VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ConsoleStackup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This may not be a PC question, but i've been on dozens of retro game forums and this seems to be way above their heads. Help

On each Motherboard of an NES (NTSC) there is a code: CPU-NES-xx

These range from 04 to 11 (I think)

I would like to know if these are all of the revisions of the NES and what major differences there are between each one. (including chip sets, system architecture, etc) The most I can gather is that each revisions at least improves the CIC (10NES lockout security chip) but for even that I would love to know specifics. I have an 07.

The reason I ask this is because I was able to do research on the Sega Genesis revision easily and I wish to continue my research into more systems. Thanks guys

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ConsoleStackup wrote:

but i've been on dozens of retro game forums and this seems to be way above their heads.

I'm afraid any one of those would be a far, far more helpful place than here. There is very little discussion of retro console hardware here.

Surely you've tried neogaf, or assemblergames, or atariage? If no one in any of those places knows, then I would be inclined to believe that the information you seek simply has not been catalogued.

Reply 2 of 3, by Lord Nightmare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://forums.nesdev.com/ is almost certainly the correct place, probably the "NES Hardware and Flash Equipment" subforum.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK* ...you make zombie-ade!"