VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unlike, say, CoD, the Wehrmacht soldiers in Return to Castle Wolfenstein speak English with (fake?) German accent. The most amusing line is when they yelled "ZOMEONE ZHERE?" when noticing noises made by the player.

Then I remember General von Esling from Red Alert, who speaks English with nasal 'z' in place of 't'. His accent is almost similar to the RtWC soldiers, but still notably different.

So, between the two, which German accent is closer to reality? It seems to me both cases are fake German accents anyway, because when I learnt to speak Deutsch in Goethe Institut, throaty 'r' is more prominent than replacing 't' with 'z'. It seems to me the most realistic German accent in both games is that of Professot Einstein in Red Alert FMV cutscenes, which sounds closer to reality than those of RtWC soldiers and General von Esling.

CMIIW though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 4, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having studied German fairly extensively (unfortunately not to the point of living abroad)--- I'd say if you're looking for authentic German accents it's hard to beat Wolfenstein New Order (or any of the newer Wolfenstein games).

I'd guess that of both examples you gave, neither is particularly realistic. But then I'm not as familiar with Red Alert, and would have to go looking for audio...but my guess is that it is a very "Hollywood" type accent, like they are trying too hard.

Just curious, why do you ask?

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

C&C's are known for their "fun" take on acting, I wouldn't look even consider them trying to be realistic.
Didn't really get into RTCW, but doubt they tried either, Its German for the uneducated English speaking masses!

But then Arnold Schwarzenegger offered to do his own dubbing into German for Terminator, but his Austrian accent makes him sound like a "country boy" more then a mean killing machine.
So even the native speakers are very particular about what sounds right!