Common searches

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/nransom-nude-r … nsomware/18597/

This is just plan sick.
Make sure you don't pay the ransom guys, they will likely use the photos to extort money from you latter on. If you get hit by it just hit Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F4 and run a scan in your system.

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This newest generation of malware is going to require the OS providers to implement functions that enterprise AV vendors provide like Application Control, Change Control etc. May as well slap it on there anyway since Windows is a "service" now. SRP/App locker has been in Windows for a very long time and the next build of Window 10 will move a little bit in that direction.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Wasn't UAC meant to control application installs and system changes? I guess it is more or less worthless theses days. Vista was the only version of windows that UAC was setup the right way out of the box, even then with the windows password being they way they are UAC is still not that good on vista.

As for SRP, I never understood whyM$ does not ship a few templates with windows and ask you to pick on when you setup the system.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-09-27, 15:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 14, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And this is why you need to have a NAS (Network Attached Storage).

All my important data is on the NAS. So if anything happens to my main systems, I just nuke Windows or Linux.

Reply 7 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
dexvx wrote:

All my important data is on the NAS. So if anything happens to my main systems, I just nuke Windows or Linux.

that's not the best idea. a NAS can get hit too. You best bet is offline hard backups with something like, cd's, flash drives, tape or external hdds. I seen countless people hit by ransomware that had network storage hit as well, including NAS systems.

Reply 8 of 14, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Pretty sure this is a joke virus.

Its always a bad idea to view any malware as a joke.

I mean, I know it’s an actual malware, but it was probably made as a joke and unintentionally spread, like that ransomware that made you play some game and get a certain score a few months back.

Reply 9 of 14, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
dexvx wrote:

that's not the best idea. a NAS can get hit too. You best bet is offline hard backups with something like, cd's, flash drives, tape or external hdds. I seen countless people hit by ransomware that had network storage hit as well, including NAS systems.

Yes, your NAS will get hit if user is stupid enough to connect to it 24/7 with full RW access.

Flash drives are not ideal for long term (>1 year) offline storage. Eventually the electrons lose enough charge and you may experience bit rot. Spinning disk drives and physical media (CD/DVD/BluRay/Tape) are far better options.

Reply 10 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

If its on the network it can get hit. A pc doesn't need to be attached to it at the time of infection. But it certainly helps.
I seen malware jump subnets to connect to systems not attached to the infected host. Its not all that common but it happens. In fact a earlyer this year I cleaned up a mess that jump from the DMZ to a internal network powered on a offline nas via walk up on lan and connected a system to it then encrypted all the files on the nas.
The malware that hits bigger companies can be rather smart and sometimes written with a few targets in mind.

And flash drives roting after a year? That a first for me. I have old flash drives from the early 00s with data still on them, no problem at all. Id be more worried about hardware failure then rot. Definitely better to go with cds, tap or hdds in the long run. But flash is quite useful for a quick temp backup.

Reply 12 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Malik wrote:

Why not download pics from persiankitty (or your favorite webpage) and re-upload to that nRansom-er? 🤣

Reportedly the malware checks to see if you took a photo off the internet. likely a Google image search or something?

Still That would be a neat ting to try in a test environment. Even better send really sick photos in place of nude photos. The options are endless and chances are someone is on the other end looking at them. So like send in little mermaid and SpongeBob shit or something from 100's of test setups with different IP's 🤣

Reply 13 of 14, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Reportedly the malware checks to see if you took a photo off the internet. likely a Google image search or something?

You could also mirror the images and mess with the tones/colors so they don't come up in image search.

Reply 14 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
sf78 wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

You could also mirror the images and mess with the tones/colors so they don't come up in image search.

Yeah, this is why it would be fun to play with in a test setup.