VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a system where I am still rebuilding a Windows 10 filesystem after a data loss.

Backups included:
- 1. A data backup made back in August. Due to the nature of the backup software - Carbonite cloud storage - not all files were saved.
- 2. Data recovery off the failed drive - all files were saved, with the original timestamps - but some may be corrupt. Drive had been accidentally formatted by the user.
- 3. A data drive snailmailed from the cloud storage provider. Due to the nature of the backup software - Carbonite cloud storage - not all files were saved. The file and folder timestamps were all changed by the cloud storage provider - accidentally? - to the day of the restore to the data drive.

I first received 3. and restored it into place, then I copied 2. on top of it, planning on waiting for 1. to fully download and restore.

So now I have fully received 1.

So I think what my plan is, is to overwrite my data restore by moving files from 1. in every situation where the file checksums match source to destination. Newer, or older, that should restore the original timestamps, which is desirable.

Anything left in 1. will then be situations where the checksums now differ, bearing further investigation. If the checksums differ and the file timestamp is significantly newer on the destination, then it's likely that file has since been edited. If not, further investigation.

The problem is, how to do this on this Windows 10 box. I thought robocopy might do the trick, but robocopy seems only to significantly follow timestamps, not checksums.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to proceed?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1 of 6, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

How many files are we dealing with?
I done light file recovery and always done it by hand. But for a full drive with an OS that would be alot of work.

Are you dealing with disk images or a restore image to a drive or have everything extracted to a folder?

Reply 2 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Potentially, thousands of files.

Not dealing with disk images, everything is extracted to a folder.

Like I said, I'm mainly concerned with recursively overwriting the destination with files from the source if and only if the file checksum matches for every file that is pathed and named identically, and removing those files from the source.

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

So basically you only want to replace files that match up with the checksum?

at the moment, yes. I know that doesn't make much sense, but it will fix their timestamps.

Alternatively, could just /touch/ the timestamps of those whose checksums match to make the timestamps match too, but I thought overwriting the files would involve less scripting.

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:

Acronis Disk manager?

In the future, this user will be using disk imaging software.

Currently, he backs up folders to external HDDs and to the cloud. Acronis will not help reconstruct things.

Stiletto