VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been an almost exclusively nVidia user because of this (full version here), but I already knew GPU Scaling has been disappeared from Catalyst Control Center. As such, all 4:3 games are stretched. The last time I seen GPU Scaling in Catalyst Control Center is around 2010, where I installed the on-board GPU driver, an AMD 760G (Radeon HD 3000), for Biostar A780L3G motherboard. I installed it from the motherboard installation CD, and the Catalyst driver on the CD indeed has GPU scaling. However, I have lost the CD ever since, and when I reinstalled the Biostar A780L3G motherboard last year, I had to download the driver from Biostar website (the GPU driver is part of the chipset driver). Guess what? The bundled Catalyst Control Center doesn't have GPU scaling either.

I have never really cared all the time, because I haven't been using Radeon GPU's for games for quite a long time. However, lately I've been interested to test old games on Radeon HD 7770. Of course,the inability to keep a game's aspect ratio is annoying. When playing 4:3 games, I want to play them with vertical black bars instead of the game being stretched. With GPU scaling, aspect ratio is kept automatically, ie 16:9 will automatically fill the monitor as it should, while 4:3 will automatically have vertical black bars.

I don't know why did AMD remove GPU scaling from Catalyst Control Center. Perhaps some Armani-clad yuppies in the GPU division just hate to see people happily playing old 4:3 games, I don't know. GPU Scaling disappeared before Lisa Su era anyway, so it isn't surprising.

el7akjq.png
...but the help file STILL mentions GPU Scaling!

However, from the screenshot above, GPU Scaling is still mentioned in the Catalyst Control Center's help file. So is there any chance GPU Scaling could be restored, by hack or otherwise?

By the way, I'm using Radon HD 7770, Catalyst 13.1, and Windows XP SP2.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:

Are you using D-Sub? You need DVI.

Wait, so I'd need to use DVI to have GPU Scaling? So if I connect the monitor using DVI, will the GPU Scaling menu automatically show up on CCC?

This is the first time I use VGA again for non-retro system, since my test monitor doesn't support DVI. I have DVI to VGA adapter, but connecting it to the Radeon HD 7770, the monitor doesn't get any signal. I have Googled for a while, and it seems to be a common issue with Radeon HD 7770.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 5 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:

Yeah, the GPU Scaling should be available with DVI (HDMI and DP as well).

Well, but...

mrau wrote:

i have 6670 and have this option with dsub connector;

Yes, that was my experience too with on-board Radeon 760G (Radeon HD 3000) in 2010, and with the motherboard's installation disc instead of the downloadable drivers, and I also had GPU Scaling option. In fact, I remember playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (yes, the first MoHAA) on that computer, with 640x480 resolution, with two vertical black bars.

Also this.

foxX wrote:

I had the same problem myself on my Samsung 1920x1200 monitor. When connecting it via DVI the image got always stretched. If I connected it instead via D-SUB (the analogic "VGA" connection) the "scale" option worked just fine. As a secondary screen I was using a Samsung connected via D-SUB for which "stretch" / "center with black borders on top and on bottom" worked just fine.

Reply 7 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

Amd cards never were know for having good drivers.
Have you tired older drivers?

What is the oldest driver still supports Radeon HD 7770? I'd rather go straight to the bottom instead of installing and uninstalling various drivers.

Reply 8 of 22, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never seen the GPU scaling with D-Sub (including GeForce cards). Maybe through display mode timings, but it's not really the same thing.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/DH-019.aspx

"A digital connection must be used."

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 10 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:

I've never seen the GPU scaling with D-Sub (including GeForce cards). Maybe through display mode timings, but it's not really the same thing.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/DH-019.aspx

"A digital connection must be used."

mrau wrote:

the other amd article does not mention this, somethings tunashy here

Also this.

foxX wrote:

I had the same problem myself on my Samsung 1920x1200 monitor. When connecting it via DVI the image got always stretched. If I connected it instead via D-SUB (the analogic "VGA" connection) the "scale" option worked just fine. As a secondary screen I was using a Samsung connected via D-SUB for which "stretch" / "center with black borders on top and on bottom" worked just fine.

And like I said, I remember playing MoH:AA on the Biostar A780L3G's AMD 760G, using older drivers from the mobo installation CD. I played in 640x480 resolution, with vertical black bars and correct aspect ratio.

Reply 12 of 22, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
foxX wrote:

And like I said, I remember playing MoH:AA on the Biostar A780L3G's AMD 760G, using older drivers from the mobo installation CD. I played in 640x480 resolution, with vertical black bars and correct aspect ratio.

thanks, i just failed again at reading, :-<

maybe you had such a monitor that scales properly, i think mine did

Reply 13 of 22, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Amd cards never were know for having good drivers.
Have you tired older drivers?

What year is it???

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14 of 22, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Screenshot of the 20(11)-10 driver I am using on a Windows XP system. Using it with atioglxx.dll OpenGL driver version (20)11-5.
This scaling option works well and I would hate to do without it.

Intel HD Graphics have this scaling option too, but the option only appears when the desktop resolution is not equal to the native screen resolution. For that reason I make a silly custom resolution like 1910x1080.

Attachments

• catalyst_v2011pt10.png
    Filename
    catalyst_v2011pt10.png
    File size
    58.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 15 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:
Screenshot of the 20(11)-10 driver I am using on a Windows XP system. Using it with atioglxx.dll OpenGL driver version (20)11-5. […]
Show full quote

Screenshot of the 20(11)-10 driver I am using on a Windows XP system. Using it with atioglxx.dll OpenGL driver version (20)11-5.
This scaling option works well and I would hate to do without it.

file.php?id=37760&t=1

Hold on.

I remember seeing the GPU scaling option in my old AMD 760G driver, which came with the Biostar A780L3G installation CD (which has lost). It was like 2010 or so. I don't remember which menu was it, but I remember seeing the Enable GPU Scaling tick box, and played 640x480 MoHAA with correct aspect ratio (two vertical black bars) despite the monitor was cheap, 'VGA-only' monitor.

Reply 16 of 22, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I remember, I never got GPU scaling option on AMD/ATI with VGA connection.

It works with DVI. Tested on HD3850, HD5770 and HD7850.

Note that using DVI to VGA adapter still counts as VGA, so no GPU scaling will be available.

Reply 17 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In 2010 I had GPU scaling option with older drivers for my AMD 760G integrated GPU. But fine, perhaps newer Catalyts have been limited to DVI-only for the option to work.

I have tried ATI Tray Tools but it crashes my PC.

Are there another options?

Reply 19 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to this HardOCP Thread, I should be able to use PowerStrip to keep 4:3 aspect ratio (black bars) by selecting "Advanced timing options", and then modifying the screen shape to 4:3. However, I have installed PowerStrip and in mine, the "Advanced timing options" button is greyed out.

I have tried re-scanning as suggested by this thread, but no dice. The "Advanced timing options" is still greyed out.

EDIT: oh ok, I managed to make an 4:3 profile by following these steps. But then I still have to make application profile accordingly.