VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys;

i just got my hands on a logitech 3d joystick with Force feedback. Could someone please advise me on some great airplane games. I have only played one Airplane game in my life which was Hawx.

If someone can tell me which airplane game i should try, running Windows98 and supports the logitech joystick.
I am basically after the "Quake" or "Need for Speed" of Airplane games. Not interested in Simulators.

Reply 1 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be able to use the joystick with pretty much any game that supports joystick type input.

For non-simulator games, the Wing Commander series is pretty sweet.

You have Wing commander 1-4, Privateer and Privateer 2.

No technically airplane games. They are space flight games and much better than any airplane sim IMO.

You could also go for some of the Star Wars games.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 16, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
You should be able to use the joystick with pretty much any game that supports joystick type input. […]
Show full quote

You should be able to use the joystick with pretty much any game that supports joystick type input.

No technically airplane games. They are space flight games and much better than any airplane sim IMO.

You know any good WW2 plane games, preferable something from late 90s, not dos games

Reply 3 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JaKSLaP wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
You should be able to use the joystick with pretty much any game that supports joystick type input. […]
Show full quote

You know any good WW2 plane games, preferable something from late 90s, not dos games

Jane's World War II Fighters.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 16, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator (1 and 3) are excellent!

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 5 of 16, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Crimson Skies. It's a rather arcade-like flight sim, set not in WW2 but in an alternate 1930s timeline where airships are used like aircraft carriers, and you are an air-pirate. Gameplay focuses on dogfighting with guns and occasional flying under/through stuff.

Reply 7 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So what's up with this sudden interest in flight sims?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 8 of 16, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Speaking for myself, just wanted to try something different than Quake, Doom, and etc. Also the movie "Red Tails" got me interested too.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 9 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote:

Speaking for myself, just wanted to try something different than Quake, Doom, and etc. Also the movie "Red Tails" got me interested too.

Welcome to the club, then.

If you're into DOS sims, I'd suggest Their Finest Hour, Knights of the Sky, and Pacific Strike. Those are nice dogfight sims, and the avionics are simple.

When you want something more complex, then you might wanna' try A-10 Tank Killer and F-117A.

Reply 10 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since no one else does, I recommend Strike Fighters series 1 and 2. All of them run fine in Windows XP, except 'North Atlantic' which requires some tweaks for XP. The '2' series can be automatically merged into a single game with the combined content.
https://store.thirdwire.com/store_w7_all.htm#ShowMore

Edit, oh it was your other post that asked for Windows XP. If this is Windows 98 specific then SF2 is out but SF1 is still fine.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 16, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Speaking for myself i just picked a logitech wingman force 3d, and realized i haven't played much airplane games. Still looking for a nice arcadey airplane game that supports force feedback. i just installed IL-2 Sturmovik, and dont even know how to make the plane take off. Looking for something easy and simple

Reply 13 of 16, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

F/A-18 Korea

F/A-18 Hornet 3.0

Mig-29 Fulcrum (Windows) by Novalogic

Su-27 Flanker by SSI (Windows version), but this maybe a bit "hardcore"

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 16, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Non-study light sims:

Jane's USAF

Crimson Skies

F-16 by Novalogic (Integrates with MiG-29 if you have it)
MiG-29 by Novalogic (Integrates with F-16 if you have it)
(I didn't care for either of these.)

Airfix Dogfighter

Not airplanes, but very good:

X-Wing

TIE Fighter

Rogue Squadron

Freespace

Freespace 2

Archimedean Dynasty and Aquanox

Sub Culture

Allegiance (Multiplayer Only)

Sinistar Unleashed

Reply 15 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS games, but should run fine in Win98:
Strike Commander (1990s fighter jets)
Pacific Strike (WWII)
Wings of Glory (WWI)

I've recently played through Wings of Glory and Pacific Strike and am about halfway through Strike Commander. All three have cinematic cutscenes, engaging storlyine, and simple flight controls. If you've ever played any of the Wing Commanders, it's like that, but on earth.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 16 of 16, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I totally forgot to mention Jane's Fighters Anthology. That one is an excellent light sim that runs well in Win9x. It has lots of different aircraft, missions, and campaigns. No dynamic campaign, though.