I'm a daddy...

Topic actions

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey all,

Having been absent from Vogons for the last few months with no tangible updates regarding projects... I thought i'd write and share some news. I am the very proud father of my new baby daughter... born in the early hours of the 27th of October. At only 9 days old, she already has more hair on her head than her daddy!

9f93ac647905203.jpg fbb51a647905933.jpg

Though fear not... even with other commitments, I will still continue the electronics hobby providing updates here on Vogons, and possibly even include the little one in future projects. It will be a fine day when she receives her first 386!

Last edited by 386_junkie on 2017-11-05, 13:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 65, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Congrats! Here's to a long life and good health.

Maybe play her OPL3 MIDI music when putting her to bed.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 3 of 65, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congratulations to you and your family! You will soon become expert at rocking your bub in one arm, and browsing vogons/forums/eBay with the other 😉

Reply 4 of 65, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Hear hear!

oeuvre wrote:

Great idea. I used to play certain MIDI songs via Cubic Player at one point to put my son to sleep. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 65, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats!

oeuvre wrote:

When she turns 20 this stuff will be half a century old. Maybe she'll take some 8088 appreciation class in her ultra futuristic college curriculum about dinosaur hardware used by primitive cave men born in the 20th century 😎

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 7 of 65, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Congratulations, sir! Parenting is a wild ride, but SO worth it! 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 65, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Congrats!

But I can't say I envy you. Have fun being woken up late at night to crying and dirty diapers. 😲 But that only temporarily (hopefully) after that having a child can be a grate thing.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-11-06, 01:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 65, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Congratulations, sir! Parenting is a wild ride, but SO worth it! 😀

+1 it is wild! I didn’t know fear until I had kids to worry about, but then I didn’t know real happiness until they came along either.

Congrats to you and your partner.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11 of 65, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congratulations! :)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 65, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

bit late but congratulations 😀

dr_st wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Great idea. I used to play certain MIDI songs via Cubic Player at one point to put my son to sleep. 😀

oh good its not just me, I've been playing the Doom soundtrack round bedtime for my 1 year old recently.

I've already got plans to introduce him to some dos gaming when hes older, way I figure it especially dos games but even something like doom is pretty tame so self censored vs modern realistic games.

Reply 16 of 65, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

I've already got plans to introduce him to some dos gaming when hes older, way I figure it especially dos games but even something like doom is pretty tame so self censored vs modern realistic games.

It’s all relative I guess - DOOM was controversialy graphic when it came out but these days does seem tame. I’ve been thinking about this lately because I recently let my 9 year old start playing Skyrim, which again feels very tame to me after playing The Witcher 3! It’s only the violence that concerns me - she’s a bright kids so can handle the plot / dialog.

Time will tell I guess, but she hasn’t joined a satanic cult yet 😀

Reply 18 of 65, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Congratulations!! Being a father is a very rewarding and joyful experience. I'm currently building my soon to be 3 year old a socket A system to play games from my youth both educational and non educational.

Reply 19 of 65, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I'm always baffled by other people's need to show off their crotch goblins.

Have one, experience your world being transformed and your perspective shifting and being challenged like never before, then you'll get it.