VOGONS

Common searches

Ebay thread goodbye thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This is thread to say your goodbyes to the ebay auctions thread and/or post comments, ask questions, give suggestions.
I left the old one open for 2 weeks after the announcement that it would be closed and I had naively assumed that you would have said your goodbyes to it, but most of you kinda ignored it and kept on posting 😀

It's not a new ebay auctions thread! (and don't create one please)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 1 of 205, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

ask questions

Well, I guess I'd ask the main question - why?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 5 of 205, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ We would like to know why it 'needed' to be closed. You didn't respond to any of the feedback in the thread & it seems pretty arbitrary. Sure there were some people causing problems in it (despite repeated attempts from the rest of us to keep things civil & on track 😠 ) but they could have been dealt with easily enough.

I totally understand wanting to keep actual trading off the board, but discussing items at auction or selling prices etc. is an inevitable part of dealing with old gear.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 205, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welp, I didn't think you would actually close it. And now you've ended pretty much the only really good thread that kept the majority of us coming back to vogons for anything. I'm pretty sure you're going to see the overall activity site-wide on vogons diminish now, and it's all your fault.

I'm definitely leaving. Already decided I would leave if it was closed and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I almost left completely before when that random idiot person from ebay came in and harassed me and the admins didn't do jack squat about it. Only reason I came back was the ebay thread.

Good job admins, you've killed your forums.

And I'm sure you'll just delete this so no one can see it and silence me but I don't care either.

Reply 7 of 205, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
hard1k wrote:
Qbix wrote:

ask questions

Well, I guess I'd ask the main question - why?

Fair enough.

There are quite a lot of reasons as to why the ebay auctions thread was closed, so here is a small list of things that are fresh on my mind:

• Advertising only accounts, or accounts which do mainly advertising. (or people cross-advertising, A advertises B, B advertises A. While "technically" allowed, it is clearly trying to work around the intention of the rules.). This has happened quite a few times.
  • The drama and it spilling over to the rest of the forum. The X is a bad person thread is fresh in my mind and suggestion to DOX the person was totally not okay in my book.
  • Vogons is (or at least intended to be) an archive with useful information, while the ebay thread contains a lot of useful information, most of the information and links are outdated because the auctions have ended.
  • At times Milliways felt like an ebay discussion forum instead of a part of vogons. (and no, I don't want to add an ebay discussion forum, as that is really far from the goals of vogons)
  • The thread became too large and became a forum of itself with its own rules, groups and it was a pain to moderate (and thus ended up being mostly unmoderated and aside from cleaning up the drama)
  • Did I mention the drama ? Let me mention it again.
  • It is counterproductive to the no trading rule, although it kinda went alright.

Reply 8 of 205, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That thread was pure comedy most of the time: rants about availability of hardware and how everything was cheaper 10+ years ago, how youtube channels are ruining the hobby, badmouthing ebay sellers and sellers HILARIOUSLY coming to defend themselves… I also visited it every day, but not looking for deals 😜

It'll be missed.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 9 of 205, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And now also I get to spend a few hours today and go back to find any of my old posts where I actually contributed any useful information and delete the posts. I don't want to contribute anything to this place after this happened.

Reply 10 of 205, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
kithylin wrote:

And now also I get to spend a few hours today and go back to find any of my old posts where I actually contributed any useful information and delete the posts. I don't want to contribute anything to this place after this happened.

Are you sure you want to go that destructive while the discussion is going on ?

Reply 11 of 205, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Are you sure you want to go that destructive while the discussion is going on ?

Pretty damn sure, yep. You took away the best thread on the site and won't let us create a new one. So there's no point to exist here anymore.

Reply 12 of 205, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sad to see a popular and much loved thread end like this. Are you sure this was the best way to end the drama? Closing an active thread should be the absolute last resort, I feel sorry for the innocent people that were active in it... 😢

386:
- CPU: 386DX-40 (128kB external L1 cache)
- RAM: 8MB (0 waitstates at 40MHz)
- VGA: Diamond SpeedSTAR VGA (ET4000AX 1MB ISA)
- Audio: SB Pro 2.0 + GUS 1MB
- ISA PS/2 mouse card + ISA USB card
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 13 of 205, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wasn't sure I was going to put a forum up on my new site I am working on.. but because the eBay thread is being closed here I definitely will.

I'll make a post here on Vogons once it is set up so we can continue to have an eBay thread.. even if it is not here on Vogons.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 205, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Wasn't sure I was going to put a forum up on my new site I am working on.. but because the eBay thread is being closed here I definitely will.

I'll make a post here on Vogons once it is set up so we can continue to have an eBay thread.. even if it is not here on Vogons.

VCF already has an Ebay thread, and a Craigslist thread, and a lot of us are already members over there. Good luck with your forum, but just saying.

Plus a lot of the regulars on VCF are incredibly old farts, so at least there's comparitively little drama.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 17 of 205, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

VCF already has an Ebay thread, and a Craigslist thread, and a lot of us are already members over there. Good luck with your forum, but just saying.

Plus a lot of the regulars on VCF are incredibly old farts, so at least there's comparitively little drama.

In that case, I may have to join and just use the eBay thread over there.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 205, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

For those that are unaware, the VCF is over here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum.php

I can't find the ebay thread, but the craigslist thread is over here: www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?2507 ... sightings)

And unlike vogons, over on VCF they actually support trading, and even have an entire sub-section of their forums just for trading between members, and even fully support and encourage people posting their own items, and promoting their own ebay listings in there.

Trade section here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?2 … r-Sale-or-Trade

It's literally everything the admins on vogons wouldn't allow us to do here.

Reply 19 of 205, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yup, vogons has been suggesting to use other sites for trading since the ban

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper