VOGONS

Common searches

Any Commodore 64 or Amiga fans here at Vogons?

Topic actions

First post, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the title says ^^

There is a reason for this question. I'll get to that shortly.

Reply 1 of 113, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure, spent most of my childhood on C64 and later Amiga 😀
Most of my early steps in programming were on these machines, and they also got me into the demoscene.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 2 of 113, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really enjoy the Amiga. I have an A1200 I use regularly for games, mod music and watching demos.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 3 of 113, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess you could say I'm an Amiga fan. I had thought briefly about getting one back in the day but went PC instead. I recently purchased one and seeing how much different they were and ahead of their time my mind just boggles at how Commodore killed the goose that laid the golden egg. If they'd focused on developing an advanced chipset instead of continuing to sell aging stuff they might still be around, who knows. But yes, I like the Amiga.

Reply 5 of 113, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I can't wait until the NTSC C64/128 is better emulated some day. RetroArch recently gained a Vice core

I'll take the bait. What's wrong with the NTSC C64/128 emulation. I have had no problems with it personally.

Reply 8 of 113, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the point of this thread? what is this mysterious reason that now we won't find out about it? That's the reason people didn't bother to reply - there are quite a few amiga/c64 fans here but the thread lacks a topic.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 113, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The reason was he had a spare copy of Amiga Forever to give away. But apparently he has since deleted that post.
Well, I'm enough of an Amiga fan that I have a few real Amigas, and I went to the Amiga 30th anniversary event, and got a free copy of Amiga Forever there as well 😀
So it was not for me anyway.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 10 of 113, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice gesture but still the thread feels really lacking.
I also have several AF versions with physical media as well, every semi-serious amiga/c64 user has bought it at least once or twice IMHO 🤣 🤣 🤣 , mainly because of Cloanto's attractive upgrade bundles.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 113, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually have a copy of AF but it would save me $20 on the upgrade. And I don't have the C64 emulator, I thought it would be neat to check that out. But no huge loss, I will throw down my $20 for the upgrade it's well worth it.

Reply 13 of 113, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually I did not delete the post. A mod must have and I am glad they did as I was receiving PMs submitting numbers to the guessing game. I ran the giveaway at AtariAge instead and got a much better response. Vogons is one of my favorite forums and honestly I should have just started this giveaway thread at AtariAge in the first place as Vogons is more PC oriented. My bad really. Anyway I was giving away a full copy of Amiga Forever Plus Edition v7 and a copy of C64 Forever Plus Edition v7 which both have now been claimed over at AtariAge. Sorry for the confusion and happy retro computing to all.

Reply 14 of 113, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
liqmat wrote:

I'll take the bait. .

implies there's no other emulator but the forever one.

I must be reading your post wrong. I am/was not implying anything other than giving away free copies of Amiga Forever and C64 Forever and technically speaking Amiga Forever and C64 Forever are not even emulators. They are very advanced front ends that include legally licensed software for their respective platforms and happen to include publicly available emulators already out there like VICE and WinUAE. Their strength is in the whole of the package and how cohesive it all is and not necessarily the indivdual parts.

Reply 15 of 113, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to call myself beeing a fan..

Me and my father never really heard of the C64 beeing popular until that retro wave came along.
Yes, belive it or not. The C64 was something we skipped. We were like from another reality or something, haha. 😊

My father and me grew rather up with other 70s/80s machines, like the Sharp MZ80K or Sinclair ZX81.
I assume this was because he never was into toy computers, but serious computing.
At the time, he was developing software for the local university, if my memory serves.
He still used punch cards there and was amazed by CP/M and such (machines with S-100, Europe Card Bus, Z-80 CPUs).
I guess we were among the last few people on earth to keep calling it "Control/Program and Monitor". 😊

Perhaps that's why in my younger years, I never heard of the C64 beeing relevant,
but knew a dozen other vintage machines instead.

Like the Apple 2 (Tron movie, anyone ?), Ti-99, MZ700, ColourGenie EG2000, IMSAI 8080,
Cosmac Elf (Popular Electronics), Thomson TO7/70 or Atari ST.

The Atari ST was one of the machines my dad told me, btw.
Maybe because it was popular in offices for text processing and so hew saw them at work.
Or because it was the "other machine" running GEM; My papa had a Schneider PC1512 (it came with GEM and DOS Plus).
Anyway; I got an used Atari ST 520 when I was a kid.

I also heard of Amiga a bit, I guess because it was shown in US shows like Clarissa
and because it was named a few times in my dads old PC magazines from the 1980s.
(Back when everything "PC" was about science, fractals and medical research: 😕 )

Amiga
Years later, I got a broken A500 and repaired it. It was the first time I used an Amiga.
Making the machine boot was quite troublesome. Unlike the self-booting Atari,
the Amiga required a bootup diskette in a strange format no PC could read or write..
It was very dissapointing, needless to say. The Atari was so much more friendly in this regard.
Anyway, after some weeks of hunting, I finally got a -not so cheap- copy of a Workbench disk.
I inserted the floppy and it slowly (literally!) booted into the desktop.

Then I got the next surprise. Guess what ? Yup, all my serial mice didn't work.
A proprietary Commodore mouse was required, as I found out. For just ~60€.
So I figured, that a mouse was out of my reach. Thankfully, Workench OS 1.x could also be controlled
by keyboard (Amiga key+ arrow keys). That way, I made my first steps into the OS, learned the CLI commands,
played with the speech synth, and so on. Looking backwards, the Workbench was kinda okay.
If it only shipped with more utilities and was localized, like Windows 2.x was.
A paint program, some terminal and a word processor.. Come on! Why was such basic stuff missing ?

C64
Before the Amiga or C64, my first Commodore was a C128D, I believe.
It came with CP/M 3.0, GEOS and a few games.

After that, I got myself a C64 from the flea market and was somewhat dissapointed.
It was somewhat primitive in comparison to my old PC (286, a museums piece in its own reign).
Especially the MS BASIC font looked ugly to me.
At the time I also felt kinda sad that my Commodore 1702 was made for this piece of scrap metal. 😢
Really, it brought me to tears that so many 1702 had to waste their life time serving this "thing".

The games were also bad looking in comparison to my NES and my Sega MasterSystem.
But I liked the fact that there were some text/graphic adventure games!
If it wasn't for them, I would have probably thrown the machine into the bin (hey, I was a kid).
My mind has changed over time, of course. The C64 also had something good. The SID was nice.
I still own a C64 as a memento of an old friend of our family. That C64 sits on my shelf.
He was a true C64 fan (non-gamer) and gave it to me before he passed away.

Edit: Sorry for the long post. As you may understand, I still don't know if I can consider myself beeing a fan.
I do appreciate these machines for what they did stand for, though. C64 for SID/Adventures. Amiga for MOD files, etc.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 113, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

C64 for SID/Adventures. Amiga for MOD files, etc.

Nice post! One of the main attractions of the Amiga 1000 for me back in 1985 was that 4 channel digital audio. A few years later when I was doing live gigs with an industrial electronic band I used an Amiga 500 on stage for drum tracks. I can't remember for the life of me the name of the drum pattern software, but it was simplistic and very straightforward to use. Atari STs had the midi ports built-in, but that was easily rectified with a dongle adapter on the Amiga.

Reply 17 of 113, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Youtube knows all. Found that drum software I used. Dynamic Drums, but after watching the video I remembered how irritating the built-in demos were. It was a very capable little program.

https://youtu.be/1KMwHp79R2k

Reply 18 of 113, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

Actually I did not delete the post. A mod must have and I am glad they did as I was receiving PMs submitting numbers to the guessing game. I ran the giveaway at AtariAge instead and got a much better response. Vogons is one of my favorite forums and honestly I should have just started this giveaway thread at AtariAge in the first place as Vogons is more PC oriented. My bad really. Anyway I was giving away a full copy of Amiga Forever Plus Edition v7 and a copy of C64 Forever Plus Edition v7 which both have now been claimed over at AtariAge. Sorry for the confusion and happy retro computing to all.

I'm a fan of the Amiga, owning a 500 and 1200, however you posted originally at midnight my local time and decided to move your giveaway to AtariAge at 8AM my local time before I had any chance to respond.... give us a chance hey, this is an international forum, not everyone lives in one time zone!

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.