VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been asked to recommend a television soundbar, a subject I know nothing about (not even if there's a better known name for them than 'soundbar' - I mean a hardware add-on that improves the quality of the TV's audio output, and usually has it's own speakers). A friend of mine is losing her hearing, and is having difficulty hearing the speech in TV programs, so has been advised to get a TV soundbar, one that (the advice goes) can cut down on the base, and make the speech sound clearer and easier to hear.

So is it possible for a soundbar (or anything else) to make the speech in a TV program or movie easier to hear/understand? If so, what features should I look for in a suitable soundbar (aside from remote control, inbuilt speakers, and compatibility with a Samsung TV, both of which will be required). She also specified wanting it to have a graphics equaliser, and be a Samsung model, since then it would definitely be compatible with the TV (we're also in England, so any you can point to for sale in England, such as Argos or Currys/PC world, would be great*).

Thanks.

* Online might be fine too. I didn't ask if she'd prefer to buy it local or online, but if it does a good job of making the speech easier to hear, then I might get a soundbar for me too - my hearing isn't too bad, but many films or TV programs do tend to have instances of speech that's either mumbled or coincides with background noise, so I'd also appreciate a solution to that problem.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it have to be a soundbar as the form factor? I mean they are quite compact and can fit into the room quite so they don't stand out, in front of a flat screen TV perhaps.
I don't know if they have features such as bass cut or graphic equalizer, but what I do know that the ones that are in the normal consumer price level tend to have small speakers so they really don't reproduce much bass anyway, but are still better than the speakers integrated into the TV.

Before soundbars were invented, people just bought an amplifier and speakers. Nowadays those amplifiers are called AV Receivers (AVR), as they are capable of decoding multichannel bitstreams as well. They should have more settings for tuning the sound, and you can choose which amplifier you want and which speakers you want and how many speakers you want (while two speakers are good enough for a simple stereo setup, home theatre people may enjoy seven speakers and a subwoofer or even more).

If the soundbar/AVR and TV are both same brand, they usually can talk to each other quite well using single HDMI cable for feeding all audio from TV and for control, so you only need the TV remote to control the whole system, it's like an add-on you don't really need to care about much.

There are also good comfortable headphones available, both wired and wireless, it just depends if you want to use them or do other people need to hear stuff as well.

Reply 3 of 5, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was in the same predicament being hearing impaired myself. Ended up getting the Edifier R1700bt speakers which have blue tooth so you can use your phone and other devices. They look nice too and sound great, price was about 130.00 on the Edifier site when I got them back in May.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 4 of 5, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ok, frist thing. Why are they having a hard time hearing spech?
Not loud enough? If so a good sound bar can help that.
If its a problem with too much background noise a sound bar might not be a good idea unless you can try it out in person.

Here in the us most sound bards are junk, except the ones your tv sets on. Even then they armt that good.

Also how old is the person with the problem? If they're older they would probably want something simple.
Wireless headphones might not be the answer for more elderly person. If they get disconnected they may have a hard time fixing it.

What about a speaker setup with the speakers closer to where they sit when watching tv?

Reply 5 of 5, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure of the model, but my Samsung TV has options for sound mode including "clear voice", and generally, you'd use external speakers to get more base - may be worth going through the TV menus