VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've ticked it many, many times when signing in but I still get prompted to enter my username and password after about 15 minutes of inactivity on the boards. Firefox is reminding me that the password isn't being sent over https, if that matters at all.

Reply 1 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me it works well.

Something wrong with your cookie expiration settings? Perhaps an addon is clearing them (oddly, I had a proxy switcher once that had a weird checkbox to clear cookies).

Does it happen only on VOGONS or other forums as well?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 12, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

For me it works well.

Something wrong with your cookie expiration settings? Perhaps an addon is clearing them (oddly, I had a proxy switcher once that had a weird checkbox to clear cookies).

Does it happen only on VOGONS or other forums as well?

Only vogons - I think a couple of other forums did it but they weren't the same style/vbulletin.

Reply 4 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check your browser settings and see if there's any site-specific options that are clearing cookies. For example, Firefox has an option to always remember cookies, but there is an Exceptions box next to it that if the site is in that list, it will not remember cookies.

edit: under Security in Firefox, there is a section to Remember Logins, along with another Exceptions box. Check if Remember Logins is enabled, but Vogons is in the Exceptions section.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 12, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Check your browser settings and see if there's any site-specific options that are clearing cookies. For example, Firefox has an option to always remember cookies, but there is an Exceptions box next to it that if the site is in that list, it will not remember cookies.

edit: under Security in Firefox, there is a section to Remember Logins, along with another Exceptions box. Check if Remember Logins is enabled, but Vogons is in the Exceptions section.

No exceptions for remembered logins. Firefox is set to remember history without ignoring any individual cookies. None of my extensions appear to be proxy or privacy related:

Attachments

• cook.png
    Filename
    cook.png
    File size
    102.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try to "refresh" Firefox. Go to Help->Troubleshooting Information and click the Refresh box.

edit: any other password managers being used? like maybe something bundled with your A/V?

Try logging in and checking the Remember box at the encrypted page:
https://www.vogons.org

Just to see if it makes any difference.

You can also go to about:config and sort the "Status" column, then go through all the settings that are "user set" (ie, not default settings) and see if any of them look like they might be responsible.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 12, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually this kind of problem can be resolved by deleting the cookie(s) and history of the affected site, then logging back in (may require a browser restart to work well).

Reply 8 of 12, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I used to have a problem staying logged in from iPhone's. I'd have to login every time I load up a new page. Ticking auto login/remember me fixed it. I do use privet mode all the time on iPhones.
Aside from that I have not neede to use. Nor will I use it.

Reply 9 of 12, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works for me but if I wait around long enough I get &sid= tacked onto the URL.

I don't think the "sid" URL option is ever supposed to show up?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do think the &sid= thing is a bug, but it appears to affect almost every forum I visit. There are no implications though - auto-login still works.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 12, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Auto-login works for me to, but sometimes at seemingly random time, the forum decided that i must re-login again,
i'm not really sure what the cause of this.

As a comparison another websites such as mangafox --which also have its auto-login feature-- didn't do that to me.

-fffuuu

Reply 12 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Usually the so-called System Cleaners, if installed, will erase cookies too. I used to wonder why my auto-sign in doesn't work... I preserved the cookies in Firefox. It seems my CCleaner is "cleaning" up everything... so I just made an exception there.

The same holds true for any Firefox add-on that may interfere with security or privacy settings.

Or any anti-virus/anti-malware/internet security suites.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers