Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Song (sung by The Hoff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTidn2dBYbY

It's from 2015 (?) but is even more 80s-ish than the 80s, hah. 😁

Anway, I thought it may interest you..

PS: Don't take it seriously. Rather think of it as a homage to an era long gone. ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yes, I like 80's movies, especially Top Gun, Firefox, and Iron Eagle. Why do they not make jetfighter-themed movies anymore these days?

Also, 80's TV series! Anyone loved Airwolf and Blue Thunder?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 26, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kung Fury is amazing and awesome. Possibly one of the greatest things on the internet.

There's also another video from it, where Hackerman gives the best hacking tutorial ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEkrWRHCDQU

😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 26, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Airwolf, of course, and Knight Rider. Although Knight Rider hasn't aged particularly well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvxXXjwhCyY

As for the Hoff's music career...
http://www.noecho.net/features/when-actors-ma … rds-80s-edition

It's really a comedy goldmine.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
Airwolf, of course, and Knight Rider. Although Knight Rider hasn't aged particularly well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvxXX […]
Show full quote

Airwolf, of course, and Knight Rider. Although Knight Rider hasn't aged particularly well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvxXXjwhCyY

As for the Hoff's music career...
http://www.noecho.net/features/when-actors-ma … rds-80s-edition

It's really a comedy goldmine.

🤣

I missed 80's TV series though. Yes, it might be cheesy by today's standard, but I love TV series with futuristic vehicles like sports car, motorbike, or helicopter. Also, I like 80's TV series characters like those of Airwolf or The A-Team.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 6 of 26, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

🤣

I missed 80's TV series though. Yes, it might be cheesy by today's standard, but I love TV series with futuristic vehicles like sports car, motorbike, or helicopter. Also, I like 80's TV series characters like those of Airwolf or The A-Team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWR0_0YaEzI

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 26, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yes, I like 80's movies, especially Top Gun, Firefox, and Iron Eagle. Why do they not make jetfighter-themed movies anymore these days?

Also, 80's TV series! Anyone loved Airwolf and Blue Thunder?

Blue Thunder and Airwolf fan here. Hopefully remakes will be on the way!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 8 of 26, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's what made 80's TV so great - it was full of shows about square-jawed vigilantes fighting crime with special vehicles. A-Team, Airwolf, Night Rider, MacGyver, Dukes of Hazzard, etc., and knockoffs like Blue Thunder and Street Hawk. There were attempts in the 90s to recapture the spirit of these shows with Viper and Thunder in Paradise, but they fell short. There was just something about the earnest vibe of 80s culture that couldn't be duplicated in the cynical 90s. Kung Fury, while full of 80s style, is more of an ironic, self-aware parody of the era than a sincere re-imagining.

But now that vibe seems to be resurfacing with stuff like Stranger Things and Ready Player One. Happy to see this, since for many people the 80s remains the best decade in living memory, producing some of our most beloved monuments of pop culture. Hopefully we're done with the ironic, cynical bullshit that has dominated the zeitgeist for the last 20+ years.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 9 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SiliconClassics wrote:

That's what made 80's TV so great - it was full of shows about square-jawed vigilantes fighting crime with special vehicles. A-Team, Airwolf, Night Rider, MacGyver, Dukes of Hazzard, etc., and knockoffs like Blue Thunder and Street Hawk. There were attempts in the 90s to recapture the spirit of these shows with Viper and Thunder in Paradise, but they fell short. There was just something about the earnest vibe of 80s culture that couldn't be duplicated in the cynical 90s. Kung Fury, while full of 80s style, is more of an ironic, self-aware parody of the era than a sincere re-imagining.

The 90's also had X-Files and Babylon Five, so the period was not really dark and cynical. Babylon Five especially has great characters, similar to 80's TV series like Airwolf or The A-Team. Also, X-Files is not really that depressing either, despite the series' story arc.

The year 2000 and above, I'm not sure. It seems Smallville is the only modern TV series with optimistic atmosphere.

Reply 10 of 26, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 90's also had X-Files and Babylon Five, so the period was not really dark and cynical...The year 2000 and above, I'm not sure.

The darkness definitely ramped-up after 2000 (post-DotCom burst and 9/11), but I think cynicism was well underway by the 90s:

1) Grunge music and gansta rap become mainstream starting in the mid 90s. Explicit song lyrics proliferate - remember the parental advisory stickers on CDs? Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" tops the charts in 1996. Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson bring angry, dark, twisted music to a wide audience.
2) "Edgy" becomes the new buzzword in screenwriting. Movies like Pulp Fiction and Fight Club shock audiences with protagonists who clearly don't GAF. By the end of the 90s animated films from studios like Disney and Dreamworks start showcasing irreverence and sarcasm.
3) TV shows like Daria and My So Called Life feature disaffected teens who look askance at anything that purports to be sincere. Cartoons like Beavis & Butthead, Ren & Stimpy, and South Park dispense with any notion of morality.

Sure there were some examples of this attitude in the 80s and earlier, and there are plenty of examples of sincere 90s entertainment like the shows you mentioned and Star Trek TNG and whatnot, but it was the 90s that really cemented irony and cynicism as the cultural standard IMHO.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 11 of 26, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

What about the outer limits reboot? that's one 90's show most people seem to forget, it they ever knew about it in the first place.
it was defiantly a product of the 90s but did not quite fit in with the rest of the 90s stuff. it wouldn't fit in with 80's show ether.
But yeah a lot of 90s shows lacked morals and were shock audience base and cynical like SiliconClassics said.

Also on a side note that 70''s show and king of the hill both started in the 90''s

Reply 12 of 26, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really liked the Rockford Files and Magnum P.I. from the late 70's and 80's. I tried to watch Knight Rider in order 7 years ago, but I couldn't stand it. I stopped after 2 episodes.

I like most 70's-90's movies. There is something about them which seems more real. Most of today's movies look more cartoony to me.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 13 of 26, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the 90's I used to watch only the X-Files series - as I never liked watching TV. One my school friend liked the Babylon-V series a lot... Then I learned about the Amiga - as A3000 machines were used to make computer graphics for the Babylon-5... And it impressed me very much, the things I've read about the Amiga ... If I could ever think then, that someday I would be able to buy such a computer !

Reply 15 of 26, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
feipoa wrote:

I like most 70's-90's movies. There is something about them which seems more real. Most of today's movies look more cartoony to me.

Same here, around 2002-2003 movies when down the drain. Comedys are all punchlines and profanely, thrillers are all special effects and so on.

Reply 16 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Same here, around 2002-2003 movies when down the drain. Comedys are all punchlines and profanely, thrillers are all special effects and so on.

,.......it's been like that for several decades, especially since the fall of the Hayes Code.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 26, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can tell the movie industry is in the shitter when all their biggest productions are remakes and rehashes of old movies noone asked for. Be it Star wars, Ghost busters, Blade runner or the ironic self-aware "80s" action movie #37

I also like it how the Marvel superhero movies are planned a decade in advance, while the current ones are already out of ideas and are all running on the same boring formula.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 18 of 26, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Superhero movies 😵 Its the same thing every dang time with as little change as possible.
I like superhero movies and TV shows and all but ever since the Spiderman 2002 movie came out they all been more or less remakes with very little changed from movie to movie.

Its like everyone has ran out of ideas, and when someone dose come up with a new idea the end result is trash. Like Hardcore Henry witch was shot in first person view.

I find that most of the time its low budget B grade movies that are mostly any good today.

Reply 19 of 26, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Superhero movies have been a major disappointment for me lately, especially after seeing "Spiderman Homecoming". Seems like the usual protocol is instead of making the characters like in the comics they have everything "machine based" like the Vulture villain. Kind of depressing since I grew up reading comics in the 70's and now they have the tech to bring it to life but get lost trying to do it.

I can remember the Superman movies in the 80's and they were enjoyable despite the cheesy special effects because the acting, character development and writing were above par. Superman now is depicted as an "A" hole bully who needs his butt kicked. Just my take, anybody feel the same way?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W