VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am posting this so that anyone who works in game development or manages for business that has some involvement with gaming needs to take notice and learn from this. Recently a big or somewhat big one that some of you already have some experience and that one is Wargaming, for those who do not know who they are Wargaming is the publisher of several games but mainly world of tanks. There was an incident where a popular reviewer and community contributor made an unfavorable video about WG's practices that resulted in a huge riot in their community after threatening to file a DMCA with youtube. In short is massively snow balled and now WG is experiencing one of the worst PR disasters that I have ever experienced with a gaming company.

Things to never do!
1: Threaten to abuse the copyright system or anything along the lines of dmca to suppress an opinion or fact on a third party platform because you didn't like what someone said.
2: Ruin game balance for the sake of short term profits.
3: Introduce game changes that force people to spend real money to remain competitive such as selling premium ammo ect.
4: Ignore long standing complaints such as poor map design, lack of class balance, match making, lack of diversity when it comes to meta.
5: Flooding the in game shop with op or broken items that are only available for real money making it to where it is pay to win.
6: Never be arrogant to your customers in the forums!
7: Copy paste customer service. 😠
8: Increase costs so an item that had once cost $30 now costs $54 ect after all this is digital goods!
9: Favor one region over all the others.

Can go on and on, only took them two days to shit the bed so bad that it looks as though the population will soon collapse. They alienated two regions and pissed a lot of people off which happen to be their cash cows.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 10, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really don't understand why anybody would want to play a "pay to win" type game. What's the fun in that? If you're playing for a challenge, the entire game is immediately unbalanced by some jackass willing to spend real money for some 1s and 0s that give him an unfair advantage.

PT Barnum was a prophet and a sage. Of that, I am 100% positive.

Reply 4 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's been 20 years since this "game". They beat World of Tanks to the pay-for-ammo punch

Attachments

• tanksuckit.png
    Filename
    tanksuckit.png
    File size
    57.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

It's been 20 years since this "game". They beat World of Tanks to the pay-for-ammo punch

So there has already been pay-to-win game in 1997.

I thought the problem at that time was cheat instead of pay-to-win.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yes. Pressing F3 here would open a browser to a website where you're expected to pay with a credit card instantly (for more ingame ammo).

it's long since defunct however. 😜 but it was a very early sign of the worst to come.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 10, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave up on Fallen London because of this kind of thing. You play for free, but only up to a point beyond which you more or less have to pay for tokens to progress in any sensible timeframe. IIRC anyway. Not worth it for such a casual game.

Reply 8 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:
I am posting this so that anyone who works in game development or manages for business that has some involvement with gaming nee […]
Show full quote

I am posting this so that anyone who works in game development or manages for business that has some involvement with gaming needs to take notice and learn from this. Recently a big or somewhat big one that some of you already have some experience and that one is Wargaming, for those who do not know who they are Wargaming is the publisher of several games but mainly world of tanks. There was an incident where a popular reviewer and community contributor made an unfavorable video about WG's practices that resulted in a huge riot in their community after threatening to file a DMCA with youtube. In short is massively snow balled and now WG is experiencing one of the worst PR disasters that I have ever experienced with a gaming company.

Things to never do!
1: Threaten to abuse the copyright system or anything along the lines of dmca to suppress an opinion or fact on a third party platform because you didn't like what someone said.
2: Ruin game balance for the sake of short term profits.
3: Introduce game changes that force people to spend real money to remain competitive such as selling premium ammo ect.
4: Ignore long standing complaints such as poor map design, lack of class balance, match making, lack of diversity when it comes to meta.
5: Flooding the in game shop with op or broken items that are only available for real money making it to where it is pay to win.
6: Never be arrogant to your customers in the forums!
7: Copy paste customer service. 😠
8: Increase costs so an item that had once cost $30 now costs $54 ect after all this is digital goods!
9: Favor one region over all the others.

Can go on and on, only took them two days to shit the bed so bad that it looks as though the population will soon collapse. They alienated two regions and pissed a lot of people off which happen to be their cash cows.

First thing that came to mind is World of Tanks 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At least with Entropia there was an option for the player to make money (if they were patient).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Oh yes. Pressing F3 here would open a browser to a website where you're expected to pay with a credit card instantly (for more ingame ammo).

it's long since defunct however. 😜 but it was a very early sign of the worst to come.

I think the irony of this thing is that Socket Tank is a relatively unknown game, yet it started the ubiquitous trend today.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.