VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, upon reading this thread, especially Cat's post...

Nevermind, I got my joystick to work. VPC emulates the joystick port, and uses whichever joystick is joystick ID #1 in Windows. As I have multiple game controllers, it was mapping the wrong one (my USB gamepad instead of my gameport joystick).

Cat

....then I decided to try it myself. I just happen to have an old copy of Connectix Virtual PC 5.2, and went through all the trouble. It wasn't easy. I had to struggle with the damn Windows 95 NDIS protection error, but that's another story.

Nonetheless, after finishing Windows 95 installation, I could not get gameport joystick to work with Virtual PC's Windows 95. The joystick section in Win95 control panel kept giving the "joystick not connected properly" error message. Then I checked the Windows 95's Device Manager. For some unknown reason, I had two gameport joystick connected, while one of them has yellow exclamation mark. My host-connected USB joystick, by the way, is Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB, although it has nothing to do with the problem.

After doing trial-and-error for a while, turned out I needed to delete both gameport joysticks in Device Manager, and then the Virtual PC's Windows 95 detected the joystick properly during startup.

huGRaIS.jpg
Windows 95 OSR 2 (running on Virtual PC 5.2) detected a gameport joystick during startup.

Then it shows properly during Joystick section in Control Panel.

F31PfVQ.jpg
Calibrating the gameport joystick on Windows 95 in Virtual PC, which is actually a host-connected USB joystick.

FJbmsrL.jpg
The gameport joystick is now detected properly.

So yes, I have a Windows 95 OSR 2 running on Virtual PC 5.2, with virtual gameport joystick which is mapped from my host-connected USB joystick.

There is some problems I note tough:

(1) the gameport joystick's axis is jumpy and spiky. I'm not sure why, perhaps because my host is not powerful enough to run Virtual PC, so that overall guest performance is spiky? Host is AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 3.00 GHz, with 1.5 GB of RAM. Yes, it's my office computer.

(2) Windows 95 protection error keeps coming quite often. At first, it was NDIS protection error. After I installed the necessary patch, it becomes OIS protection error. I found reducing the amount of RAM to 64 MB helps alleviating the problem.

(3) Novalogic F-22 Lightning II, which is actually a DOS game, runs unacceptable slow and non-responsive on the said Virtual PC's Windows 95. That's very disappointing, because the game is the very reason why went through all the effort of installing Virtual PC. I always wanted to see if Virtual PC could run the game faster than DOSBOX.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I need to reset the virtual machine "the rough way" (using virtual power button), because F-22 Lightning II runs very slow that I just cannot simply exit the game and shut down Windows. And since I did that, the Windows 95 virtual machine could never boot, because it is always plagued with IOS Protection Mode error at every boot attempt.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trying Novalogic's F-22 Raptor, which is a Windows game --unlike Novalogic's F-22 Lightning II. Turned out the game also runs very slow on Windows 95 running in Virtual PC, but it is still faster than F-22 Lightning II, that I can actually test the virtual gameport joystick in the game.

Still, despite Virtual PC is successful in translating the host's USB joystick into the guest's gameport joystick, the game runs very flow it's unplayable.

Oh, also, the colors turned weird as I hit PrintScreen button, although it's probably related to this instead.

vuLx6ss.jpg
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, over?

Well, but at least I can prove that Virtual PC can indeed translate host-connected USB joystick into virtual gameport joystick belonged to the guest. Alas, games running on Virtual PC is way too slow to be playable.

Any suggestion to increase gaming performance in Virtual PC?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't believe VPC 5.2 supports vt-x so it's just using dynarec the same as dosbox,pc-em or vmware with vt-x disabled except that VPC hasn't been developed for years so it's implemention is probably alot slower. If you're bored you can probably benchmark all of them and compare.

I want to say VPC 2007 or Microsoft Windows Virtual PC (XP Mode) supports vt-x.

None of the virtualization software that support vt-x care about opimizng non vt-x from what I've seen.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

I want to say VPC 2007 or Microsoft Windows Virtual PC (XP Mode) supports vt-x.

Which is supposed to be faster than VPC 5, but does VPC 2007 translate host's USB joystick into guest's gameport joystick? VirtualBox doesn't, and that's why I went all the length of testing up VPC 5.

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think you're a glutton for punishment for doing anything with USB and 95....

Haven't played around much with gamepads and joysticks with VPC but I haven't really used VPC since before MS bought it. Vmware handles all my USB devices just fine.

Reply 5 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But the Windows 95 OS never sees the USB joystick --VPC 5.0 translates it into virtual gameport joystick, which is recognized properly by Windows 95. I imagine this feature could be useful for those pesky Windows flight sims that cannot recognize USB joystick; titles like F-22 Raptor (Novalogic) and iF-22 (Interactive Magic).

Can VMWare translate host's USB joystick to guest's gameport joystick?

Reply 6 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not that I know of.

Try pcem. If the games don't work with it then then ask the pcem dev Sarah Walker.

Reply 8 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If there is a software that can emulate gameport joystick from USB joystick, then I wouldn't need emulation at all. iF-22 and F-22 Raptor both work on Windows XP. Alas, they couldn't recognize USB joystick.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is F-22 Rap. one of these early Win95 titles who still access the gameport directly at port $201 ?
If that's the case, it could be made run with Port-Talk and a real gameport, even on XP.
The TT-Solo, I believe, is one of the later PCI cards who still contain an FM core, UART MPU-401 and a Gameport.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

Is F-22 Rap. one of these early Win95 titles who still access the gameport directly at port $201 ?
If that's the case, it could be made run with Port-Talk and a real gameport, even on XP.
The TT-Solo, I believe, is one of the later PCI cards who still contain an FM core, UART MPU-401 and a Gameport.

Oh yes, that one F-22 raptor inded. It would make a nice laptop game to accompany me in business trips. I'd just need to bring a small and nice stick like Logitech Attack 3. Too bad the game only accept gameport joystick. Same goes with iF-22.