VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi folks,

I know enough about Windows Internet Connection sharing to futz my way through setting it up, on older windows versions I even used it over laplink cables which was handy at times, not sure if W7 does that. Anyway, main point of question, is it any more secure going through ICS on an updated W7 box, with say a win98 or XP machine than it would be hooking it direct to the router?

I am not sure if you just get a relatively straight through pipe, or it gets protected a bit by w7s port filtering and firewall, whatever security settings are there.

Thoughts?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 3, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

on 7 open Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections and right click on the NIC you want to bridge and click bridge connections. You may need a crossover cable.

As for security its just like a switch, you get nothing, if not worse security from having a 9x box attached to the win7 system. However there is Firewall/intrusion detection software out there that may help.

Reply 2 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, thanks.

Reason I was wondering is because in XP ICS info, MS randomly throw in a link to page describing how to turn off XPs firewall, without explanation i.e. turn it off for it to work at all, or turn it off it's blocking stuff you want to do on other system, or what. So got me wondering whether host does anything.

All the info I can thus far find about how it works is "It's NAT" well yah, but what flavor with what capabilities???

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Out of the box I would like to assume that it dose nothing for security, regardless of what it dose.
I never messed with ICS on windows in a secure environment so I don't know what all gets pass through without filtering. But on home systems I never noticed anything. I manly use it to transfer files between systems and share printers.

But I am willing to bet that blocked domains/IP will not get through to the client system.