Oldbie

This YouTube video might be educated to some folks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k&t=0s

Reply 2 of 14, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Watched the video. I remember loosely following the stories as they happened a decade ago. As to the video itself...frustrating watching someone narrate shit to the viewer when I can read so much faster than they can speak.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 3 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:

Never knew it was this bad. This convinced me to stop supporting Intel and switch to amd period. 😈

I don't understand how this isn't kinda like common knowledge already. I wouldn't even be surprised if Intel even hired hardware reviewers or hired/bribed people "in the crowd" to trashtalk Intel's competitors, just to give these competitors a bad rep (this works cuz many people don't bother digging for facts and simply go by superficial reputation...and by what other people think).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 14, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Tetrium wrote:
Richo wrote:

Never knew it was this bad. This convinced me to stop supporting Intel and switch to amd period. 😈

I don't understand how this isn't kinda like common knowledge already. I wouldn't even be surprised if Intel even hired hardware reviewers or hired/bribed people "in the crowd" to trashtalk Intel's competitors, just to give these competitors a bad rep (this works cuz many people don't bother digging for facts and simply go by superficial reputation...and by what other people think).

Try our national politics, it's the same.
I know 1 thing that my nxt cpu will likely be a ryzen or threadripper in 2 years.

Reply 5 of 14, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My newest machine which I built about 3 years ago now, is a FX-6300 OCd to 4.5ghz with a R7-370 GPU. Aside from the video card, the CPU and board were already about 3 years old when I built it, but it was way cheaper than an equivalent intel setup and since gamin was (still is) maybe 10% of what I do with it, the performance for everything else I needed was way beyond intel from a price standpoint. I've considered building up a new intel machine in the interim but I think I'll just hold out for another AMD setup in a year or two. The damn thing is still more than enough for my needs and I saved so much money building with those parts that I really can't complain.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 6 of 14, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While i mostly agree that what Intel have been doing aren't quite ethical, i do however disagree on the view about intel's complier.
Those complier were made by intel, and naturally produces the optimized machine code for intel's CPUs,
intel are not under any obligation to do the same optimization for non-intel's CPUs.
If anything AMD should invest for their own 1st party compliers.

Last edited by Joey_sw on 2017-07-29, 06:02. Edited 1 time in total.

-fffuuu

Reply 7 of 14, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
senrew wrote:

Watched the video. I remember loosely following the stories as they happened a decade ago. As to the video itself...frustrating watching someone narrate shit to the viewer when I can read so much faster than they can speak.

I read at slightly faster than my own dictation speed, and have mild dyslexia, and I still prefer to read rather than have something dictated at me. This doesn't stop me from trying to read things aloud to people who can darn well read them on their own without my help.

Reply 8 of 14, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I just started actually seriously trying to watch this video but all I see are a bunch of Wikipedia pages with text highlighted. I even saw a "citation needed" next to one particular passage.

Because Wikipedia is a infallible credible source... right?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 9 of 14, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Everebody is trying to fool us...))viewed a youtube video few month ago - a review of 1990's MacintosIIsi, (or maybe LC-I) as I remeber by Jason's Macintosh Museum - the author told a lot that macintosh advertisement contans a lot of understatement and that Apple usd to fool it's customers... that now makes him angry) And if it was in 1990, what is in 2017 ))

Oh no it was by 65scribe -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqJ6iPHus0&t=873s

Reply 10 of 14, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And I just finished watching the entire video.

All I have to ask is: If Intel is guilty of all this stuff, and they've wasted billions of dollars on useless projects. How and why are they still around? Where'd all the money really go? Do we need more laws and government regulations or something?

I just don't get it.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 11 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

And I just finished watching the entire video.

All I have to ask is: If Intel is guilty of all this stuff, and they've wasted billions of dollars on useless projects. How and why are they still around? Where'd all the money really go? Do we need more laws and government regulations or something?

I just don't get it.

Rules are meaningless if rulebreakers can keep getting away with their mischievous acts.
The thing is that when there's no will, there is no way.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 14, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Richo wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Richo wrote:

Try our national politics, it's the same.
I know 1 thing that my nxt cpu will likely be a ryzen or threadripper in 2 years.

Ryzen 7 1700 for sure. Threadripper if you got the dough.

Reply 13 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm only using intel right now because AMD boards (the 2 cpu ones based on the 4000 & 6000 series) are made of suck and ass.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 14 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ScoutPilot19 wrote:

Everebody is trying to fool us...))viewed a youtube video few month ago - a review of 1990's MacintosIIsi, (or maybe LC-I) as I remeber by Jason's Macintosh Museum - the author told a lot that macintosh advertisement contans a lot of understatement and that Apple usd to fool it's customers... that now makes him angry) And if it was in 1990, what is in 2017 ))

Oh no it was by 65scribe -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqJ6iPHus0&t=873s

oh neat! subscribed!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.