Common searches

Modern beige rigs & peripherals

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 36, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do like beige computers when they are fresh and new, but I really can't stand how quickly they yellow...except for the IBM equipment, which is actually painted. late 80's grey was also quite nice, but equally prone to yellowing. Therefore, I am now quite happy that black is the new standard. I've been using the same Aopen "Flex ATX" case for the last 10 years, and it still looks as good as the day I bought it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21 of 36, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's more fun: trying to navigate the OSD configuration menu of a black monitor with no buttons (only touch sensitive pads) in the dark.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 22 of 36, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Errius wrote:

Here's more fun: trying to navigate the OSD configuration menu of a black monitor with no buttons (only touch sensitive pads) in the dark.

Make it even better, or worse. Get a older monitor with these types of buttons. Old ones are very unresponsive.

Reply 23 of 36, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I do like beige computers when they are fresh and new, but I really can't stand how quickly they yellow...except for the IBM equipment, which is actually painted. late 80's grey was also quite nice, but equally prone to yellowing. Therefore, I am now quite happy that black is the new standard. I've been using the same Aopen "Flex ATX" case for the last 10 years, and it still looks as good as the day I bought it.

Black looks great until you get a scratch in the paint or it gets dusty.

None of my Inwin cases turned yellow and some are 17+ years old.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 25 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I can relate to the yellowing not being something I like to see. I'd prefer beige paint hehe 😁
The grey stuff was also nice and I also kinda liked the silvery stuff. It's of a very specific era during PC computing, including having silvery drives with external faceplates. I didn't like silver at the time though and I'm glad it's become nothing but a niche. I don't really like how easy the silvery stuff scratches though.
Black is actually my favorite (but only slightly), but I really dislike how it makes stuff harder to see. Why bother painting molex connectors black if the end result is that it's harder to actually see and use the connector and I don't care what color it is once the side panel is in place. It's annoying and I'd prefer the "ugly" white over black any day of the week when it comes to the internals.
When using SATA connectors, I end up having to use an extra light just to see where that tiny "L-shape" goes 😒 (especially when working on a rig that's already put together, like when adding an extra drive or something).
I really dislike the Christmas cases that seem to unfortunately have made a break-through, I'd prefer to watch my starships go to warp 9 on my screen instead of from my desk 😁
I also don't like PSUs placed on the bottom and how external drive bays are disappearing (though I perfectly understand why they aren't needed that much anymore) and I don't like cases that aren't flat on the top.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 26 of 36, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Black and silver pc cases may be new since the 00's, but in the 80's many Japanese made MSX home computers were already grey or black. Furthermore IBM already had black cases in the 90's. Siemens by the way has made some blue / white pc cases in the past.

I think one of the advantages of white / beige hardware is that you can see when it needs to be cleaned (remember those dirty keyboards haha?). Secondly, if you have white walls and ceilings, then white equipment matches that. It is a very neutral color that reflects light and heat.

Personally I'm not such a huge fan of all white / beige cases, though for a classic system they are period correct. I do however like plain jane aluminum silver and black cases without weird shapes and LED's. I really don't like cases with thin and shiny piano like plastic and unfinished sharp iron chassis.

Reply 27 of 36, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:

About earlier computers that weren't beige - here is the Sanyo MBC-550, which looks like a '70s Hi-Fi amp with a TV on top:

I'd say a it looks more like a VCR - according to some reports the case *was* a repurposed Sanyo VCR chassis. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 28 of 36, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
I can relate to the yellowing not being something I like to see. I'd prefer beige paint hehe :D The grey stuff was also nice and […]
Show full quote
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I can relate to the yellowing not being something I like to see. I'd prefer beige paint hehe 😁
The grey stuff was also nice and I also kinda liked the silvery stuff. It's of a very specific era during PC computing, including having silvery drives with external faceplates. I didn't like silver at the time though and I'm glad it's become nothing but a niche. I don't really like how easy the silvery stuff scratches though.
Black is actually my favorite (but only slightly), but I really dislike how it makes stuff harder to see. Why bother painting molex connectors black if the end result is that it's harder to actually see and use the connector and I don't care what color it is once the side panel is in place. It's annoying and I'd prefer the "ugly" white over black any day of the week when it comes to the internals.
When using SATA connectors, I end up having to use an extra light just to see where that tiny "L-shape" goes 😒 (especially when working on a rig that's already put together, like when adding an extra drive or something).
I really dislike the Christmas cases that seem to unfortunately have made a break-through, I'd prefer to watch my starships go to warp 9 on my screen instead of from my desk 😁
I also don't like PSUs placed on the bottom and how external drive bays are disappearing (though I perfectly understand why they aren't needed that much anymore) and I don't like cases that aren't flat on the top.

Well, if your systems can't even hit trans-warp then you may not even want to bother. Talk to me when you're CPU transcends time. I'll understand if you can't because you're a slug -creature

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 29 of 36, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Aww, bottom mounted PSUs are great though. Any case worth its salt will have a dedicated intake for it (with filter) so it isn't sucking hot air, and it also makes the system less top-heavy.

Agreed on the LEDs. I've always had a soft spot for ridiculous blingy PC gear, but WOW does modern stuff take it too far.

Reply 30 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rawrl wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Aww, bottom mounted PSUs are great though. Any case worth its salt will have a dedicated intake for it (with filter) so it isn't sucking hot air, and it also makes the system less top-heavy.

Top mounted PSUs definitely have its advantages (like the cooling), but a disadvantage is that it requires more maintenance or the PSU might overheat and die (happened to a friend's Antec, dust filter was clogged up and the PSU overheated). Dust is easier to get attracted due to the fan intake being lower to the ground.
I hadn't considered the system being less top heavy, but I don't really see any good advantage in that, except maybe when carrying the case around or maybe it's harder to tip over the system (which shouldn't happen anyway (or at least not that much 🤣)).

I found this partially bright mint-green case a while ago and that color was so distracting that I ended up putting the case with it's front bezel away from where I sit (after I got it, haven't gotten around to relocate the case yet so it's still in the living room).
The bright stuff is fun to look at, but these things give me a harder time to keep looking at the screen when actually trying to use the rig 😁
I do like LED fans (especially the blue ones) as these give of a lovely lighting in the room and I can see if the system is powered on or not from a distance 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 31 of 36, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd like beige to make a come back, provided someone finds a way to keep the beige from fading, while maintaining all the mechanical and fire retardant properties of the old beige. Does the white that Apple uses fade? Their Mac classics, like the SE/30 I have, has surely faded.

All my computers PIII and older have beige cases. Same goes for the monitors. I have about a dozen beige LCD's. I do not like the look of black, except for maybe laptops.

I do like how the beige colour blends in better with the wall colour. I strongly dislike the look of a black monitor against an off-white wall.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 33 of 36, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the stuff on the desk that is black is for the day job... including screens x 3. Dell, and a Windows surface pro to boot.

All the stuff on the desk that is beige is for the hobby... with one beige flat screen.

The desk is the common denominator... aside from that, they don't mix.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 34 of 36, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WildW wrote:

I bought a modern beige case this year for my retro build, made by Evercase. The build quality is really good and heavy.

Wow those are some good caes, I wonder how steep the online shipping would be..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 35 of 36, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WildW wrote:

I bought a modern beige case this year for my retro build, made by Evercase. The build quality is really good and heavy.

Thanks for the link! They have some nice cases... Are they still producing beige cases as of now, or is it more a case of the website not being updated and they don't have all of these available?

Now someone needs to find a source for a new LCD screen with a beige Bezel 😎

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 36 of 36, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:
WildW wrote:

Thanks for the link! They have some nice cases... Are they still producing beige cases as of now, or is it more a case of the website not being updated and they don't have all of these available?

Now someone needs to find a source for a new LCD screen with a beige Bezel 😎

They have an active eBay shop that I bought my case through. Their website seems reasonably legit but I went through eBay for the extra protection.