VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like the title says. I just spent a not-insignifigant amount of time setting up a Win8.1 dual-boot install on one of my laptops.

I need to connect it to the internet ONCE, download the latest updates, activate Windows, disconnect it, and it will never touch the internet again. I do NOT want to end up with Windows 10 sneakily installed.

Is this still an issue or has that stopped happening after 10 stopped being "free"?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 10 is still "free" if you're using the accessibility features.

As for never connecting to the Internet again I want to say you may have an issue with Windows staying activated. Run "slmgr.vbs /dlv" from the command prompt to verify. Don't think it'll mean much for your usage.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 15, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I had a system at work that sat unused but online for the hole time GWX was going on. Shorty after the GXW thing stop the system was back in use. It then tried to install Win10 but fugged up windows update

Reply 7 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure about upgrades, but I'm on Creators version, and yesterday my PC restarted while uploading a YT video because of an update 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Not sure about upgrades, but I'm on Creators version, and yesterday my PC restarted while uploading a YT video because of an update 🤣

So much for Active Hours. 🤣

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good thing I'm on Linux where everything is manually done...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Good thing I'm on Linux where everything is manually done...

Just like Win98 in the good old days. 😎

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 15, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Automatic Updates weren't invented to annoy people who know well enough to apply the updates whenever. They're invented to annoy the people who otherwise would never bother with updates at all, because they obviously know better than their OS vendor whether the software is safe to use.

Reply 12 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If its never touching the internet, do you need to even bother with the security updates?

Funny thing was I had 2 laptops running Win7 while the free upgrade was going on, the one I wanted to keep on 7 forced the download. The one I wanted to upgrade I had to go out and manually upgrade.

Reply 13 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BTW: For anyone having problems with Windows 10 Pro auto-restarting at inconvenient times, despite the whole "active hours" thing (which is kinda BS IMHO), you can go into the Group Policy Editor which is hidden away on the system and change a little known setting which prevents automatic restarts while any users are logged in... which essentially means the computer will NEVER auto-restart ever again on its own accord while you're using it for anything.

It's technically also possible to apply this change on a regular version of Win10, but I don't know the procedure for doing so. I've been sticking with Pro versions of Windows for awhile now. :B

As for the auto-upgrades to Win10, I can confirm they're discontinued as I had to revert Dad's computer back to Win 7 recently and it hasn't tried to turn back into Win10 since. Go nuts with Windows Update and an earlier version of Windows; you won't be forced onto 10 anymore. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 14 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anything you do in Group Policy Editor can be accomplished with regedit if you know the keys the Group Policy Editor is inserting\changing.

Unless they dramatically changed that in Windows 10...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 15 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Anything you do in Group Policy Editor can be accomplished with regedit if you know the keys the Group Policy Editor is inserting\changing.

Unless they dramatically changed that in Windows 10...

Nah, Windows 10 still uses registry tables the same as every version of Windows since nearly forever. :B

A change like that though would probably require a restart to take effect, or at the very least a logoff.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg