VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 29, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AMD / ATI continue to support their cards from a decade ago

Radeon 2900XT/3870 - completely dropped support in 2013, in fact around 2011-2012.
GeForce 8800GTX - completely dropped support only in 2016.

Radeon 5870/6970 - completely dropped support in 2015.
GeForce GTX 480/580 - added DX12 support in recent drivers, still kicking (SLI profiles for new games, etc).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Azarien wrote:

Support for 32-bit OS is not the same as support for 32-bit games/applications in 64-bit OS.

True. Especially in respect to Intel dropping UEFI CSM (legacy BIOS support) for new systems in 2020 - 32-Bit OS support will come to an end anyway..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 29, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

To be fair, I don't know of many people who are using a 32 bit os with 2012-hardware onwards 😀

There are still some tablets/subnetbooks/netbooks that ships with Windows 10 32 bit (i.e.: this tablet, the page is in spanish). Obviously, not gaming devices, but still at 32 bit. You could add older devices sold with (cheaper) 32 bit licences instead of 64 bit.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 25 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

But do these need newer drivers? The existing ones will still work and these devices will not have a new graphics card that needs new drivers.
Don't forget that just because Nvidia won't make new drivers, old ones will still be downloadable.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 27 of 29, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Hmm. 390.65 are out and they seem to support x86 architecture yet.

That's because the 390.xx drivers are the end of the line for 32-bit. I imagine driver versions 391+ will be 64-bit only.

citation header post quote wrote:
When is the NVIDIA driver ending support for 32-bit operating systems? […]
Show full quote

When is the NVIDIA driver ending support for 32-bit operating systems?

After Release 390, NVIDIA will no longer release drivers for 32-bit operating systems(1) for any GPU architecture. Later driver release versions will not operate, nor install, on 32-bit operating systems. Driver enhancements, driver optimizations, and operating system features in driver versions after Release 390 will not be incorporated back into Release 390 or earlier versions.
NVIDIA intends to support critical driver security fixes until January 2019.

In other words, expect to see updated 390.xx driver releases until 2019.

Reply 28 of 29, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AMD? Long term supporting their products? Don't make me laugh. You get 3-5 years max.

NVidia are generally much better. I've a very low end Geforce 210 from 2009 - that stopped being supported at the end of 2016. GTS450 from 2010? Still supported. driver updated two days ago..

Radeon HD6450 (and then re-released the following year as 7450) from 2012? Stopped being supported in 2015. Last beta driver was a buggy pile of shit that blue screened systems.

Reply 29 of 29, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Iris030380 wrote:
Really? Just months after the release of Pascal Nvidia announced "Critical updates and support only" going forward for Maxwell, […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Frankly, I'm always amazed at how long nvidia provides driver support for their hardware and for older operating systems. The 8800GTX was officially supported and received updates until December of last year. That's 10 years of driver support!

Its also amazing that they still provide the downloads on their site. Most manufacturers seem to have this problem where they have to totally wipe out their website and start fresh every other year which leads to tons of broken download links or page redirects that go nowhere. I can download Riva 128ZX drivers for Windows 95 without having to go to third party sites. They even have a driver for Windows 3.11 listed on an older page if you look for the 95 driver. Basically, the only thing you can't find on nvidia's website would be NV1 drivers (or custom drivers for mobile parts, but you can get modified drivers from other sites easily).

Really? Just months after the release of Pascal Nvidia announced "Critical updates and support only" going forward for Maxwell, their previous cards! No more optimizations. My friend had just put £600 into a brand new TOP END Gtx980Ti only 6 months before Nvidia dropped support for his card!

Nvidia are the worst! AMD / ATI continue to support their cards from a decade ago, with performance of the 7870 eventually passing the GTX960, the R9 290 beating the 970 outright and catching the 980, and the 390X dominating the 980 and snapping at the heels of the 980Ti / 1070 in Vulkan!

Nvidia do not support their customers, or have drive to support their old hardware. They want you to constantly buy their new product, even if you bought £600 top end gear less than a year ago.

Yeah yeah,

HD5xxx series- Released in mid 2009 - unsupported by Crimson drivers since late 2015.
8800 G80 cards - First released in late 2006 - support ended 10 years after.

I despise fanaticism but... How is that poor longevity?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png