VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 59, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dystopia wrote:

So what did you do to get X-Wing Alliance working? That game has been giving me no end of trouble.

If I remember correctly, I think you just run XWINGALLIANCE.EXE rather than Alliance.EXE. Let me know if that works.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 21 of 59, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
squiggly wrote:

I used to get a message at the top of this sheet describing the latest change...which was really useful to know what games had recently been added or updated. I don't see it anymore...do you know why?

Right now it says "Last edit was 4 days ago". Is that what you mean? You might have to be logged into a Google account to see that since it is no longer a public editable sheet.

I am logged in, and I definitely don't see that "last edited" message. I guess turning off the public edit must also prevent others seeing that message and existing edits.

Reply 22 of 59, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been doing the same thing myself lately, quite a few games I never picked up while they were new so trying them from Gog now with mixed results

WORKING:
SWAT 4: Gold Edition
setup_swat4_gold_2.0.0.4.exe
Single player and Local multiplayer work perfectly

Anno 1602 A.D.
setup_anno_1602_2.0.0.6.exe
Single player working (Dont change resolution during gameplay though, use the config.exe before playing)
Mulitplayer untested

Lords of the Realm: Royal Edition
setup_lords_of_the_realm_cd_2.1.0.7.exe
setup_lords_of_the_realm2_2.1.0.32.exe
Seems to work perfectly

Master of Orion II
setup_master_of_orion2_2.1.0.18.exe
Seems to work perfectly

Jagged Alliance 2
setup_jagged_alliance_2_1.12_(17794).exe
Work perfectly but you need to move the "smackw32.dll" from "/__support/add" folder to the main

Final Liberation: Warhammer® Epic 40,000
setup_wh40k_final_liberation_2.0.0.4.exe
There will be a pop up asking you to run setup each time starting, but the Singleplayer works just fine
Multiplayer untested

SEMI-FUNCTIONAL:
Diablo
setup_diablo_1.09_(27873).exe
Single player working - but you need to move the "Diabdat.mpq" from the main folder to the "/dx" folder and set up a shortcut to the Diablo.exe from the "/dx" folder to play
Trying to start multiplayer breaks the game

PROBLEMS:
Theme hospital
setup_theme_hospital_1.0.0.4.exe
setup_theme_hospital_2.1.0.8.exe
Complains it cant find a CD, even if a TH CD is present.

System Shock 2
setup_system_shock_2_2.47_nd_(22087).exe
Doesn't extract files as expected.

Outcast
setup_outcast_18970_(19502).exe

Earth 2140 Trilogy
setup_earth_2140_1.0_(19593).exe

Reply 23 of 59, by Kami27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys, after reading the list of working games I happened to test Morrowind which is in the list of working games and unfortunately I can't make it work. I have the GoG version and like clueless1 I just did a copy/paste of the main directory.

I tried it by clicking directly on the Morrowind.exe and the Morrowind Launcher.exe but it didn't open and tell that the MSVCP60.DLL was missing. I googled that a bit but only found topics about making the game run on linux with Wine. Please someone could help in that case ? Thanks

PS:
The platform used was:
Abit BE6-II
Pentium III 800 mhz fsb 133 (I know it's weak for Morrowind but I just want to test it for fun)
256MB RAM PC133 CL2
Geforce256 DDR 32MB (same thing as the CPU, I know it's weak for the game)
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Win 98SE vanilla, without any unofficial service pack
I can upgrade these components but just as a form of experiment I wanted to do it on this "ultimate" 1999 PC. 😀

Reply 24 of 59, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to install the Visual C++ runtime that the game requires. It's not a GOG issue. Windows 98 won't have it by default.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 59, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I must've already had Visual C++ runtime installed on my system for another reason when I tried Morrowind then, because I don't remember having any issues the first time I tried the game.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 26 of 59, by Kami27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@DosFreak <= Thanks dude, I never thought it would be that easy to fix :p EDIT: I just DL the file only and it worked like a charm 😁

@ clueless1 <= No problem, now you can add this little precision to your first post 😀

BTW I tested Freespace 2 (GoG version, I tested it with the same rig I mentioned and with a Voodoo 2 SLI that I added later inside the pc) with the solution vvbee provided :

vvbee wrote:

For freespace 2 I think you just need to merge two registry trees. In your typical local_machine/software or wherever I think there was (presumably after having attempted to run the game once) one called freespace2 and one called free or so, just put the stuff from free in freespace2 or vice versa but have the main thing be called freespace2 or whatever it was.

but instead of merging the two registries I just deleted the Freespace2 one (it has a subfolder named "Version" IIRC). I renamed the one that was named "Free" in "FreeSpace2" (no spaces indeed). Then, I launched the game after configuring (because you can't run it on software mode like in Freespace 1) and it worked flawlessly 😁

Reply 27 of 59, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote on 2017-11-22, 20:12:
I've been working on this for awhile and have compiled a small list of games that I'll put here. If there's enough interest, I' […]
Show full quote

I've been working on this for awhile and have compiled a small list of games that I'll put here. If there's enough interest, I'll keep this list updated in the OP especially if others add to the thread.

I'm limiting this list to Win9x/ME native games. DOS games that use DOSBox or ScummVM should go in Phil's thread here:
Digital DOS games (GOG, Steam...) Retro PC Compatibility Sheet: We need your input!

What I'm doing is just installing GOG.com games on a modern system, then copy-pasting the installed game folder to a Win9x/ME machine and trying to run. I'm not interested in time-consuming or challenging fixes that require muss and fuss. At most, I will edit some configuration files to change game paths, delete dgvoodoo and its .DLLs, or something equally simple. I know Phil has a video tutorial that involves some more complicated steps, but that's more than I'm interested in doing. 😊 I'm more interested in a list of games that "just work" than trying to fix games that don't "just work". With that said, here's my list of working games so far:

Abe's Oddysee
Arcanum
Baldur's Gate I and II
Blood 2 (mrewhite)
Deus Ex
Fallout 1 and 2
Freespace
Icewind Dale
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (JayCeeBee64)
Lands of Lore 3
MDK
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Morrowind (edit: requires Visual C++ Runtime, which I unknowingly already had installed)
Pharaoh Gold
Planescape: Torment
Quake 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Return to Krondor
Syberia
Undying
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament
Unreal 2
Wizardry 8
X-Wing Alliance

Games that I couldn't get fully working:
Descent 3
Freespace 2
Might and Magic 6-8
MotoRacer
SimCity 4
System Shock 2
Thief 1-3
Ultima IX

If you want to contribute or correct one of my entries, just reply to the thread.

Interesting. I can't get Arcanum to work (The ARCANUM.EXE file is linked to missing export DDRAW.DLL:CompleteCreateSystemSurface) on Win98.

Fallout 1 & 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Unreal Gold and Morrowind worked without any issues. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain gave me weird glitches on the opening video and semi-transparent copies of my cursor on the menu. Trying the GL wrapper atm.

System: Windows 98SE, DirectX 9.0c, Athlon XP 1700+, 512Mb RAM, GeForce FX 5500, Creative Audigy 2.

Compaq Deskpro 2000/P2 300MHz/384Mb SDRAM/ESS ES1868F/Aureal Vortex 2
Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2
Asus P5Q Pro/Core2 Quad Q9400/2Gb DDR2/GeForce 8800GT/Creative X-Fi

Reply 28 of 59, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote on 2017-11-24, 19:41:

Blood 2 works by just dragging and dropping.

Blood2 has issues in win2k (music does not work) but here it's about win9x...
To bad GOG mostly messes with the files ...so I don't buy meesed up games anymore.... I buy the original cd-version and load the cracks.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 29 of 59, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
songoffall wrote on 2023-11-03, 14:34:

Interesting. I can't get Arcanum to work (The ARCANUM.EXE file is linked to missing export DDRAW.DLL:CompleteCreateSystemSurface) on Win98.

Check if there is a DDRAW.DLL file in the game directory and delete it. DLLs are hidden by default in Windows 98 and this can be changed in the Folder Options.

GOG tend to implement wrappers and patches to make these games to work with modern systems whenever possible.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 30 of 59, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-11-03, 16:14:
songoffall wrote on 2023-11-03, 14:34:

Check if there is a DDRAW.DLL file in the game directory and delete it. DLLs are hidden by default in Windows 98 and this can be changed in the Folder Options.

GOG tend to implement wrappers and patches to make these games to work with modern systems whenever possible.

That was my first guess too - I renamed it to ddraw.dll.bak, but it didn't do anything.

Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2

Reply 31 of 59, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if they use the UAP or not and I can't remember if the UAP works on 9x or not.You can try downloading it and messing around if you don't have the original ver of the game.
You can also try KernelEX.

If you do have the original ver of the game or someone else does then a windiff comparison between the two would be interesting.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 32 of 59, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to confirm that OGL wrapper for Blood Omen: Legacy of Rain did nothing to fix the game. Technically, the game runs, but the videos are a mess of glitches and the menus are off, and the game is... weird. Not in the way it's supposed to be, though.

Testing next:

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 (haters gonna hate)
Thief: Gold
Quake II (original)
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
Deus Ex GOTY
Baldur's Gate 2
Thief 2

Reply 33 of 59, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2023-11-03, 17:26:

I don't know if they use the UAP or not and I can't remember if the UAP works on 9x or not.You can try downloading it and messing around if you don't have the original ver of the game.
You can also try KernelEX.

If you do have the original ver of the game or someone else does then a windiff comparison between the two would be interesting.

KernelEX works, but you have to right-click the setup executables and set the specific mode to WinXP SP2.

Reply 34 of 59, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Progress so far:
Deus Ex GOTY- Success
Quake 2 - Success
Thief Gold - Failure - requires MSVCR90.DLL, which is part of Visual C++ 2008 Redist. The latest version of VC++ redist compatible with W98 is 2005. But, as far as I know, 2008 has been unofficially back ported, so will need to check that later.

Reply 35 of 59, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another update:
Planescape: Torment - Success
Thief 2 - Failure. Same as Thief Gold
Blood Omen 2 - Success
Baldur's Gate - Success
Baldur's Gate 2 - Success

To test further:
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption

Reply 36 of 59, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
songoffall wrote on 2023-11-04, 05:58:

The first two Thief games come with fan-made patches integrated on GOG and Steam. These were meant to fix some compatibility issues on modern systems and likely won't work correctly on actual retro hardware.

For all the good that GOG does, I really wish they would make these fan-made patches and other unofficial fixes into an optional download, separate from the main game. Or at least give people the means to opt-out of those at install time.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 37 of 59, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-04, 07:46:
songoffall wrote on 2023-11-04, 05:58:

The first two Thief games come with fan-made patches integrated on GOG and Steam. These were meant to fix some compatibility issues on modern systems and likely won't work correctly on period-correct hardware.

For all the good that GOG does, I really wish they would make these fan-made patches and other unofficial fixes into an optional download, separate from the main game. Or at least give people the means to opt-out of those at install time.

Yeah. I wish they at least added an original (minus DRM) download option. Maybe we can petition them to do it, on behalf of the retrocomputing community?

Reply 39 of 59, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-11-04, 08:26:

Has someone ever got a way to play POD D3D with music but without the CD then let me know.

Have you tried this?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filede … n&id=1321610461