VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

For those that dont know, I repair a lot of dead hardware, what is beyond fixing I scrap.
Yesterday I melted down a hand full of old zalman full coper heatsinks. They all had broken fans and mounting tabs and so on.

Anway there were two heatsinks the stood out to me as they contained almost no copper at all.
These too
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/media/image/th … 363_800x800.jpg
http://www.ocmodshop.com/images/reviews/heats … nps_9500_03.jpg

The pipes were copper, but the rest of both heat sinks were thickly copper pated aluminum. 😠
if I recall both sinks were avertized as haveing aluminum fins and the rest being copper.

Now this is not the first time i seen this, having melted alot of junk heatsinks I can tell you most copper heat sinks art even copper at all. I melted a few koolance nickel plated copper water black that were not copper but brass that was nickel plated. But I was able to to burn the zinc out of it. 😀

I wish I had photos to back up my words. But keep an eye out when buying heatsinks. Not all copper heatsinks are copper.

Next time I meld down some junk heat sinks ill be sure to post photos. I think I have some older msi vga heatsinks that are fake copper. MSI used alot if fake capper heatsinks around 2002-2004.

Edit: ill post some photos latter today on how to spot fake copper heatsinks.

Reply 1 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

The result if melting dowm zalman copper heatsinks. Not counting the stated aluminum parts such as fins.

Looks more like aluminum bronze.

Reply 2 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh well, good thing I preferred Ice Hammer coolers.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I never dealt with their heat sinks, but I see one online that may be fake copper or a copper alloy.
A lot of cooper heat sinks will be a copper aluminum or copper nickel alloy it prevent the copper from dulling or corroding. Some say adding aluminum to the alloy makes it a better heat sink, but I never tested that.

Give me some time and I'll make a good wright up on spotting fake copper heat sinks.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-09-06, 15:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

I never dealt with their heat sinks, but I see one online that may be fake copper or a copper alloy.
A lot of cooper heat sinks will be a copper aluminum or copper nickel alloy it prevent the copper from dulling or corroding. Some say adding aluminum makes it a better heat sink, but I never tested that.

Give me some time and I'll make a good wright up on spotting fake copper heat sinks.

Copper sinks heat better, but holds on to it longer as well.

Aluminum dissipates heat a lot faster than copper.

IMO the best compromise is having a thin copper base/heatspreader or heatpipes with aluminum fins.

The thinner and higher the quantity of fins the better as long as adequate air can still move between the fins to cool them down.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So they say. A lot of factors go into what makes a heatsink good.

Anyway Vantec copper iceberg ram heat sinks are not copper ether. But a copper aluminum alloy. Melting a few of them down the other day too. How one crushes ram heat sinks I don't know. 😕

Reply 6 of 10, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting and strange at the same time, because Zalman would have been sued for it since it clearly states " Pure copper" on those Zalman retail cooler boxes. Try older models. Zalman is still my weapon of choice.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

Oh well, good thing I preferred Ice Hammer coolers.

You are too naive...

Reply 7 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Pure copper plating*, infact water blcks aside i hardly ever see a 100% pure copper heatsink, they allmost always tend to be an alloy of some sort and that's for the best. Once I finsh my c2q bould ill have a pc i can post feom and will make a full report.

Anyway im out of old junk zalman coolers.
That being said I have owned some older zalman sinks and they definitely are pure copper.

Reply 8 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Their heat pipped coolers always felt light for their size but this doesn't surprise me, even Apple does this. cnps 7000 series (the old school ones) were certainly copper and they are heavy, had some go through a house fire (lost a home to arson) and they didn't melt.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 10, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not like you actually pick cooling systems in their price category just based on the composition. Those times I've been persuaded, it's because they performed well against the competition.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 10 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
firage wrote:

Not like you actually pick cooling systems in their price category just based on the composition. Those times I've been persuaded, it's because they performed well against the competition.

For air cooling thats definitely ture.

Water cooling is a little different.