VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to know what you all could possibly think of. Here's some random underrated/obscure arcade games I could think of:

Rad Mobile
Bosconian
Cliff Hanger
Bank Panic
High Impact Football
Freedom Fighter
Cloak & Dagger/Agent X
I, Robot
US Vs. Them
Major Havoc

Reply 1 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought Bosconian wasn't that obscure (cool game either way). Agreed about I, Robot; that was one pioneering title, one of the first (if not the first) to use flat-shaded polygons for 3D as opposed to wireframe - and actually damn good as a game, too.

There's also Tube Panic, which is the earliest game I know of with realtime texture mapping, even if the engine isn't "true" 3D...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 14, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

I thought Bosconian wasn't that obscure (cool game either way). Agreed about I, Robot; that was one pioneering title, one of the first (if not the first) to use flat-shaded polygons for 3D as opposed to wireframe - and actually damn good as a game, too.

There's also Tube Panic, which is the earliest game I know of with realtime texture mapping, even if the engine isn't "true" 3D...

Yeah, Tube Panic is neat. Magmax has a somewhat similar visual style to it, too. I guess Bosconian is just obscure when compared to Namco's other 80s arcade games.

Reply 3 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossed_S ... ideo_game)

Crossed Swords is probably the oddest arcade game I seen, RPG and a arcade do not belong together.

Reply 4 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking of Namco, I'd also mention The Outfoxies - a very well-done and creative arena fighting game. Perhaps not underrated, but I just never hear much talk about it. Fun as hell with two players (even with just one), and the soundtrack is damn good too.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 14, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just looked at some footage of I, Robot and holy shit is that impressive for 1983! It looks like something you'd see on 486+VGA or A1200. I had no idea anything like that even existed back then.

What kind of hardware was it running?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 14, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:
I'd like to know what you all could possibly think of. Here's some random underrated/obscure arcade games I could think of: […]
Show full quote

I'd like to know what you all could possibly think of. Here's some random underrated/obscure arcade games I could think of:

Rad Mobile
Bosconian
Cliff Hanger
Bank Panic
High Impact Football
Freedom Fighter
Cloak & Dagger/Agent X
I, Robot
US Vs. Them
Major Havoc

Ah yes, Cloak and Dagger. Loved the movie as a kid and really wanted the game, but alas it never made it to the consoles. A great history of it from the horse's mouth.

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/02_06.html

Reply 7 of 14, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Just looked at some footage of I, Robot and holy shit is that impressive for 1983! It looks like something you'd see on 486+VGA or A1200. I had no idea anything like that even existed back then.

What kind of hardware was it running?

Dunno. Pretty sure it's proprietary, aside from some of Atari's regular chips like the POKEY, etc.

Cube Quest is another game I recommend to check out. It also came out in 1983 around the same time as I, Robot. Don't know if it came out before or after, but the polygon graphics combined with the Abel & Associates LD backgrounds makes for such an excellent looking game for it's time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsfq2PXTxSA

Reply 8 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about Cannon Dancer / Osman? Something of a Strider knockoff.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net generally has good coverage of many obscure titles.

Cliff Hanger

Are you thinking of Cliffhanger: Edward Randy, or the Laserdisc game derived from Castle of Cagliostro..?

Reply 9 of 14, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
How about Cannon Dancer / Osman? Something of a Strider knockoff. […]
Show full quote

How about Cannon Dancer / Osman? Something of a Strider knockoff.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net generally has good coverage of many obscure titles.

Cliff Hanger

Are you thinking of Cliffhanger: Edward Randy, or the Laserdisc game derived from Castle of Cagliostro..?

The 1983 Stern LD game. I absolutely love Castle of Cagliostro and Lupin III in general, so it's no surprise that I really like the game a lot, too. Actually discovered it before the film, though. If I ever get the chance of collection dedicated games, that'd be one of the top ones I'd look out for.

Reply 10 of 14, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another interesting game I discovered kinda recently is Hard Drivin's Airborne. One of the weirdest things I've seen in a while, but I kinda like it. Helps that I enjoyed Hard & Race Drivin' and flight sims.

Reply 11 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember an arcade game that plays like Cabal and looks like Cabal, but it's not Cabal. IIRC it has World War II settings, where your opponents are Nazis.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't play a ton of arcade games back in the day, but my favorites that I remember were:
Time Pilot
Gyruss
Galaga
Track and Field

I have no idea if any of those would fall under the category of "underrated".

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 14, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can come up with nine that haven't been mentioned yet.. of course to some people none of these are obscure and/or underrated at all.

Psychic 5
Solomon's Key
Bagman
Ladybug
Raiga Strato Fighter
Boogie Wings
Mr. Driller
City Connection
Puzzle Uo Poko