VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I recently got in my head that I would spreadsheet all of the games that I have on my (now various) retro systems and play on a not-absolutely-never frequency to see what year of release the games are that I have and play. I was actually surprised. I was expecting most games to be 1995 or later, which I suppose by grouping them in a certain way you could argue is true, but as it turns out I have a huge spike in quantity of games from 1993 (by game release year, not by when I would have originally played them).

richard-games.png
Filename
richard-games.png
File size
15.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm curious what other peoples' looks like?

Reply 1 of 7, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, I haven't started my deep dive into my game library, but I was planning on keeping these kinds of statistics. It'll be awhile before I have enough data to make a pretty chart though.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 2 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RJDog wrote:

So I recently got in my head that I would spreadsheet all of the games that I have on my (now various) retro systems and play on a not-absolutely-never frequency to see what year of release the games are that I have and play. I was actually surprised. I was expecting most games to be 1995 or later, which I suppose by grouping them in a certain way you could argue is true, but as it turns out I have a huge spike in quantity of games from 1993 (by game release year, not by when I would have originally played them).

richard-games.png

I'm curious what other peoples' looks like?

1993. The era of 320x200, 256 color VGA games. Many great games happened to be released here, like Strike Commander, Ultima VII: Serpent Isle, Ultima Underworld 2, Night Hawk: F-117 Stealth Fighter 2.0, and Syndicate were released this year.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 7, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

1993. The era of 320x200, 256 color VGA games. Many great games happened to be released here, like Strike Commander, Ultima VII: Serpent Isle, Ultima Underworld 2, Night Hawk: F-117 Stealth Fighter 2.0, and Syndicate were released this year.

DOOM also came out in december of 1993 😜. And yep, the legendary mode13h lives on forever!

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 7, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is an interesting concept, but for me it would be an overwhelming task as I have way over 700 games on dozens of systems. I could do it just for the PC games, but then again I do tend to sell (and buy) them from time to time and I doubt I'd remember to update my list. I just noticed I haven't updated my computer/console list since December and now I have a hard time remembering what I've sold and what I've bought in the past year... But yeah, it would be awesome to have just one clean sheet with everything in it as I don't really know where I have stored my stuff. All I have is a vague list of items I should have in my possession and no indication of where they are. 😢

Reply 5 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to keep a spreadsheet of my games and track start and finish times, but stopped updating it after I started posting in "List the PC Games You Have Beaten" thread. 🤣. I guess it wasn't that important. If I really want to know, I can search through that thread to get an idea of how long it took me to beat a game.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1993 was a bad year for me. I was still trudging along with a 386SX, which was a whole two years old. I would look at the game boxes in Babbage's, but just got frustrated by their insane 25MHz CPU requirements. Upgrading wasn't cheap back then, especially when your computer had a soldered CPU. 😠
Since I couldn't run them when they were new, I'm not sure there were very many 1993 games that I ever paid attention to, even after I had upgraded. I did play DOOM shareware later on, but then bought DOOM 2, not 1.
I played Ultima Underworld, but UW2 is still on the bucket list.

In 1993 my computer was still trying to get through Ultima 7. It may sound like I was slow, but I refer you again to my 386SX 16MHz processor. I think this is about the pace that could be expected.
My greatest achievement was learning how to overcome the more demanding missions in X-Wing at about 5fps. Kids who can't manage a framerate 3x that high get no sympathy from me.

Anyway, this is an interesting idea.
Games played by year of release in the past ~2 years:

1987     1
1989 1
1990 2
1991 1
1992 1
2011 3

There's a huge gap between the console games (NES and Genesis) and the PC games. Once I get a retro gaming PC properly set up and conveniently usable, hopefully that will change. I have a K6-3 set up right now but I've just been benchmarking with it, not really playing. By the time I start really playing I expect to build something different.

Reply 7 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

DOOM also came out in december of 1993 😜. And yep, the legendary mode13h lives on forever!

256 color 320x200 always brings sweet memories, is it not?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.