VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

its weird how when id software releases their source code to games, it didn't have a bigger sales impact as people were buying their games a second time? Daikatana the worst game of 2000, was actually made playable through source ports, and yet isn't still raking revenue, unlike Deus Ex who never released their source code and yet is doing extremely well. I think by the time devs release the source code, its too late and desperate and fighting and dying on hills worth dying for. I think releasing the source code is what happens to games when they die, but its good for us here on vogons.

Reply 1 of 37, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Comparing one of the worst games with a true classic is not a good point to start with.

Also, source code is usually released when there are no expectancies of new sales.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Zup's last point still stands

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 37, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Deus Ex has public headers and the entire UnrealScript classes are all right there and easily modified.

You don't really need any more sourcecode than that.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 37, by snickersnack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a little disappointing, but it's to be expected. Common gamers don't care about things like source, preservation, EULAs, DRM, etc. They are more focused on driving their cars than tinkering with/ maintaining them.

Reply 8 of 37, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Deus Ex has public headers and the entire UnrealScript classes are all right there and easily modified.

You don't really need any more sourcecode than that.

Depending on your needs. If you want to port an old game to more modern systems, fix bugs etc. you need all source.

Reply 9 of 37, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've ran Deus Ex on Windows 10 Creators Update and absolutely everything worked.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 37, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

I've ran Deus Ex on Windows 10 Creators Update and absolutely everything worked.

I think you are missing the point. He was just giving an example of what you can do if you had the source. What DeusEx offers by having UnrealScript available is modding. That is different from C++/C code of the game (and engine) itself. That is what id offered for Doom, Quake, Quake2, Quake3, etc.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 11 of 37, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even with just public headers I've seen people do crazy things to Deus Ex without even having the full Unreal Engine 1 source specific to DX1.

So I don't think I am missing a point at all...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen more done with the public headers for UE1 games than anyone has done for Monolith's earlier Lithtech games (which had headers, gamecode source AND dedicated server source, and sometimes these are misled by "hey its open source game now make ports plz" despite not having CLIENT source) and that's considering Monolith released them almost as soon as the games launched...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 37, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can even subclass the GameEngine class in Unreal Engine 1 with the use of the public headers and fix bugs that way.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 14 of 37, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using just public headers is like only knowing the names of the settlements on a map, where they are perhaps, the resources they possibly hold, but not the roads between, any possible new routes that can be made/taken, or the tourment the resources took to get there...

And then there's the big 'badlands' on the other side of the swamp (client application for the engine) which is completly unknown yet dictates what supplies and resources, and where they are sent to in some unknown (to you) order...

Yes you can see what resources arrive at what settlement and interact/change/exhange for other resources of your choosing, and some will be 'common' knowledge (given by the headers/documentation)...

but ultimately the route it took to get there is unknown, how it changed along the way, and since it came from the badlands, for all intents and purposes, you have no idea where it came from...

if you had knowledge of the roads and the badlands however o.0 (source!).

Reply 15 of 37, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
twiz11 wrote:

its weird how when id software releases their source code to games, it didn't have a bigger sales impact as people were buying their games a second time?

What has the source code to do with buying a game a second time?
If anything, download platforms are a reason to buy a game a second time since you don't have to bother with your old media, and the game usually runs out of the box on up to date platforms.
It is the desire to play the game which leads to a purchase, no matter what engine or if the source code is available. Source code is a gift to the fan community to keep the game alive for a longer time.

On the other hand, who could prove that the game didn't sell to people who couldn't even play it without a 3rd-party source port? In the case of "Doom", this includes even Windows to a degree, since the official port is in a really bad shape and avoided by the majority of players for that reason. So releasing the source could help sales slightly, but that would be hard to prove, I guess.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 16 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marek wrote:

Source code is a gift to the fan community to keep the game alive for a longer time.

I believe for Carmack it was a way help keep the industry moving forward by baselining the technology leading up to the latest generation engines.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 37, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are we moving forward or backwards? Looking at Unity and the games that came out of it, its worse than the id tech 1 engine. If what Carmack said was true, then he would have open sourced Oculus Rift

Reply 18 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
twiz11 wrote:

Are we moving forward or backwards? Looking at Unity and the games that came out of it, its worse than the id tech 1 engine. If what Carmack said was true, then he would have open sourced Oculus Rift

Not always entirely his call. Id was supportive, Zenimax and Occulus not so much.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder