Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.e-insite.net/electronicnews/index. … &spacedesc=news

Woohoo!

Order me 2 Intel 1g NICS last week. Should be here this week.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You DO realise that this isn't going to boost your LAN gaming performance, right? I mean, FFS:

• You already have 10-20ms ping times
  • You aren't SENDING 1Gbit of data, ever, period
  • The max throughput of a 7200RPM ATA/133 HDD is, IIRC, 55MB/s. Not 102.4MB/s. Not even CLOSE.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 4, by chanza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pah, you're missing the point. It *sounds* impressive:)

"Hey DosFreak, I just bought a new computer from PC World! It's better than yours I bet!"

"Oh really? What is it?"

"A Compaq! Whats yours?"

"Oh, mine's a custom built job. It has interchangable video cards, I use a GeForce 4 or a Radeon 9700 depending on the gaming situation. I have 1gig of DDE-RAM, four 7200RPM 120 Gigabyte hard drives daisychained together with my CD-R drive, DVD-R drive, and separate CD/DVD drives for playback so as not to wear out the burners. I have 2 gigabit NIC cards, one for my home lan setup, and one for my dsl connection."

"?!"

"Oh, and an intellimouse explorer. You know, the optical one with a flashing red light underneath."

"A RED LIGHT? WOWSER!"

etc. :)

"How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heheh. U guys are funny. Nah, this is for my home File Server. You know the Promise RAID 5 card with 6 channel IDE's running in RAID 5 with 6 Western Digital 120GB HD's in RAID 5! Yeah, the server with the 1g Intel NIC for file transfers to other computers. Muahahahah! 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, when you increase the number of drives that are in a RAID-5 array, does the amount of non-parity space increase as well? With three drives, you get 2/3 space... but wouldn't the amount of parity needed versus the amount of available increase proportionally? I mean, I'm not saying you wouldn't have MORE space, I'm just saying it's not an exponential gain, and that's rather a lot of overkill. I hope your PCI bus can handle it. 😉

Yes, it’s my fault.