but...
...would then probably need a TV-receiver capability as well, somewhere in the signal chain ?
Or would I also need a HDCP stripper thingy for this to work ?

I don't really know much about these things, but I know the old/current PC card is a (analog) receiver, so....

Maybe I'll eventually break down and buy an old used flatscreen TV with HDMI-input.. but I have no space for it, hence my wish to keep the programmes showing on the PC monitor... 😐

Reply 3 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think any PC monitor that support HDCP on HDMI or DVI-D will do just fine. What monitor do tou have now?

Edit: Did a quick test with a GET PVR and an "old" Benq E2400HD monitor, worked just fine. 😀

Last edited by Kamerat on 2017-05-26, 05:06. Edited 1 time in total.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 9, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh if you just want to watch TV since I'm unfamiliar with UK standards here in the US we have Over the Air picked up by antenna. It's Digital now. If you're just wanting to watch Free Local TV stations then I would try one of these two with a coaxial antenna like a Mohu Leaf 50.
https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Paper-thin-Revers … 4/dp/B00APPDX86

If you have only XP use this model for dual tuners:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr2250.html

If you have Windows 7 or higher use this newer model that has quad tuners.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_quadhd.html

Both require a PCIe slot. If you don't have PCIe slots then you can only use the USB tuners.

USB Single Tuner
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr955q.html

Or USB Dual Tuner
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_dualhd.html

All have WinTV software that works inside Windows so you don't need to upgrade to an HDMI TV / Monitor.

But if you must use paid Cable and want to get certain Cable channels than you need a CableCard from your Cable company to install into it to use with something like this. But you're going to need Windows 10 for easy installation. I got Windows 7 working but I had to hunt around for the older software version for it.
https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun- … r/dp/B004HKIB6E

This is the only way to get Cable type channels that aren't free in the US.

All these options will pipe the TV screen into your Windows OS. I can't say whether or not the CableCard one will work since I don't know if UK Cable companies use CableCards that are the same. The OTA tuner cards / USB tuners will work as long as the signal can be picked up by a coaxial antenna.

Last edited by 95DosBox on 2017-05-26, 05:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote:

Why not get an HDMI to DVI adapter? DVI is electrically identical to HDMI; such adapters are entirely passive and do nothing but rearrange the pins.

That would depend on your decoder.

Reply 6 of 9, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Suggested new purchase: Any of the SiliconDust HDHomeRun products that works in your region. They all attach to an Ethernet connection, tune into digital broadcasts or cable/satellite, and translate them into streams that you can view on just about any networked device. They also sell a DVR product, but it's not final, rather expensive for the first buy-in, and redundant if you already have a Plex Pass, sort of. Plex's DVR works with these products, but doesn't support live television viewing just yet.

The only exception to the HDHomeRun line is the Prime for US cable, because if your cable provider encrypts channels, it severely limits what you can do with them, even to the point of barring you from viewing them without the right operating system or client software. Off the air is good to go, though.

Or you can try adapting HDMI to DVI and use your existing tuner to watch the picture on your computer monitor. Just throwing options out there.

Reply 7 of 9, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kode54 wrote:

Suggested new purchase: Any of the SiliconDust HDHomeRun products that works in your region. They all attach to an Ethernet connection, tune into digital broadcasts or cable/satellite, and translate them into streams that you can view on just about any networked device. They also sell a DVR product, but it's not final, rather expensive for the first buy-in, and redundant if you already have a Plex Pass, sort of. Plex's DVR works with these products, but doesn't support live television viewing just yet.

The only exception to the HDHomeRun line is the Prime for US cable, because if your cable provider encrypts channels, it severely limits what you can do with them, even to the point of barring you from viewing them without the right operating system or client software. Off the air is good to go, though.

Or you can try adapting HDMI to DVI and use your existing tuner to watch the picture on your computer monitor. Just throwing options out there.

I'm using the NextPVR software that's free online with the HDHomeRun Prime + CableCard and receiving / recording the 3 channels if I need to. But this method would eliminate the need for the set top box with HDMI out he's trying to get the TV signal into his non HDMI input monitor. I also have the HDMI set top box since certain paid channels can't be viewed on the Prime so thus the HDMI Splitter HDCP remover is necessary to the HD PVR2 for viewing/recording. But the set top box is restricted to only one channel at a time. 🙁

Reply 8 of 9, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, their DVR software already supports recording CopyOnce channels, but you can only watch them live with the Windows 10 app, and the recordings are presumably being saved without preserving whatever key they're encrypted with at the time, so they're totally useless. I could be wrong, though.

I had my Prime running with Charter Spectrum for a while, and along with then 60/4 Internet was under $100. I stopped using their Internet service due to poor routing (dumb reason, since AT&T has similar poor routing from west to the east coast) and they only lopped $20 off my $90 bill, then said they were going to increase the price to over $100 because I wasn't bundling and my introductory pricing was wearing off. Cancelled that quickly, since I was the only one using it, and I was recording programming that nobody was watching because my parents were using our existing AT&T U-verse IPTV to record everything anyway, and space was not a concern because they simply delete everything after they've watched it. Plus, there was no way I was going to teach them how to use the HDHomeRun viewer, especially since it required a chain of events: Power on Amazon FireTV. Navigate to HDHomeRun icon. Click it. Navigate to channel using arrow keys, since the Android interface requires a touch event to trigger text search. Plus, fast forwarding through recordings was a real bitch and a half, because it doesn't support fast skipping through the video signal by key frames without decoding the whole thing, which this old FireTV does entirely in software anyway, so FF was limited to like a very choppy 2x.

Reply 9 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Why not get an HDMI to DVI adapter? DVI is electrically identical to HDMI; such adapters are entirely passive and do nothing bu […]
Show full quote
bestemor wrote:

Why not get an HDMI to DVI adapter? DVI is electrically identical to HDMI; such adapters are entirely passive and do nothing but rearrange the pins.

That would depend on your decoder.

Kamerat wrote:

I think any PC monitor that support HDCP on HDMI or DVI-D will do just fine. What monitor do tou have now?

Edit: Did a quick test with a GET PVR and an "old" Benq E2400HD monitor, worked just fine. 😀

Looks like this would be the 'easiest' and cheapest solution at the moment... All those other products costing $100+ is a bit more than I feel like paying for. But thankyou for all the suggestions, maybe some of them could be a better option, in particular if I at some point would want to record something.

I have currently a (mfg July 2009) Dell 2209WAf 20'' monitor (no HDMI), which apparantly is HDCP compliant.

So 'all' I have to do is seemingly either:

- find a HDMI converter, which splits the signal into DVI AND stereo sound, AND maintans the HDCP protocol.
(as I am convinced there will be no picture without...?)

- or use a different monitor which in addtion to HDMI-in has speakers and audio output (EIZO Foris 2333 is a viable option), so that I also get sound to my headset.

Not ideal, but what can you do, technological progress etc etc.... 🤣
The analog signals will die in a few months, going digital only and black screen for me. There is currently a very annoying message showing non-stop! when I watch TV about this very issue... 😵

Anyways, as I haven't received the new mandatory decoder box yet, any testing will have to wait....
Watching analog while I wait !