VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sold my 2500K to a man, when he went come, he tested the cpu with the heat sink loose,
then he said the sabbertooth led light came on, and he complaint my cpu was faulty.

Did he just burn my CPU? what can I do now?

Attachments

• IMG-20171003-WA0000.jpg
    Filename
    IMG-20171003-WA0000.jpg
    File size
    112.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With any modern CPU (as in "from the last 10 years"), it is extremely unlikely that any damage can be caused by briefly running it without proper cooling (loose heatsink, or even without heatsink at all).

The thermal protection will trip immediately as soon as the temperature exceeds a predefined threshold, and the system will just shut down.

If you sold this to a man (and got paid for it), it is now his CPU, not yours - that is, his problem, not yours. Even if he damaged it in any way by doing what you said he did - you are obviously not responsible. Thus, it is not clear you should do anything at all.

I would simply advise the person to turn the system off completely, disconnect power, mount the CPU correctly (including properly applied thermal paste and a well-attached heatsink), turn it back on (if need be - reset CMOS), and check again. If it still does not work, the motherboard should have a troubleshooting guide in the manual, explaining what each indication means and how to check everything out.

If the man is inexperienced in assembling computers, he should get the help of someone who can.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 11, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Love that daisychained 8-pin EPS 😁
You can't kill Intel CPU with only loose heatsink - unless it shorts something.
CPUs simply clocks down and send "PROC_HOT" signal to MB for it to shut down because of temp.
He could kill it if he tried to overclock it without heatsink and with thermal sensors shut off (or CPU worked, but he f* up while installing and damaged his board, now he simply needs cash back).

If you didn't wrote that you guarantee it will work and added "buyer can return it within x days if...", you don't have to do anything.

157143230295.png

Reply 3 of 11, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After I told him to mount the heat sink correctly, he replied as he needed to cleanse the legs of the cpu further, does it means he is looking his way out from being embarrassed?

And he said if the cpu overheated, it will take 10-15 secs for power cut-off, now he says immediately..
thanks
Jack

Last edited by lucky7456969 on 2017-10-03, 11:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 11, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ask him for picture of CPU socket (without CPU inside).
Cleaning pads won't do anything if pins are bend or full of thermal paste.

EDIT : You are correct.
MB will shut itself down if CPU temps reach critical levels on thermal probes.

157143230295.png

Reply 9 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
lucky7456969 wrote:

I sold ram to him too, he said all faulty at first, now he said some has come back up now. WTF.. Wasting my time

Ugg, buyers that don't know what there doing are the worst. I'd take a scam buyer over a uneducated buyer anyday.

Reply 10 of 11, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Co … -up-to-3_70-GHz
He's got to be kidding, 72.6 degrees case temperature in a 33 degrees ambient environment running naked on a high-end cpu

Reply 11 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you just sold the CPU separately or without the motherboard or without the heatsink attached, then whatever happens will be his responsibility. Don't take the blame for it.

The 2500K-era motherboards are usually advanced enough to shut down if they detect CPU overheating.
More so with the Sabrerooth you mentioned.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard with 2500K in the workplace, and it shuts down automatically when it detects CPU overheating.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers