VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I was transfering some data from a USB stick (64GB Spaceloop, by CnMemory, it says on the outside), and everything worked fine. I reset the laptop after installing VolMouse (a great program to control the volume via the mouse wheel - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/volumouse.html), and when the laptop booted I discovered that the USB stick wouldn't let me delete any files from it. Nor would it allow rename, it just acts like it's purely read only.

I tried it in my desktop PC, which also saw it as totally read only. And on my Android tablet, using a program called Explorer, it does seem to allow deleting and renaming on the USB stick, but not really, as if I then put the USB stick back into my desktop, or unplug it from the tablet (after performing seemingly successful renames or deletes) and put it back into the table, then it turns out that nothing has been deleted or renamed. And the data on the USB stick is not corrupted, it has video files on it that still play, and archive files that are still perfect (according to 7zip's brilliant batch Test function).

Fair enough, the stick is probably just dying, they're cheap enough to replace so I'm not too bothered. But two things do bother me:

1) Why does the Android program show the rename or delete operations as being successful? If I use it to rename a folder, then the folder shows as being renamed, and when I select it (still on Explorer, in the tablet, of course) then I can open the folder (via it's new name) and it goes into the folder, despite the folder's name NOT being the new name (i.e. if I rename 'ebooks' to '2' then Explorer shows it as being named '2', and no folder named 'ebooks' is listed any more, and I can now go into the folder 'ebooks', even though no such folder really exists, since it's still called 'ebooks'). Not a major problem, but it's a stupid flaw, either in Android, the tablet, or most like, in Explorer.

2) Much more annoying is that it turns out that Windows has the ability, apparently, to make a USB stick (and USB drive, I assume?) write-only. I didn't know that, nor did anyone I asked. If Windows has this ability, then (a) why not publicise it, and (b) why not put a ****ing option on the control panel or somewhere to turn it on and off? I'm using Windows 7 on my laptop and desktop, so maybe a user friendly option does exist in later versions of Windows, but if so then no one mentions it on the web pages I've searched.

Instead, I only found out about this 'feature' when googling on the off chance that this wasn't simply a case of my USB stick's hardware failing. Turns out, Windows causing a USB stick to become read-only isn't too uncommon (though to be fair, it's never happened to me before), and there are lots of users with the problems, though no doubt many of them actually have failing USB sticks instead. There are three sorts of solutions that I could find:

1) Edit the Windows registry (though I don't see how this could affect something that must be stored on the USB stick, I mean, since when I plug the USB stick into the laptop/desktop/Android table they all treat it like it's read only, so surely the read only flag is on the USB stick itself?)

2) Use a Windows based command line program called "Diskpart"

3) Download and use various third party programs that claim to make the USB write-able again.

None of the above worked for me, and if the USB stick is indeed physically failing than OK. But I'd like to be able to confirm that it is a genuine hardware fault, and not that Windows has somehow caused a working USB stick to be flagged as read only. I didn't even know that a USB stick did have a "Treat this drive as if it's read only" flag, so does anyone know of any program that will scan a USB stick and tell you the status of such a flag, and preferably also allow you to change the status of the flag? And if this feature does exist, when why doesn't Microsoft have it somewhere in Windows Control Pane?

And if, like me, you didn't know it was possible to set a USB stick to read only, then simply google it, and you'll find lots of people who suddenly found their USB stick acting like this, many of whom were able to fix it with the methods mentioned above.

Note: Of course I'm not talking about files or folders being set to Read Only, I'm familiar with that, I mean the whole USB stick not allowing delete, or rename, or new files being copied to it, and when you write click on a file, you don't even get the RENAME or DELETE options in the list of options. It's a standard 64GB USB stick, normal USB connector, NTFS format, a few years old. I've been using various USB sticks for years, both the laptop and desktop are Windows 7, I've tried other USB sticks in them since and I can rename, delete, and put new files on them no problem, but this one USB stick is still acting like it's read only.

Edit: The USB stick is a 64GB Spaceloop, by CnMemory, not by ChMemory (I initially put a 'h' instead of an 'n', sorry)

Last edited by Kerr Avon on 2017-11-08, 16:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, when in Windows I go to the command line (via Run As Administrator), and type:

DISKPART

then LIST DISK

then I select the USB stick via SELECT DISK, then when I enter ATTRIBUTES DISK, it says:

Current Read-Only State: Yes
Read-Only: No
Boot Disk: No
Pagefile Disk: No
Hibernation File Disk: No
Crashdump Disk: No
Clustered Disk: No

Then when I type:

ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY

it says attributes cleared successfully

but then when I type:

ATTRIBUTES DISK

then it gives the same summary as before:

Current Read-Only State: Yes
Read-Only: No
Boot Disk: No
Pagefile Disk: No
Hibernation File Disk: No
Crashdump Disk: No
Clustered Disk: No

So what's the difference between "Current Read-Only State" and "Read-Only" in the above summary? And could the fact that "Current Read-Only State" is set to yes be the reason why the stick isn't writable? How do I change "Current Read-Only State", since I can't find a way to do it in DISKPART?

Reply 3 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might be in "saving you from yourself" mode if it's run out of blocks to remap.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 16, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Check the S.M.A.R.T. statistics?

How can I do that, please? I normally use CrystalDIskInfo, but it's not seeing the USB stick, even though Windows is (and Windows reads the files on the USB stick).

Anyway, I've been unable to format the USB stick, so I'm going to try to update the firmware if I can find the correct version, as maybe that will make it write-able again.

The stick is one of these (the silver 64GB one, a Spaceloop, by CnMemory)

http://www.cnmemory.de/en/spaceloop-usb-20

but the website is terrible, with no downloads, and the question "My USB stick is suddenly write-protected, what can I do?" in the FAQ is answered with "Please contact our technical support in this case", which isn't what I'd call helpful. I've e-mailed them, but Gmail says the email has failed with an "Address not found" error. And according to the site "As you can read in the press, our company is currently in preliminary insolvency proceedings.", so I doubt their technical department will be large, if they even still exist.

So if anyone can tell me which firmware to try, or anything else that might fix the USB then I'll give it a go.

According to Flash Drive Information Extractor the stick's details are:

Volume: P:
Controller: Alcor AU6990AN/AU6987AN/SC708AN
Possible Memory Chip(s):
Hynix H2DTEG8V01MYR
Memory Type: MLC
Flash ID: 50504E01 0006
Flash CE: 2
Flash Channels: Single
Chip Code: 0xCA07
Chip F/W: 8799
Group: 90
VID: 058F
PID: 6387
Manufacturer: Generic
Product: Mass Storage
Query Vendor ID: Generic
Query Product ID: Flash Disk
Query Product Revision: 8.07
Physical Disk Capacity: 64156073984 Bytes
Windows Disk Capacity: 64152924160 Bytes
Internal Tags: AYWR-YY3J
File System: NTFS
Relative Offset: 1030937860 KB
USB Version: 2.00
Declared Power: 200 mA
ContMeas ID: D979-01-00
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 x64 Build 7601
------------------------------------
http://www.antspec.com/usbflashinfo/
Program Version: 8.9.0.605

According to ChipGenius:

Description: [P:]USB Mass Storage Device(Generic Flash Disk)
Device Type: Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 2.00
Current Speed: High Speed
Max Current: 200mA

USB Device ID: VID = 058F PID = 6387
Serial Number: 68F171C1

Device Vendor: Generic
Device Name: Mass Storage
Device Revision: 0107

Manufacturer: Generic
Product Model: Flash Disk
Product Revision: 8.07

Controller Vendor: Alcor Micro
Controller Part-Number: SC708AN/AU6987AN [CA07] - F/W 8799
Flash ID code: 50504E01 - 2CE/Single Channel H2DTDG8V01MYR [MLC-8K]

Tools on web: http://dl.mydigit.net/special/up/alcor.html

Possible Flash Part-Number
----------------------------
[2CE]H2DTEG8V01MYR(26nm) x 1 pcs/Channel x 1 Channel
[2CE]H2DTDG8V01MYR(26nm) x 1 pcs/Channel x 1 Channel

Flash ID mapping table
----------------------------
[Channel 0] [Channel 1]
50504E010006 --------
50504E010006 --------
-------- --------
-------- --------
-------- --------
-------- --------
-------- --------
-------- --------

According to ChipEasy:

Logical drive : P:\ Capacity: 59.7G
Device ID : VID = 058F PID = 6387
Device SN : 68F171C1
Device version : 8.07

Device vendor : Generic
Device model : Flash Disk
Protocol : USB2.0
Max power : 200mA

Partition type : NTFS Device active : OK
Aligned state : 1024 KB, Have been Aligned

Controller : Chipsbank
Controller model: CBMeneric
FW Date : Flas.Di.

Tools : http://www.upan.cc/tools/mass/UMPTool/
OS Version : Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
Update Status : The current version is the latest version!

Reply 5 of 16, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Download hdtune_255.exe and run an Error Scan (do not checkmark "Quick scan") on your flash drive. If you get even one red block, replace the drive; it will mean the NAND flash is degrading.

BitWrangler wrote:

It might be in "saving you from yourself" mode if it's run out of blocks to remap.

^This is also my theory.

Reply 7 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The worst thing about this happening to you, is that now you'll get into continual arguments about the reliability of flash memory.

Fanboi be like: "Flash rules all, empires will rise and fall, eons pass and you'll still have your data, not like magnetic media that randomly explodes every 2 months."
You be like: "Actually I had a USB stick fail after only using it a year or two."
Fanboi be like: "Liar, no you didn't."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote:
The worst thing about this happening to you, is that now you'll get into continual arguments about the reliability of flash memo […]
Show full quote

The worst thing about this happening to you, is that now you'll get into continual arguments about the reliability of flash memory.

Fanboi be like: "Flash rules all, empires will rise and fall, eons pass and you'll still have your data, not like magnetic media that randomly explodes every 2 months."
You be like: "Actually I had a USB stick fail after only using it a year or two."
Fanboi be like: "Liar, no you didn't."

USB sticks / SD cards are cheap disposable trash. They fail frequently. SSDs on the other hand are much more reliable.

Calling flash media unreliable on basis of your USB sticks failing is like calling magnetic media unreliable because you lost some data on a floppy disk.

Reply 9 of 16, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I typically use Linux to check S.M.A.R.T. statistics because nearly every Windows utility fails in stupid ways.

Hell even my motherboard's BIOS will yell at me if it detects a attached drive (USB or SATA doesn't matter) that reports a threshold exceeded.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 16, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To date I've yet to come across a single USB flash drive that supports SMART, including the two different ADATA USB 3.0 sticks (UV128 32GB & S102 Pro 16GB) I've recently bought. Maybe the fancy new SSD-based expensive ones support SMART, but the OP's drive looks like a run-of-the-mill typical one.

Reply 11 of 16, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks everyone for the advice. But it turns out that the USB stick is faulty. I know this because a couple of hours back on a whim I put the USB stick in my desktop, and tried to delete a file, and it worked! So to test it, I tried to copy a folder full of comics, containing nearly 1,700 folders over, and the USB accepted and stored the files until it threw up a "source disc is write-protected" error when partway through the files in the second folder. Now it won't delete anything. And of I course tried the other two USB sticks to make sure it wasn't the PC at fault, and they still work as they should.

So case closed. I'll call it a day, and bin the might-as-well-be-dead stick. Thanks again for all the help.

Reply 12 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A related question:

I've had some SD cards that died in the same manner (going into read only mode). In one case, it contained a Raspbian OS with some personal data.

What would be the best method to destroy data in those read only media?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 13 of 16, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kill it with fire or just chop it into pieces? Joking aside, physical damage of some sorts comes to mind 😈

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 14 of 16, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psychz wrote:

Kill it with fire or just chop it into pieces? Joking aside, physical damage of some sorts comes to mind 😈

Or a very strong magnet (keep it away from your mobile phone, any other data carriers, and pacemakers and the like).

Reply 15 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would have to be strong enough to cause metal to come flying from the other side of the room and effect mechanical damage, because otherwise won't do crap to flash RAM.

Reply 16 of 16, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Or a very strong magnet (keep it away from your mobile phone, any other data carriers, and pacemakers and the like).

Yeah magnet won't do anything to it. And neither to your mobile phone. Pacemakers I do not know.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/