VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I was planning to make a game for MS-DOS, and I wanted to use a game engine, instead of programming the game from scratch.

I found RSD Game Maker: http://www.aderack.com/game-maker/index.php?title=Main_Page.
It looks awesome, but it seems a bit difficult to use.

The engine requirements are: 286, VGA, 512 Kb, It also uses sound blaster for sound and music.
I set dosbox to: 386_slow, 2700 cycles, VGA, and used loadfix to set 512 kb of RAM.
And... it worked very well!. Even the scrolling was smooth in some test games (others are too slow).
The best thing about this engine, is it uses maps and tiles, and the scrolling works very well in the simplest games.

Could somebody test it on a real 286?.

Are there any other engines like this?.

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 6, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ScoutPilot19 wrote:

Hi ! I can test on a real 286.

No need for e-mail, Just download the engine: https://github.com/gandrewstone/GameMaker. And post if it works.

You run: cd\gm\gm.exe, thats the main program.

Then in the folder: cd\sharware\ you'll find test games, most of them should work slow, because they have a lot of sprites and sounds.
But for example "signhdg" seems to run at 60 fps in the main map, and If you enter a level (platformer) it should run slower, at about 25 fps.

I just wanted to know if a real pc would run it well like dosbox.

I also found it is not so difficult to use... and it includes a image importer in gif format, it loaded my tiles and images just perfect into the vga palettes.

Thanks a lot!.

Last edited by Qbix on 2017-09-07, 13:04. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: email removed

Reply 4 of 6, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested PCem, an emulator that can be set to simulate very specific hardware such as CPU or video cards.

So I set it to emulate a 286 12 mhz, 1 MB ram and VGA.

The first time I tried the RSD GAme Maker did nothing, just went back to dos, then I realised It might be looking for a mouse, so I installed a mouse driver, and..

It works vey well, the scrolling is running very smooth, like in the comander keen games, even a bit faster. But the simulated VGA seems to be a bit slower than dosbox and it has glitches that turn the screen black, if you try to scroll a map up or down.

So the engine should run on a real 286 😀.

Reply 5 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCem's okay at simulating old computers for development, but don't rely on it too much because you could hit a case of Schrodinger's Bug.

Really cool for later generations with the use of profiling 3d assets and engines on emulated Voodoo2s to see where hitches occur on old "hardware" in a more convenient way 😀 (i.e. booting a tiny win95 image solely to run a batch-generated ISO of a test version)

apsosig.png
long live PCem