Common searches

Reply 120 of 120, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SaxxonPike wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:

S462/S478 motherboards are very easy to find and dirt cheap. Even socket 2/3, 5/7 and slot 1 motherboards are plenty. More difficult to find and quite expensive are good S370's, especially with support for Tualatin, S423, SS7, slot A and of course old server (Xeon) boards can be hard to find.

For sure. It feels to me that the Pentium 4 era is when manufacturing really stepped up and produced a whole ton of electronics. Then, a lot of us jumped ship when Core 2 was the new hotness. Even good Core 2s cost more than a P4 right now. Even the fastest readily available P4 for both 400 and 533 FSB can be had for super cheap. I really do think the supply for these processors and the boards they belong to will far outweigh the demand for many years to come. They're just so obnoxiously plentiful.

A good S370 on the other hand... that's been a struggle.

What would considered be a good 370 motherboard? I still have my Tyan Trinity 400 S1854 from back in the day.

I never liked the P4 to be honest and my collection has very few p4 systems (outside of laptops with P4M). I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system and some SiS chipset P4 motherboard with 8x AGP slot (MSI 655 Max). AMD systems of that era are more fun. Anybody bother with S370 Celeron board like an ABIT AB ZM-6?

Most P4 boards are destined to be recycled and become rare. People will hold onto the Core2 boards forever.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software