VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For every time I had to wait for Windows to restart, I'd be a rich man.

Just saying.

Windows 98 restarts too much and it's sucking my life away.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It only does it if you keep installing stuff / changing settings. Once you get it to a steady state, it should be fine...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 7, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have this issue with 98 and I find it starts quite quickly (on a PIIII + 512mb 100mhz) and rarely needs to restart (except during the initial phase of screwing with IRQ settings in the device manager), you must be messing with some kind of software or hardware settings that's requiring these reboots?

I've always found later Windows versions to be the nightmares with the automatic update crap and self updating software.

..........A new version of javascript is ready to install [click here whether you like it or not]

<3 updates are ready, your computer will restart in 10 minutes, or you can click here to defer it for 4 hours. Good luck not being on the toilet or else all your work is gone in 9:59... 9:58...

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One little thing will take that waiting for the slooooooooowwww HDD time and reduce it to almost nothing.

SSD

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had some machines that were ROCK SOLID with 95/98 (even pre-OSR2 95!) and others that have just been hopeless messes. I think a lot of the issues were due to hardware (in)support back in the day; the OEMs cheaped out or made stuff not-quite-to-spec, and MS couldn't be arsed to find workarounds or fixes for every little thing.

My Thinkpad 365 has been running the same 95-non-OSR install since it's left the factory and I can't remember ever even seeing a blue screen, but IBM were known for stability & support back then so presumably they took the time to get it right.

OTOH in its heyday I did 99% of my computing on custom builds with whatever hardware broke-teenage-me could get my hands on, so naturally I came to hate 95/98 with the burning passion of 1000 suns. 😜 That said, I've softened a bit on it over the years, but these days I'm used to Linux installs which take 30 minutes and support all the hardware straight out of the box, so going through the install driver-reboot-fix-reboot routine is kinda painful.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 7 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally I had good experience on my Windows 95 based machine at that time, and later, the Win98SE based machines.

Probably the hardware parts I had those days contributed to the pleasant experience - an experience I still cherish now and have re-built the Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines to relive them like the early 90's.

I remember some incidents of BSOD in Windows 98 or ME, in the cybercafe when I was in college. At home, I don't think I had any substantial problem.

Right now maintaining Windows 95+DOS machine, a Windows 98SE+WinXP+Linux TinyCore machine in addition to my main Desktop. Other than that, I have also installed Windows 95 in 86Box (which is able to run Win95 smoothly in an emulated P90 CPU in my laptop), for Win95 gaming on-the-go.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers