VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello everyone.

A friend of mine gifted me Carmageddon Max Damage on Steam which I have been enjoying in the last few days, until I noticed that I also got Carmageddon 1 & 2, as well as TDR2000 along with it.
I've played Carmageddon 1 & 2 to death, but never had the chance to play TDR2000 much when it was relevant (if it ever was 😜), so I decided to keep that and try it.

So, why not have a little giveaway for this community that has given me so much throughout the years? 😀 Rules are simple, just declare your interest and have at least a few posts with substance and a couple of months on the forum. Oh, you must also have a Steam account, as this is where the games will be gifted in.
Giveaway ends on October 28, so be sure to post 😀.

Reply 3 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't want them, thanks, as I already have them (the GOG versions), but I wanted to post and say that Carmaggedon 1 (plus the Splat Pack) is a fantastic game. People who never played them but got offended anyway always seemed to think that we played them just because we enjoyed running over pedestrians in the game, but the truth was, Carmageddon gave you near total freedom in the game to drive where you wanted. You we no longer limited to just the roads or preset routes, instead you could drive anywhere you wanted, in any direction (within the level's limits), you could explore as far off the beaten track as you liked, and you could also ram the opposition's cars. In fact, destroying the opponents' vehicles was a viable, and very enjoyable, alternative to wining the races, and as far as I can remember, I never completed, let alone won, a single race in the game, I always wrecked the opponents' cars instead to win the race.

Carmageddon 2 is good, but I thought it was a real step backwards in some ways. I bought C1 and the Splat Pack (a later expansion pack), and C2 back in the day, and bought them both again from GOG as GOG's versions run no problem on Windows 7 64 bit. I never bought Carmageddon 3, as my mate had it and I didn't like it. Last year or so I bought Carmageddon: Max Damage, which I think is great, despite it's mediocre reviews, most of which criticised the game for adding little to the now-twenty year old formulae of the original game, which puzzles me as when you play a Carmageddon game you play if for Carmageddon-style gameplay, not because you want a different game. Carmageddon means drive where you like, run over pedestrians to gain extra time, feel free to perform insane optional stunts, get bonus points for the wreckage and carnage you cause, and if you don't fancy winning a race just destroy your opponents instead. It's not meant to be clever or realistic or innovative or anything. Just a game where you can go mad and drive like a lunatic and not only do you not get penalised for it, you actually gets points or other rewards for it. It's fun, and has nothing to do with reality at all. Yet when the original came out twenty years ago, newspapers said it would corrupt the young drivers (seriously, it was even mentioned in the Houses of Parliment). You know, like how people say Doom is responsible for Columbine, Sandy Hook, that cretin who thought he was the Joker and killed lots of people in a cinema, that cretin in Vegas who killed sixty people, etc, instead of thinking "Hang on a minute, in Great Britain, they play the same very violent games as in America, but they don't have mass shootings there. Why are there mass shootings in the USA, where guns are freely available, but not in the UK, where guns are mostly illegal?".

BTW, there's a fan-made program called The Meld Pack, that lets you play all of the Carmageddon 1 and the Splat Pack levels in one game, which is great. Just google for

the meld pack

as I don't know which site I downloaded it from (there seem to be different versions, I don't know which version I used, so I don't want to recommend one).