VOGONS

Common searches

Windows Installer

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by wolarts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, first post here so please go easy on me. I am trying to install Daemon Tools 3.47 in Windows 98 Second Edition, but when I open the installer and click next to proceed it asks for me to install a newer version of the windows installer. This wouldn't be a problem if the download from Microsoft was still up.

I have been looking around Google for a while now and have come up with nothing, maybe I am just blind or it actually has just vanished off the internet.

I am hoping one of the many people on here have a copy of the Windows Installer for Windows 98, the exact filename it seems to be looking for is "instmsia.exe".

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by Maleckii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you can get Windows Installer 2.0 from here: http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Installer-Wi … 4-10049515.html

But I'm not sure if you need a newer verison. Windows Installer 3.1 was released with XP SP1, but still had backported versions. The 2.0 linked above was released with Windows 2000, with a backported redistributable.

Reply 4 of 4, by wolarts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the late response, thanks abkula65! Had I known Wayback Machine could work for downloads I would have tried that a lot sooner. Downloaded and installed it perfectly, now Daemon Tools installed with no problem. Thank you!