VOGONS

Common searches

Is WiFi harmful?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 23 of 52, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, the new 5G works the same way. I know a guy that has covered all the walls on the inside of his house with aluminum foil because a 5g antenna got put up 1/2 a block away. Poor guy is a beer short of a 6-pack. I tried to explain the difference between 5g and ionizing radiation, but it was like explaining a math problem to a monkey. Besides, you can't logic someone out of a problem they didn't logic themselves into. He's a nice guy that wouldn't hesitate to give you the shirt off his back, but goddamn is he stupid.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 25 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

Also, the new 5G works the same way. I know a guy that has covered all the walls on the inside of his house with aluminum foil because a 5g antenna got put up 1/2 a block away.

I wonder, if it wouldn't be saver if someones home is straight below such an antenna plant instead of the side of it (because of the angle).
Also, I don't know if aluminium foil is a good idea here. He essentially creates a Faraday cage were no radio signals can go into, but also can't excape. If he uses WiFi or a mobile phone inside, the radio waves bounce back and forth, akin to a mirror who reflects beams of light.
To make things worse, mobile phones tend to increase their power out if they have bad reception.
That beeing said, my information is a little bit outdated here. I am thinking of traditional GSM phones which still had external antenna jacks. Old car phones, by the way, had external antennas, too, which eliminated that issue. I wonder why such technical wisdom got lost in the past years.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 52, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

Also, the new 5G works the same way. I know a guy that has covered all the walls on the inside of his house with aluminum foil because a 5g antenna got put up 1/2 a block away. Poor guy is a beer short of a 6-pack. I tried to explain the difference between 5g and ionizing radiation, but it was like explaining a math problem to a monkey. Besides, you can't logic someone out of a problem they didn't logic themselves into. He's a nice guy that wouldn't hesitate to give you the shirt off his back, but goddamn is he stupid.

It's worth noting that this is potentially helpful if you're operating a lot of sensitive electronics, although you're going to have to tie everything together with aluminized tape and ground your cage.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 29 of 52, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once worked with a guy in a workplace where I had set up a local network of computers to network together so they could game together (it was a day program for mentally challenged adults). One day he said he was having headaches and he said he thought it might be from the wi-fi signal from the network that was set up because he said whenever he's around routers he gets headaches.

Except that I had turned the wi-fi radio off in lieu of physical ethernet cable-only connections. That's about when I stopped questioning the health safety of wi-fi radio signals near as much as I had sparingly in the past.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 30 of 52, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MusicallyInspired wrote:

I once worked with a guy in a workplace where I had set up a local network of computers to network together so they could game together (it was a day program for mentally challenged adults). One day he said he was having headaches and he said he thought it might be from the wi-fi signal from the network that was set up because he said whenever he's around routers he gets headaches.

Except that I had turned the wi-fi radio off in lieu of physical ethernet cable-only connections. That's about when I stopped questioning the health safety of wi-fi radio signals near as much as I had sparingly in the past.

Actually there is a pretty simple and plausible explanation for the symptoms people claim to experience based on EM - it just has nothing to do with EM itself.

Most devices intentionally radiating EM are electronic devices, and unless you're talking about big-ass radars or enterprise-grade equipment, they tend to be small things in the consumer electronics category - i.e. cheaply made. One of the classic issues with cheap electronics is coil whine, i.e. electromagnetically excited acoustic noise, vibrations induced in passive electronic components generating high-frequency noise. Exact frequncy varies depending on the compontent and the circuit, but the problematic ones are around the limits of human hearing, 15-20kHz for adults. Sounds near someone's limit generally won't be consciously registered, but are documented to cause stress and discomfort - so much so that commercial products are available ("The Mosquito") that exploit the fact that young people are more sensitive to higher frequencies and are supposed to discourage youths loitering, without affecting adults nearby. Electronics producuing similar sounds could well have similar results.

I'm both blessed and cursed with exceptionally good sensitivity to high frequencies for my age, as in my fourties I can still easily discern 21kHz and sometimes 22kHz (despite a youth and adulthood misspent at metal concerts without protection...). That Mosquito is actually low enough in frequency (17.4kHz) that I just hear it as a sound rather than get irritated by it, and I hear all kinds of other devices unintentionally producing similar sounds. It generally seems to come from coils in power supplies exposed to AC or other oscillating sources. Some hot glue to the offending component usually fixes the problem.

In the case you mention this could be what the gentleman was experiencing - he blamed EM / WiFi, which patently obviously wasn't the case as he experienced it when WiFi was disabled - but if it was a whining coil in the router's power supply it would have been present whenever the device was powered on, regardless of WiFi status.

Reply 34 of 52, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Muz wrote:

I think WiFi is harmful, every night I have insomnia. When I wake up after sleep, I feel bit of headache.

Before you blame wifi look up insomnia and see if you can change all the other sources of it. For example sitting in front of a computer screen at night or looking at your smartphone a lit. ad that is just the tip of the iceberg.
But you can use tinfoil and put that thick on all your walls and maybe fashion yourself a nice tin foil hat to wear at night.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 35 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MusicallyInspired wrote:

I for one have mixed feelings about that topic. For one, I can understand the concerns of people in our EM polluted times
(esp. when GHz ranges come into play), on the other hand, however, I do think that some of the symptoms they are claiming
to have are of pure psychic nature.

To give an example, people seem to panic if they see CB or amateur radio antennas, whereas in the 70s, 80s, 90s,
they where a common part of about every townscape and no one complained,
As a ham, current times are tough. You'll be insulted of contaminating other people by radiation.

Yes, "radiation". That's as far as we came. Even though if the radio is switched off and there's no one in the shack to
push the mike button, people will spontaneously "observe" health issues and problems with their electronics.

Even though you'll explain them that either your CB radio is certified and/or you're skilled enough
to have ham license, it doesn't change their minds. However, the very same people sleep with their phones and
a quick look on your own smartphone/tablet shows a neighbourhood that is full of WiFi SSiDs.

Edit: Typos fixed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 36 of 52, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MusicallyInspired wrote:

It could be from the high pitched sound that some electronics put out.

I can hear some SSDs working - they make a high pitched ticking/squealing sound. I also used to get headaches from the high pitch sound that a lot of CRTs produced.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 37 of 52, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

I also used to get headaches from the high pitch sound that a lot of CRTs produced.

You know what, this used to bother me too. They sound like one of those anti-dog alarms. But I haven't used a CRT in years, so I don't know if it would still bug me.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 38 of 52, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If possible to minimize radiation, then always do it!

There are things some people feel, but it is impossible to make clear if they do not hear or notice or feel it,
just like someone can sleep in a room with ticking clock, while another one like me prefer total silence.
Well, after several hours of these GSM mobile internet devices near me I get constantly tinnitus for several hours.

WIFI? For night of course turn it off and turn it off when not needed or just prefer the shielded twisted pair cable. It is clear that the nature cant stand microwaves. Based on how people set up these accesspoints, it is like they live in a microwave owens.

Also do not keep the cellphone near to your body and use the headset when talking or just keep the talks brief without it. The safety regulations were just considered for a max 5 minutes long talk, but now there is much more activity on the phones, higher frequencies and activity which is higher hazard. Some stupid people have a habit to keep the phone nearby while sleeping. It disturbs sleep both technically and psychologically (the radiation, and the feeling of "might miss something" as the mind does not really shut off for a night sleep when that "handgod" is switched on).

Also, in the room where you sleep it is recommended to turn off all electronic equipment and to have atleast 2 meters away from your body. If you sleep with head close to wall pay attention that behind the other side of the wall there is no TV-set, strong magnetic field generating devices.

Also the another hazard are the fluorescent lights and other impulse powered things which are whizzling in the room.

The safety sheets cant be trusted always, just becouse now it is a lot different world than it was a while ago.
Just like the pharmacy industry pays for 90% of the "independent" test results and order the "correct results", then it is no different in electronics industry.
The standards are manipulated by "industry" and they can buy the "correct" measurement results for safety, just as the industry did the same thing with the induction heatplates/heaters, while the scientists proved that induction cooking plate is worthless also for heating water.

The same question should be like is it safe to live under the high voltage lines becouse of their magnetic fields emission? ... now seek information about the 1MV lines and its magnetic fields.

A Faraday cage is a nice one. 😁 😁 HOwever this is a hamradio humor about the singing huge metal plates at the garage corners becouse they get resonant to the strong AM-station nearby. 😉

In fact the nearby TV and radio station powerful antennas can disturb also the sensitive equipment (becouse every one meter cable acts as an antenna nearby such transmitters!).

Still it is quite nuissance nowadays for a people who have a very good hearing at high frequencies or very flat one up to 18..19kHz as there are much more highbuzzing equipment around.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 39 of 52, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
I for one have mixed feelings about that topic. For one, I can understand the concerns of people in our EM polluted times (esp. […]
Show full quote

I for one have mixed feelings about that topic. For one, I can understand the concerns of people in our EM polluted times
(esp. when GHz ranges come into play), on the other hand, however, I do think that some of the symptoms they are claiming
to have are of pure psychic nature.

To give an example, people seem to panic if they see CB or amateur radio antennas, whereas in the 70s, 80s, 90s,
they where a common part of about every townscape and no one complained,
As a ham, current times are tough. You'll be insulted of contaminating other people by radiation.

Yes, "radiation". That's as far as we came. Even though if the radio is switched off and there's no one in the shack to
push the mike button, people will spontaneously "observe" health issues and problems with their electronics.

Even though you'll explain them that either your CB radio is certified and/or you're skilled enough
to have ham license, it doesn't change their minds. However, the very same people sleep with their phones and
a quick look on your own smartphone/tablet shows a neighbourhood that is full of WiFi SSiDs.

Edit: Typos fixed.

this is certainly something I recognize even here in Sweden. 😀 I am the another one who "has more antennas on the roof and surrounding than just one TV might need". 😉

The people complain about the middlewave 160m dipole, but about the 10 wifi hotspots in the neighbourhood the neighbour says that it does not concern him. This is really their stupidity and as they are brainwashed by massmedia. At the same time they do not protest about 5G and have every item in their household with wifi and find ethernet cables tedious.

Also they are not observant about the PLC, crappy impulse power modules, and all other uses of the powerlines. Hey they do not know that the AC is never again 50Hz only.

BY the way...
Well, they really do not understand that those whos roof look like spaceship, is not disturbing the "common people", but the nearby common people households and industry is disturbing them instead! However also the common people miss point that the hamradio operators are a very good help about finding the bad contacts in the nearby faulty transformers , thus reducing the riscs for another burned down "transformerhouses".

The bad thing... 🙁 🙁
Also the airway surveillance do not give a crap about the static unless it is really a commercial institution making a complain. They say that the hamradio radiolines are non-prioritized and are not protected from interference and have no right to have a interference clean reception "becouse they are trying to get very weak signals". "Very WEAK SIGNALS"?! Well, the ordinary pocket AM middlewave-shortware radio is buzzing nuts and impossible to listen a radio stations at all lately, so they cant keep clean not even the commercial broadcast below 30Mhz !!!

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!