VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 22, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once, after playing Warcraft II, I left the CD in the drive and the next time I turned on the system, I played Quake, forgetting about the Warcraft 2 CD still in the drive. I wouldn't say the soundtrack was better with Quake, but it was odd. 😜

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 21 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
Fair enough. But it is intended to sound like this: https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtra … ific-strike.mp3 That partic […]
Show full quote
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Alright, from both videos, that riff does not resemble electric bass guitar/distortion guitar, although it does on my PC. Well perhaps my sound font, I'm not sure. Nonetheless, that particular riff is soooo not 1940's, regardless of whatever instrument it uses on that part. In fact, that particular riff is my biggest turn-off factor; it makes Pacific Strike sounds like 1980's cartoon instead of an epic World War II air war opera.

Fair enough. But it is intended to sound like this:
https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtra … ific-strike.mp3
That particular section you call out (from 11 seconds to about 22 seconds in the link above) does have sort of an 80s vibe to it, but it's really only a tiny portion of the entire song, most of which does have a 40s vibe (IMO). The general mood of the whole song is a sense of urgency, which is very typical of combat music in DOS games.

Sorry for the very late reply, I suffered back ache last Saturday, and it hurt like hell.

Well okay, so it's tiny portion of the song, but that portion alone is a major turnoff factor to me. I wonder why didn't Origin go all-orchestra route, the way Jane's World War II Fighters or Wing Commander does. Oh well, nothing is perfect anyway.

Malik wrote:

Once, after playing Warcraft II, I left the CD in the drive and the next time I turned on the system, I played Quake, forgetting about the Warcraft 2 CD still in the drive. I wouldn't say the soundtrack was better with Quake, but it was odd. 😜

I imagine the marching sound of Human Theme Song boosts your morale in destroying those evil Ogres. 🤣

Ah, while we're at it, how about mainstream pop music as game soundtrack? When playing Lode Runner, for instance, I always mute the original in-game songs and play the album Vegas by The Crystal Method instead. The thumping breakbeats of Trip Like I Do and Busy Child make very suitable background music to accompany the wriggling red-robed villains!

Xxa4IbW.gif

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Virtua Cop series play great with Command & Conquer soundtrack, but tonight I tried it with The Chemical Brothers' Dig Your Own Hole Album, and it makes the game even better!

PZkgeUT.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.