User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Old School Windows 95 App's

Jasc Pain Shop Pro

Fixed 😉

Also some applications/versions were definitely not around at the time of Win95. For example Kazaa was introduced after Napster's shutdown which was after 2000 and Winamp 5 was XP era (2004?).

Reply 22 of 40, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are many things that would satisfy this thread title.

There was also these so called desktop companions. Like a cat or mouse. It's like a virtual pet, that roam around your desktop,sleep or do something, and you can do certain things to them. There was also these stripping girls companion, which I never used (because I was still at college and my only internet access was at the cybercafe), but thought it was funny.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 23 of 40, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They were named Neko and Sheep, I recall. XEyes or just eyes was also popular. 😀
Your Win 3.1 install is not complete unless...

Edit: There were also more sophisticated "virtual pets", like Tamagotchi clones or Fin Fin.
Creatures! could perhaps also be seen as a such, though that's maybe more of an advanced life simulation.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2017-07-17, 05:51. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 40, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's also the Catz and Dogz pet programs that ran well under Windows 95 and not so well on anything higher than 95 (for some stupid reason).

There was also a alien version of it but I forgot what it was called... (Orbz maybe?)

Last edited by DracoNihil on 2017-07-17, 06:09. Edited 1 time in total.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 25 of 40, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Download managers! So important in those days when multi-megabyte downloads could be interrupted, forcing you to restart from the beginning. GoZilla was great before it became laden with adware.

Reply 27 of 40, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Winamp, WinZip, IrfanView, QuickTime, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, GetRight, ICQ, mIRC, ZOC, MSN Gaming Zone / Zone Friends, CoolEdit 96, Photoshop 5.0, F-Prot Antivirus. I think that's about it for the important stuff. A couple of games were mainstays for years.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 28 of 40, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weren't aquarium screensavers all the rage too? I remember El-Fish from the MS-DOS days, but it seemed there were some designed for Win95 too.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 29 of 40, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait, I got one: Quarterdeck Cleansweep! Because uninstalling in Win95 is a pain.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 31 of 40, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

Sweet to see you guys still remembering what was used back then in those days. The oldest game I remember which was my first one was some kind of snake character named Sammy, I think?

Jake and Sammy were the snakes in QBasic Nibbles, first included with MS-DOS 5. That has nothing to with Windows 95.

Reply 34 of 40, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Besides the "usual" stuff that has been mentioned, for some strange reason when I think about Windows 95 a stupid Beavis & Butthead game comes to my mind... I remember it ran on windowed mode by default and it was based on some sort of mini-games, in one of which you had to spit on pedestrians from a balcony 🤣

I think that game must have come out pretty early in the Windows 95 days, when most decent games were still DOS-based, because I recall equating Win95 gaming with this kind of silly games for a while.

Reply 36 of 40, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mIRC
Netscape Communicator
Getright
Winamp
Kali/GameSpy

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 37 of 40, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember when we bought a Pentium1/75, which is still in working condition, it came with Win3.11. Then computer man from my father's job came and I installed WIn95 on it - althought it has CD-ROM, Win 95 was on diskettes, as I remember..

I remember Office 95, 97 with it's toolbars, some version of Corel Draw, Photoshop 4.0 and multimedia encyclopedias - like Encarta, Britannica and Grollier. Also fun, but a little bit useless Cinemania'94.

Reply 38 of 40, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote:

COMMAND.COM

I had trouble letting go of DOS...

That made me laugh!
(also true as Win95 was on my 486 so lots of dropping back to DOS for games)

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Wait, I got one: Quarterdeck Cleansweep! Because uninstalling in Win95 is a pain.

That was going to be my random program!

Rest is pretty standard. This is on a 486 remember, so no fancy mp3 or movies for me!

Installed from PC User Australia mag CD's I had a subscription
latest version of Paint Shop Pro
latest version of WinZip
latest version of Acrobat reader
Netscape 3 for browsing and pop email

MS Works 3.0 Which came bundled with the PC
MS Plus! that I "found" for Doublespace and treating zip files as folders.

Edit: Also Norton Utilities, mostly Diskdoctor for damn floppy's and Speed disk to scrape every bit of performance I could from the old girl