VOGONS

Common searches

Ebay thread goodbye thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 180 of 205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

Perhaps I did not phrase it as best as I could. What I meant is that - even if you think this kind of bragging does the community good, the 'retro hw you bought thread' provides opportunity for it, and there is no need for the questionable 'eBay deals' thread.

I couldn't have said it better. A bragging post in 'retro hardware you bought' thread does not have to include ebay links. And even if it did, the said link is already useless for promotional purpose, because the item has already been bought. Also, the item(s) in question doesn't necessarily have to be bought from ebay. Heck, one could find a shiny NOS Voodoo5 6000 on a local garage sale, and then show it on the

The B&W DM302 I recently bought? Or the Outlaw ICBM Bass Management System for my gaming home theater setup? They are both from ebay, but I no longer bother to include the ebay links, because such links will expire sooner or later anyway, so why bother?

ygfS3OB.jpg

By the way, nice speakers, aren't they? 😎 Come on you braggarts! Brag away! I know you like it! 🤣

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 182 of 205, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I'm quite pessimistic about IP ban. Masking your IP is not that difficult. Come on, I did it several times ...

Are there still technical folks of our proficiency who don't use a VPN and/or Tor?

If you live in a five-eyes country, didn't pay attention to Snowden, and don't use a VPN, well I just don't know what to say...

This post sounds worryingly like it's implying Tor and VPN are solutions to government surveillance.

It's a lot more complicated than that.

Reply 184 of 205, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KT7AGuy wrote:

Man, you guys are making me think I'm overly paranoid or something. Next you're gonna tell me that the earth is round and there's no turtle or elephants.

Nope.... Not paranoid at all. Though the earth is round, elephants and turtles do excist. Dodos did go extinct though. 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 185 of 205, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
brostenen wrote:
Not using VPN or other masking technology eighter. The only thing I use, is Adblock Plus in Firefox on Linux. I did however, pre […]
Show full quote

Not using VPN or other masking technology eighter. The only thing I use, is Adblock Plus in Firefox on Linux.
I did however, previously, use one of those anti geoblocking plugin, when I wanted to read news from other continents.
Yeah... Following the news in America these days, are a must, as well as news from the UK.
Nice to see how things are and how people act, think and live in other places.
And sometimes news from us is 1 week old here in Denmark. Better get it the same day.

Well, if you are getting US "news" from any of the big "news" companies... CBS, NBC, CNN, etc. then you can pretty much almost 100% know for a fact that almost all of what they put up as "news" is fake made up stories in order to try to control the people.

Hopefully that will be coming to an end pretty soon though. The trash they have been peddling for the past 10+ years is appalling.

Only major fake is Fox. They make up non real stuff, and are more biased than anyone else, amongst the big news. Nope. Not tuning in to fox. That said. I do not go to any of the other big ones. Like CNN, NBC and so on. These days, I mostly watch TYT, David Pakman and RingOfFire.

Regarding UK news, I go for BBC.

Yes. I read and watch a lot of progressive news. I am after all from Scandinavia. Rightwing news simply do not apeal to me at all.

Reply 186 of 205, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

The simplest solution to government surveillance (at least, NSA-style stuff) is to just not give a damn.

Or just dont spill the beans of ones life on the internet in the first place. That said. Imagine if you worked for NSA and one morning, got the assignment to snoop around on Fetlife? Or some other site like that. Or did not know what lemonparty is. (Dont google that shit... I warn you all)

Reply 188 of 205, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/as5HjpJ.gif?noredirect […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

Dont google that

as5HjpJ.gif?noredirect

I've seen worse. As someone who has been on the internet since 1993, I've seen MUCH worse.

True...
Had my first taste of the internet around december 1994. Seen stuff that are much worse as well. In these days, you can't just go around searching for whatever stuff, unless you want someone taking notice. Remember when we used to be free on the net. Back when freedom really ruled on it?
That was the real wild west of the internet. Shure a lot of illegal stuff was around everywere, and it is nice that it is not around unless someone really want to dig for it. Today we are only lucky that we can not stumble on it by accident. Wich was why people was accesing illegal stuff by accident back in the mid 90's. Happy that at least that was gone, despite we all lost the real freedom of the internet.

Two sides to the medal.

Reply 189 of 205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I've seen worse. As someone who has been on the internet since 1993, I've seen MUCH worse.

True...
Had my first taste of the internet around december 1994. Seen stuff that are much worse as well.

hello.jpg, anyone?

There were really things you just cannot un-see.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 190 of 205, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And stuff, that if one would download today. Will cash in, a free vacation on Guantanamo. Just saying.
Yup... As I said. The internet is not free anymore, and has not been the past 16 years or so.

Reply 191 of 205, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone showed me Steak and Cheese while in university. Some stuff, like the video of Link in the strip bar, was hilarious. Just text descriptions, though, so you invariably hit a video that you absolutely never want to.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 192 of 205, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
brostenen wrote:
luckybob wrote:

True...
Had my first taste of the internet around december 1994. Seen stuff that are much worse as well.

hello.jpg, anyone?

There were really things you just cannot un-see.

Something Awful's swap.avi
Search for it yourself. This is as bad as it ever got.
Not safe for work or sanity. You've been warned.

It's less gritty nowadays. Social media has taken over everything and it's just so fuggin lame. I'm not on Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In, or any of the other brain-melting stupidities that comprise the contemporary Internet.

Aside from VOGONS, Fark.com is pretty much the only site I think is still worth reading. Even there, today's version of Fark is a watered-down, sugar-free, diet soda compared to the hard whiskey it used to be.

I often stop to consider if all this silly bullshit is worth the monthly payment for Internet service. Steam is pretty much the only thing that forces me to maintain my own personal internet connection anymore.

(My lawn. Get off of it.)

Reply 193 of 205, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
Errius wrote:

Apparently (I didn't know this) eBay cuts you a % of the sale price if a buyer surfs into an auction from a link you provide. That's where the butthurt is coming from. People were earning money from that thread.

If true, wow. I had no idea either.

I had no idea either.

I did read that thread, mostly due to it being very active, but I also saw it attract some not too classy attention which frankly I will never miss after its gone.

And lets not start the debate about VCF and their definition of retro and vintage, there's all kinds of reasons for one way or the other (I also have my reasons which I prefer to leave out since this thread has nothing to do with it).

That thread did have some useful bits of information (otherwise I would've never read it 🤣) but it's not the reason why I came here. To me it's more the knowledge that matters and not to get the most update prices of whatever gear there is.

Deleting old informative bits of information us kinda lame, since the information repository imo is much more important then any trade thread with mostly replies like "Check out this SB16!" and the link being dead and no further information. Not all too useful in the long run.

Errius wrote:

Money always brings out the worst in people. There's another community I've been a member of nearly 20 years which has recently torn itself apart over the issue of monetizing old games. People who were online friends for years are now prosecuting each other for fraud and libel. The atmosphere is poisonous.

Which community was this?

And instead of replying to every sensible thing that's been said here, if this thread messes up the edit button then I'm glad to see it and its drama go and see my edit buttom back 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 194 of 205, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

Holy cats! Apparently I missed a LOT in the last week eh?

Lol, this was my first thought when I read up on all of this 😵

386_junkie wrote:

Let's get back to our roots and actually DO something with the hardware rather than trying to buy/sell it.

My regards to the mods,

^^This

My vote is we take his IP (Jade Falcon/Kithylin) and DDOS him into another dimension until he gets the message that retaliatory action will be taken and he will not be tolerated.

Lets not 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 195 of 205, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

The simplest solution to government surveillance (at least, NSA-style stuff) is to just not give a damn.

658.png

posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=635550

Oh yeah, early internet had it all. (Removed for other people's sanity, as spoiler tags don't seem to work on this forum.) Do not google these, not safe for life.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 196 of 205, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well...
i am not on facebook eighter. I was previously, as it was something new and I had to, at least see what all the fuzz was about. After I began realising that 99 percent used it as a platform for their ego mania, I found no use for it personally. To me it has no value. And then came all that Twitter and Snapchat stuff, and I was like, no way man, as they just seemed like yet another platform for selfpromoting ego mania. It's all about you and not a place were people are truly social.

Nope... No socalled social network for me, as it is more a kind of a narcissist's ultimate wet dream. I just don't want to be a part of that.

Reply 197 of 205, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We've got a similar thread running on overclockers.au, I asked the Mod If I can link here and he was cool with it.
Its Australian centric but another resource none the less.

We have a small trading section but you have to be registered.

Reply 198 of 205, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

Well...
i am not on facebook eighter. I was previously, as it was something new and I had to, at least see what all the fuzz was about. After I began realising that 99 percent used it as a platform for their ego mania, I found no use for it personally. To me it has no value. And then came all that Twitter and Snapchat stuff, and I was like, no way man, as they just seemed like yet another platform for selfpromoting ego mania. It's all about you and not a place were people are truly social.

Nope... No socalled social network for me, as it is more a kind of a narcissist's ultimate wet dream. I just don't want to be a part of that.

In The Netherlands there's this joke or saying that when it comes to soccer, there's 11 players in the field, couple more in reserve and 17 million soccer coaches. I think that in reality it's a bit less then 17 million as not all people are selfish like that.

Lots of people pretend to be social, but all they do is act or pretend so they are liked more.

dirkmirk wrote:
We've got a similar thread running on overclockers.au, I asked the Mod If I can link here and he was cool with it. Its Australia […]
Show full quote

We've got a similar thread running on overclockers.au, I asked the Mod If I can link here and he was cool with it.
Its Australian centric but another resource none the less.

We have a small trading section but you have to be registered.

I couldn't register there the few times I tried due to me using hotmail and such 😵

Report spammers here!

Reply 199 of 205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

Something Awful's swap.avi
Search for it yourself. This is as bad as it ever got.
Not safe for work or sanity. You've been warned.

Is that the same as Two Girls One Cup?