VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 53, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first gaming console in my home was the Sega Master System/Power Base - My dad brought it home around 1987-88. I had 5 cartridges - CAlifornia Games, Grand Prix, Thunder Blade, World Soccer, Space Harrier... And Supe Hang on built in the system...

I've sold it to another collector from St. Pere this summer, but it's still in working condition)

The first game on the IBM PC I played - was the Alley Cat - around 1991 at some friend's place... Then saw the F-19 at my father's job around 1992 or 1991... I couldn't take off then as didn't know the right combination - but what I saw amazed me a lot - ships sailin around and other planes flying in the night sky !

Also Remember watching "older boys" playing Golden Axe and Death Track on a 286 computer in my school in director's office around 1993 or 1992 (one of them was school director's son)) ) - they now forget these games and machines, but not me)))

Reply 41 of 53, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First game I ever played was Hunchback on an 8-bit computer, most likely an MSX but maybe a Spectrum ZX. It was either 84 or 85. We were on vacation and at the hotel there was this one corner where a couple 8-bit computers were hooked up to black and white monitors, and you could play them like arcades at a hefty price per one go at the games. One of the PCs had Hunchback running, and it was the first game I ever played. My dad was with me at the time, and I could immediately tell he was as captivated by it as I was, but he didn't pay to play himself. Instead, he came home with an Atari 800XL box a couple years later..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 42 of 53, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

hmmm, earliest memory is of a home console Pong of some kind

What did it look like? This was my first experience too, but when I played it, it was already a hand-me-down o.0. I still got ours (Grandstand) at my mothers somewhere. Crappy plastic 'reset' button broken so always had to give the 'pad' a right good shake to reset the game (luckily the 'serve' button was intact 😀). It had a big switch with 4 games ("tennis" aka pong, "squash" aka pong against a wall, "football" aka when pong met fussball/double vision pong, and "practice" which iirc was like "pong against a wall" for loaners and single children like me 😵 ).

First game I think that I actually thought "yeah! the future is here" was donkey kong on NES, which a friend had. I remember being incredibly intrigued by the little johhny5-alike thinggy (my friend had the gadgets to go with his NES... spoilt bastard grrr), thinking that was far more interesting than the games. Maybe thats the single child thinggy kicking in again, didn't have pets, and tamogotchis hadn't been invented then.

Reply 43 of 53, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
spiroyster wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

What did it look like? This was my first experience too, but when I played it, it was already a hand-me-down o.0.

Sorry, this was so long ago I don't remember anything but the glowing screen, high above me.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 45 of 53, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first game that I (barely) remember was a vertical scrolling vehicle combat game on the Commodore64. This would have been when I was three or so (1993) so I was watching my Dad and brother play rather than playing it myself! The first game I played was probably Aladdin on PC, I couldn't get beyond the first level though!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 47 of 53, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
spiroyster wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

What did it look like? This was my first experience too, but when I played it, it was already a hand-me-down o.0.

Sorry, this was so long ago I don't remember anything but the glowing screen, high above me.

Wouldn't it be the Oddysey, I hope

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 48 of 53, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dad bought us an Amstrad 512 (8086, 8MHz, dual-floppy) when I was 10.. first games were alleycat and sopwith in CGA color. The GEM graphical environment was terrible, and even as a kid I felt it was poor software.
First game on Atari 2600 was star wars. I still remember the rythmic thumping as the walkers progressed forward.
Then a Japanese family moved in beside us and I was blown away by their Famicom; first games I saw on it were Super Mario and Legend of Kage, which blew me away with how expansive the levels were: trees and clouds, and many-story buildings to jump around on.
So many good memories!

Reply 49 of 53, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1st arcade game was the original Space Invaders when it first came out. Man I spent so many quarters in the 1980's on arcade games, they were in all the stores and malls.
1st computer games was something on a friends new Atari 800 (original heavy unit). We all got C64's after that.
1st home console game was breakout on the Atari 2600 when it came out.

Nothing excites anymore like the rise of video arcades did in the 1980's playing the original Space Invaders, Pacman, Defender, Galaga, Battlezone, Asteroids, Tempest, Centipede, etc.
RTS starting with Dune2, C&C, Warcraft 1 and 2, and finally AoE also thrilled me.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 53 of 53, by tiben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretty sure it was Bombjack on the amstrad CPC of my cousin. I was 4 or 5 years old. I now possess this Amstrad and the original Bombjack tape that still works today 😀

EDIT: Or maybe it was Exolon on this Amstrad.