VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, recently I had a spill which sheared the mounting post clean off my Tab key switch, forcing me to crack open my keyboard and replace the switch, so I went ahead and ordered some soldering equipment last night and it came in while I was at work, so, after a couple hours of sitting to relax after the day's perils, I went to work replacing the switch, and it went great! I now have a functioning tab key again. As for the iron, it is a Hakko FX-888D, which is a damn nice soldering iron. I also grabbed some 60/40 rosin-core solder and in addition a keycap puller. Also have some desoldering wick coming in, but for the time being, the solder sucker worked fine, if a little messy compared to desoldering wick. Anyways, here's a pic of the new switch next to the old one, and of the soldering iron in all its glory.

A potential project idea for some point in the future, is to convert this thing to MX Greens, effectively turning it from a light-handed tactile-bump keyboard to a heavy-handed clicky one comparable to a Model M.
--------------------------------------------------------
My soldering iron in all its glory.
DSC00077.jpg

New switch next to the old, broken one.
DSC00076.jpg

PC hardware: Ryzen 5 4500, 32GB RAM, 1TB SN 570 Linux drive, 500GB 970 EVO Plus Windows drive, 2TB 970 EVO Plus games drive, 1TB 870 EVO extra storage drive, RX 6600 GPU, EndeavourOS/Win10 dual-boot

Reply 2 of 16, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroMan wrote:

Jealous of your tool, mate. Did you get it off Amazon? It looks to me every time someone's buying a soldering iron - it is this exact model. Might be an average, but the crap available locally around me must be coming off the same bush-league Chinese plant for half a buck a piece.

I was a part of a soldering circle back in mid school years, though never really understood electronics well enough. Guess I will have to catch up after all, those 90s toys are not getting younger.

Wish you well in your soldering endeavors! The calming effect is certainly there, it's akin to knitting for dudes 😵.

Knitting for Dudes, I like that wording.

If the truth hurts, tough shit.

Reply 3 of 16, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, got it off Amazon. And ironincally, I only had a basic understanding of what I was getting into based on having seen it done enough times from guys the likes of the 8-bit Guy on his restoration vids.

PC hardware: Ryzen 5 4500, 32GB RAM, 1TB SN 570 Linux drive, 500GB 970 EVO Plus Windows drive, 2TB 970 EVO Plus games drive, 1TB 870 EVO extra storage drive, RX 6600 GPU, EndeavourOS/Win10 dual-boot

Reply 4 of 16, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've never used a soldering iron, but I'm not too shy to learn (been watching youtube vids). Is the hakko station good for "baby's first soldering iron"? Right now I only need to fix a few caps and barrel batteries, but I could see myself doing all kinds of projects that I never have been able to do before, so I might as well get some good gear. There's no sense buying something cheap that pisses me off and makes me not want to bother and possibly ruins some components.

A solder station, some solder, desoldering wick, anything else to look for? I have the reading glasses and headlamp already 😀

Reply 5 of 16, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd say it's a bit overkill for a first iron, actually.

Reply 7 of 16, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RetroGamingNovice wrote:

I'd say it's a bit overkill for a first iron, actually.

ElectroMan wrote:

Well, I would say you could go as little or as wide as you wish/need/can afford. You could grab a few old broken circuit boards and try and desolder some elements to get the taste of the process and familiarize yourself with instruments, so probably dumping a lot of money into equipment without prior experience might not be a good idea. Some people love it, some hate it, others are on the fence. Soldering station is not a requirement - could try it with a simple iron and decide for yourself.

Just try not to touch (or lick 😉 big capacitors without discharging them first, ask questions when in doubts and you'll be just fine.

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to pick up a cheap kit at a local store tomorrow and do exactly as you suggest - practice on scrap mainboards. If I outgrow the kit, I'll upgrade.

Reply 8 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hakkos are known to last, and good temperature control will help make soldering a lot easier, more consistent, and reliable. If you're uncomfortable buying an iron like the -888, you can always go for one of the -936 clones from China. They're not as good as the genuine thing, but much better than a non temperature controlled iron for a fraction of the cost of a real Hakko.

You can also see if an iron from Pace, Weller, or Hakko can be found used. As I mentioned, quality gear tends to last. Metcal also makes amazing equipment, but I don't recommend them for casual or hobby work due to the way each tip has a fixed temperature.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 16, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just my two cents for people starting out for self projects who are put off by expensive irons..

I used a basic Weller iron for more years than I care to count for little jobs like through hole resistors (surface mount is pretty easy too) and caps or things like solder connectors (DB25, etc) or reconnecting leads on speakers or mice wheels and other junk. Just your basic fire stick, no temperature control. I think I paid around $15 for the iron and maybe 10 for a couple extra tips. Zero complaints. Get yourself a wick and a desoldering tool/pump as well as a container of flux and you're good to go for learning. Practice on some scrap so you get used to it before you put it to something important.

Get some bread board and some LEDs or make a covox speech thing and you're well on your way..

I always make sure the tips are tinned before doing a project with it and have never had grief. Best tip I can ever pass along, tin your tips and keep them clean and they wont be junk after only a use or two. You can buy a $100 station and still waste the tips then turn around and leave a bad review. You don't NEED an expensive station to get started until this is something you want to do regularly or until you care for nice joints or have some tough SMD job, or if you just want to be sure it lasts for years.

I recently ordered a cheap "YiHua" 937D+ station from ebay for $25 or so that's supposedly temperature controlled and ESD safe, haven't gotten around to trying the bugger yet though 🤣 .

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 10 of 16, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mentioned up above regarding discharging capacitors. I just looked at a mainboard with caps rated at 6.3 volts. Do these required discharging? I watched videos of people discharging large capacitors with 75+ volts with quite the spark.

Reply 11 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The lower voltage caps probably won't be a risk. Remember, the energy in the cap is Ec=1/2 * C * V^2. Also, it's not voltage or current that kills, it's energy.

The safest way to discharge a cap is by discharging across it's poles with a resistor (say about 1k). I usually clip an alligator lead between the negative point and one lead of the cap, and then I contact a multimeter in current measurement between the other resistor lead and the positive pole.

Reply 12 of 16, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Eg. from my understanding, screwing with filter caps on tube amps without discharging, can and will kill you.

Reply 13 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
cliffclaven wrote:

I've never used a soldering iron, but I'm not too shy to learn (been watching youtube vids). Is the hakko station good for "baby's first soldering iron"? Right now I only need to fix a few caps and barrel batteries, but I could see myself doing all kinds of projects that I never have been able to do before, so I might as well get some good gear. There's no sense buying something cheap that pisses me off and makes me not want to bother and possibly ruins some components.

A solder station, some solder, desoldering wick, anything else to look for? I have the reading glasses and headlamp already 😀

You know I never used an iron or station my self ether, I always used a small soldering torch my self. I like snap on's myself. like this one
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IK3wkpOSdDk/maxresdefault.jpg

That being sad the best tip I can give you as a beginner, get really thin solder. To thick and it will just gob up all over the place.

gdjacobs wrote:

Also, it's not voltage or current that kills, it's energy.

This.
I use a screwdriver with a wire wrapped around the shaft covered in vinyl tape with the other end ran to ground to short out caps. Like the ones folks make to short the fly back in TV's.

Reply 14 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroGamingNovice wrote:

Eg. from my understanding, screwing with filter caps on tube amps without discharging, can and will kill you.

Tube amps run at a very high voltage, so they should rightly be discharged prior to work. The same with mains connected capacitors.

Reply 15 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tube amps run at a very high voltage, so they should rightly be discharged prior to work. The same with mains connected capacitors.

Usually yes, though there are also battery tubes like the 6К8П/EF97/6ES6.
I think there once was a schematic of a DIY head-phones amp that was based around a 5654 tube.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//