VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As the title states, a friend has sourced some original Socket 1 / 486 and Socket 7 / 586 CPU trays. I believe they hold 10 CPUs each. I don't know if they are common elsewhere, but they are all but impossible to find here in Australia.

I'm wondering if people would be interested in a potential 3D model of it, so they could 3D print their own? Worth going through the effort or not?

Reply 1 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually haven't seen them in a while. I would do it. I think you need to use an ESD safe plastic, I don't know if that will work in 3d printers.

Cant hurt to have the designs ready though!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Every now and then I think it would be nice to have a tray to store my CPU's Wouldn't spend more then $10 though.
If it was something I could do for free then I'd definitely do it! (I don't have a 3d printer though) but can imagine others with larger collections would like this even more

Reply 4 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've tried several solutions in the past, but the plastic standard CPU trays are the best imo 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 7, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well guess there's no reason not to then.

Hopefully the guy packed them safely and they don't arrive damaged.

I'll model them up when I get my hands on them!

Reply 6 of 7, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
x0zm_ wrote:

Well guess there's no reason not to then.

Hopefully the guy packed them safely and they don't arrive damaged.

I'll model them up when I get my hands on them!

Very good choice deciding to 3D model replicas of those trays. I have a 3D printer and wouldn't mind printing a CPU tray for the two spare 1.95" CPUs I have and for just in case I find 8 more. A replica of your S7/586 tray is just what I'm thinking of.

Reply 7 of 7, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like a great idea. 😀
I'm planning to design my own CPU trays for different sockets and print them once I have the 3D printer. I will be nice to have some reference to look at so I know where to start.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware