VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ok at work I was given the task of fixing a rather odd problem. And I'm about out of hair. After me the task gets outsourced.

The problem.

One computer on a network segment of about 12 computer is losing connection to Exchange server. It only loses connection when opening something in outlook or clicking on something in outlook, If you leave the system sit is does not reportedly lose connection. When it losses connection to the Exchange server it also losses connection to the file server (same server as Exchange server) when outlook losses connection to the server is goes into a not responding state and some times when it losses connection to the Exchange server the open outlook window will crash (close out on its own). Emails are also coming in delayed, anywhere from a few minutes to a day, But its random, I can send the user a email and its delayed but another users email will go right through. (Both being from the same domain)

The system is a HP allinone (don't know the model off the top of my head) running windows7_32bit running office 2007. The system is fully upto date. The server is running server 2008r2 and Exchange 2010. The computer is connected to the sever via a 24 port switch in the main office running to a fiber switch to the building next door then into a dlnk switch with 12 other computers on the last switch.
No other users are having this problem and about 20 users are using the Exchange server at any given point.

What I tried so far.
SFC.
Outlook ost/pts scan/fix
Reinstalling outlook.
Removing the outlook profile from the system.
Trying both cached and non cached mode.
Testing the cat5 drop and cat5 cable going to the computer. (tested good)
Putting the computer on wifi without disabling Ethernet
Changing the network ID name on the computer.
ipconfig /flushDNS
ccleaner with winapp2.ini.
AV scan with both malwarebuyts and vipre.
Making sure MTU setting are all right.
Had the user login to another computer and use it for a wile (it was fine)
Safe mode (did not fix the problem)
Reset send receive options.

What I have not tried.
Reinstalling windows.
Removing the hole user profile form the system and reading it.
Removing the system from the domain.
Replacing the computer.
Wireshark (packet loss test)

Attached is the event logs when outlook losses connection to a Exchange server.

I just disabled the Ethernet connection and left it on wifi only just incase the user is on a bad port on the switch.
I'm about out of ideas and most of the ideas I have left I don't really want to do. And advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

The system is a HP allinone (don't know the model off the top of my head) running windows7_32bit running office 2007. The system is fully upto date.

What is the exact Ethernet controller used? What is the driver version? (consult Device Manager for both)

Jade Falcon wrote:

I just disabled the Ethernet connection and left it on wifi only just incase the user is on a bad port on the switch.

What was the result of this experiment? Did the problem go away?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
dr_st wrote:
What is the exact Ethernet controller used? What is the driver version? (consult Device Manager for both) […]
Show full quote
Jade Falcon wrote:

The system is a HP allinone (don't know the model off the top of my head) running windows7_32bit running office 2007. The system is fully upto date.

What is the exact Ethernet controller used? What is the driver version? (consult Device Manager for both)

Jade Falcon wrote:

What was the result of this experiment? Did the problem go away?

I still need to fallow up with the user on that last experiment, they haven't said anything to me, but they don't use the computer much.
I'll get the driver/controller info the next time I'm on the work station.

Reply 3 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

OK, setting the system to wifi only did not help at all.

the system has two network cards. A Realtek PCIe BGE Family controller driver dated 2/16/12 version 7.53.216.2012
And a intel Centrino Advance-N 6205 driver dated 1/23/13 version 15.4.1.1

Both have the newest drivers off HP website and the system is a HP Compaq Pro 4300 allinone.

Also after doing a DNSflush and changing the network name on the computer most of the problems went away, Now outlook only losses connection to the server and emails come in delayed.

Reply 4 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some suggestions (sorry if you already tried some, I just skimmed your posts):
-swap PC with another PC on the same segment. Does the problem happen on the new PC? Does the problem follow the old PC?
-compact the pst
-are there any firewall filters between the PC and the server? Maybe some behavior is triggering an event.
-swap out cable from wall to the PC, even if it tested good
-put a test pst on the system and see if it has the same problem as the user's
-ping -t the server with outlook closed. any packet loss? now turn on outlook and watch the pings
-test the HDD for bad sectors

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Matth79 wrote:

For the Realtek GBE, I'd go from the Realtek site, rather than HP, significantly more up to date

Etch system on that segment have the same drivers, yet they don't have this problem.but I'll give it ago.
I do t see it being a driver problem, if that was the case other systems would have the problem and it would have been fixed by putting it on wifi.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-06-08, 01:18. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
clueless1 wrote:
Some suggestions (sorry if you already tried some, I just skimmed your posts): -swap PC with another PC on the same segment. Do […]
Show full quote

Some suggestions (sorry if you already tried some, I just skimmed your posts):
-swap PC with another PC on the same segment. Does the problem happen on the new PC? Does the problem follow the old PC?
-compact the pst
-are there any firewall filters between the PC and the server? Maybe some behavior is triggering an event.
-swap out cable from wall to the PC, even if it tested good
-put a test pst on the system and see if it has the same problem as the user's
-ping -t the server with outlook closed. any packet loss? now turn on outlook and watch the pings
-test the HDD for bad sectors

No firewall between, can't ping the server, we have that disabled. A test pst does the same thing, the cable is good, I made it my self and the system has the same problem on wifi.
Ill probably swap systems we do have a spare.

Reply 8 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

don't forget to test the hdd/ssd. If the pst or any networking system files are living on a defective region, that might account for the symptoms.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I can't see it being the hdd, the system is new enough that if it had any bad sectors the hdd wound pick them up and the system aside from the outlook problem is running fine. But I'll take a look, I did do a scandisk and it found nothing. But that just checks the file system.

As the of now the only problem left is that the system gets disconnected from the server.
Maybe I'll take a look to see if the system can shut off the nic, I know it's not loseing the network connection alk together but maybe it's not shutting off the nic right or something.

Reply 10 of 10, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sherlock Holmes hat on:
The problem, I think was already established to be with the system, rather than its location, LAN point, cable etc.?
So that leaves hardware or software.
Not sure what the Realtek diagnostic tests, or if it needs any special hookup such as another PC running the diagnostic as a server.
Go through the settings with a fine tooth comb - check power saving options, as they can sometimes upset devices