Common searches

Modern beige rigs & peripherals

Topic actions

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the early '00s, having an all black setup (black monitor, black keyboard and mouse) was the epitome of coolness for me. I couldn't take any more of the beige stuff we had to deal with during all the '80s and '90s. 🤣

Fast forward to now when most computing equipment is offered in black and the beige color has all but disappeared. There has been a trend for the color white since maybe the launch of the first ipod, but that's as close as we get.

Believe it or not I actually miss the beige of the early days, and am wondering if some of you feel the same and are using a modern rig in an all-beige setup? I think King Corduroy here has a rig like this, are there any others?

Do you know if there are any new models of keyboards, mice, monitors and cases available in beige? I think Cherry and Unicomp still make beige keyboards, I'm not sure anyone makes anything else though... even beige mice seem impossible to find new.

Finally... do you think we will one day see a beige revival, or that people would rather leave beige buried where it is? 😵

Here are two pics found online to illustrate the topic:

QQUvnBUjz2V-5AiVDPVDl-cExc9yuZCv8YNqjPHcA8c.jpg?w=1024&s=df3b8323e9c0afbdfdb251617908ba6d

d260c8990ced10c2cc28d247081546ca.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 36, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are some white cases, but I don't think we'll see older looking beige cases anytime soon. The market for them is probably very niche.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 36, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know, so many styles tend to come back around. I wouldn't be surprised if beige gear made a comeback at some point.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 36, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot of stuff like movies, fashion, TV shows, remakes/reboots, cars, etc. are marketed by nostalgia fuel. That's why every other new movie is a freshened version of a decades-ago iteration; some cars even (look at the Toyota FJ Cruiser, the Jeep Wrangler, the Mercedes G class, etc.). For the past several years people have found ways of making money off nostalgia and it's gonna keep happening. But some things many people aren't nostalgic for... old computers is a bit of a niche in terms of marketing. Nowadays, a significant amount of the PC building market wants fancy insanely designed cases and RGB LEDs everywhere.

Yesterday I told a coworker about my 1996 HP Pavilion project and he just laughed at me.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 4 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure. I like silver faced receivers and amplifiers, but beige boxes is not something I really miss.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 36, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I cant see beige coming back main stream, like wood grain, its now associated with "old"
Always thought it bit of a strange colour to start with really "off white"
White will be as close as we get but think darker colours will be around as the primary colour for good while yet
I'm glad as well! black ages much better then lighter colours.

Reply 6 of 36, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice beige Unicomp in that 2nd photo.. I have one too.

I wonder what originally motivated the industrial designers to go with beige. One opinion I came across says that beige is closest to the color of dust, so even if you don't clean the machine every day, it's not that noticeable. 🤣

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 8 of 36, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Office machinery (type-writers, teleprinters and the like) have been beige since forever. It's probably just the color of undyed (i.e. the cheapest) plastic.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 9 of 36, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never liked black -- I have to keep a flashlight near the computer in order to find the buttons.
I get a silver case when possible, but last time I built a new computer I had to go with black because the appropriate silver models were sold out -- which suggests I'm not the only person tired of black.

I don't mind beige, though I'd rather have some other color like metallic blue, metallic green, or metallic red -- colors like you might see on a car.

Reply 10 of 36, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm fairly certain there is a not-so-niche untapped market for beige, simple, no-rgb, no-window, no-nonsense, retro looking ATX cases with modern spacious interiors and cable management.

I would pay good money for a few of them, and that includes replacing my current white modern looking PC housing with one too.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11 of 36, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The case in that second pic is a SuperMicro SC-750A, which was last sold in the early 2000s - ARS Technica chose it for their year-2000 God Box build. I've got one (and its AT variant the 750S) and while it's a nice case it's definitely not contemporary tech. Unless you actually need a half-dozen 5.25" drive bays (unlikely in 2017) it's probably overkill.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 12 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/d2/60/c8/d260c8990ced10c2cc28d247081546ca.jpg […]
Show full quote

d260c8990ced10c2cc28d247081546ca.jpg

By the way, I didn't know AudioEngine A5+ has beige version.

Back to the topic, I'd prefer black though. Silverface receivers and beige computers look nicely vintage, but black is timeless. My AU-7900, for example, doesn't really look out of place in modern times.

OzPQWTg.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13 of 36, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not all black is timeless IMO. Take Piano Black. It will be one of those 2000s things that make us go SMH in not a long while.. I detest Piano Black. It's timelessly bad.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14 of 36, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Not all black is timeless IMO. Take Piano Black. It will be one of those 2000s things that make us go SMH in not a long while.. I detest Piano Black. It's timelessly bad.

Ditto. I hate Piano Black. Damn fingerprint magnet.

I can't say as I like beige much either. It's ok, but I don't really have any particular love for it. I prefer a basic flat or satin black finish. Or something really different like SGI's case colors. Now there was a company that never could be accused of having boring cases, except for maybe the earliest systems (Personal Iris, and 4D series).

Reply 16 of 36, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

I wonder what originally motivated the industrial designers to go with beige. One opinion I came across says that beige is closest to the color of dust, so even if you don't clean the machine every day, it's not that noticeable. 🤣

Errius wrote:

Office machinery (type-writers, teleprinters and the like) have been beige since forever. It's probably just the color of undyed (i.e. the cheapest) plastic.

I've often wondered as well why they chose beige in the first place... This theory of undyed plastic makes sense. A quick google search seems to indicate some people believe manufacturers chose beige so that the machines would blend more easily in the office environment. Others believe it was so that the plastic discoloration wouldn't show as much... but I guess you'll all agree there's not much truth to that 🤣

appiah4 wrote:

I'm fairly certain there is a not-so-niche untapped market for beige, simple, no-rgb, no-window, no-nonsense, retro looking ATX cases with modern spacious interiors and cable management.

I would pay good money for a few of them, and that includes replacing my current white modern looking PC housing with one too.

I'd actually buy one too, but it seems we're still in the small minority, even on a forum like Vogons! 😊

Regarding black/grey computers in the '80s, it seems they were ahead of the trend in Japan:

X68k.jpg

fmtowns_tcm100-872019.jpg

I don't know much about the X68000 or the FM Towns, but I guess these were home machines and not business oriented, which may explain the choice of color.

In europe Amstrad was making black computers as well with the CPC series... although it's interesting that they switched to beige in the '90s, possibly to give their machines a more "serious" look!

Capture_00134.png

Amstrad_6128Plus_System_1.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 17 of 36, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Japanese did like black computers in the 80s.

Except for the Sharp X1 which (at least the early models) was bright red.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 18 of 36, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well this is fun. I'm trying to type in the dark on a black Compaq keyboard with faded lettering. I immediately thought of this thread.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 19 of 36, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just want to point out it's the same with cameras. My dad thinks it's funny I prefer silver/black bodies over black/black. The "i'm cool because i'm all black" thing has kinda gone away. Now people want the brightest colors possible.

Back on topic. As far as beige/black goes. At least black doesn't yellow, still cracks though. I hate to admit it, but my favourite is the apple G4 lucite styling.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2